PDA

View Full Version : .44 Russian

buckshot007
July 14, 2010, 07:11
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a smokeless load for a .44 Russian? I've seen a beautiful looking Da no3 at a price that might just be possible and would be interested in actually shooting it occasionally?

richbug
July 14, 2010, 07:49
I made some up for my Marlin 1894. Not sure if they would have been safe loads in an old S&W though.

Texas Jaguar
July 14, 2010, 08:00
Just use .44 special loading data. The two are quite similar and with bullets of comparable weights the powder charge info will work for either of them.

Remember .44 special not .44 magnum.

Retired Bum
July 14, 2010, 12:36
Do NOT use .44 Special loading data. The .44 Russian case is .970". The .44 Special is 1.155". That means that there is less powder capacity. You can use .44 Russian data in the .44 Special without any problems. But not vice versa. The operating pressure will be higher and this could put undue strain on an old Number Three Russian.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

FUUN063
July 14, 2010, 15:20
Why is it that every time I talk myself out of getting another older Smith, one of you guys end up looking at getin' another one!:sad:

Yer killin' me with these old guns. I have a few, but thought that gettin' into FAL's was a substitute for the Smith's of long ago. I was wrong, it's just a "gateway gun".:cry:

Leland :shades:

JohnnyMac
July 14, 2010, 17:38
Google is your friend...

Reloading info for .44 Russian (http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/44russ/index.html)

JMc

Story
July 15, 2010, 07:46
Originally posted by buckshot007
Just wondering if anyone has ever used a smokeless load for a .44 Russian? I've seen a beautiful looking Da no3 at a price that might just be possible and would be interested in actually shooting it occasionally?

Stick with what the weapon was designed for - use FFFG black powder and a Lee Loader.

Also, these guys have a good deal on 50-round boxes of .44 Russian (if you're near me and plan to order a box, PM me and we can split shipping)

http://www.powderinc.com/

TideWater 41009
July 17, 2010, 14:31
You can safely use smokeless powder loads in your .44 Russian revolver. If you are going to shoot the gun, I would advise NOT using black powder, as the extra effort in cleaning all the residue (or worse yet, NOT cleaning it all out) would put more wear and tear on the gun than just shooting light loads with smokeless powder.

I have a German M1883 Reichsrevolver in 10.6 x 25R caliber, which is nearly identical to the .44 Russian, and was used as the test gun in the .44 Russian loading link that JohnnyMac so kindly provided above. I use a charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye power with a 205 grain cast lead bullet (mold was designed for the .44-40) in mine and it shoots great.

My revolver was manufactured in Erfurt in 1893 and is in outstanding condition. In addition, it is a family heirloom which I would hate to see damaged in any way. I have shot hundreds of rounds of this load (and hotter ones in my younger, even more foolish days) and it has not hurt the gun in any way.

MtnWulf
July 17, 2010, 21:08
I have an Uberti copy of the S&W #3 Russian, and have used the Black Hills smokeless loads.

Very easy shooting load, and very accurate, probably the most accurate revolver I've shot out to 50 yards, even with the vestigial sights.