PDA

View Full Version : School me on M203's

DesertFALrat
July 10, 2010, 11:32
I'm looking at getting an LMT M203. They are going for under 2K NIB.

What are the pro's and con's between the 9" and the 12" model.

Are there some shells that can't be used in the 9" version?

Can I use either on a 20" upper, or am I limited somehow?

I have an 11.5" SBR, but I can go to 14.5" if I need to for proper fit.

Will the 12" model fit on anything shorter than a 20" govt length upper?

Realistically, what shells are available besides the chalk practice rounds.

(I understand that I'm unlikely to buy any 40mm HE)

GOVT1911
July 10, 2010, 13:31
Originally posted by DesertFALrat
I'm looking at getting an LMT M203. They are going for under 2K NIB.

What are the pro's and con's between the 9" and the 12" model.

(A) There will be a SMALL difference in MV, but realistically, no biggie.

Are there some shells that can't be used in the 9" version?

The only difference is the barrel length....With a the way the barrel slides open, some longer shells (CS is one...) you can't get'em chambered unless you use the barrel release latch, remove the barrel, insert round and slide barrel back on. Easier than it sounds, but you shouldn't really run across this issue unless you load you own flares/smokes really long...)

Can I use either on a 20" upper, or am I limited somehow?

(A) Same mounts for either, IF you go with the "normal" or older style. (there are small white spacers used with the mount if you're putting it on a pencil-barrel A1) Most manufacturers now offer them with rail mounts, which I HIGHLY reccomend. Easier, more solid and you can swap it between different rifles as long as they have decent rails) On that note, use a quality rail. UTG stuff won't stand up to the recoil of the rounds or 12ga rounds. I have one on a Daniel Defense rail and I have had zero problems)

I have an 11.5" SBR, but I can go to 14.5" if I need to for proper fit.

(A) If you've got rails on your 11.5, see above answer. The "normal" mounts for an M203 use the little step cut in M4 barrels.....I'm guessing your 11.5 doesn't have the cut.....(I have seen guys mod their mounts for shorter barrels, though.)

Will the 12" model fit on anything shorter than a 20" govt length upper?

(A) Literally, the only difference between the 12" and 9" is the barrel.........the barrels are interchangeable....

Realistically, what shells are available besides the chalk practice rounds.

(A) You can get Parachute flares, but they'll run you about $40-50 each. Buckshot are around, but again, pricy. Smokes are there but getting harder to find.

Clyde's Armory has crates of the chalk practice rounds, IIRC they run around $7 each if you buy a case.

BUT......you can load your own chalk, smoke or flare rounds VERY easily. Doesn't even require any special tools besides normal hand tools!!! I've been reloading for 37 and 40mm for about 10 years.....Do some searching on gunbroker for the zinc pushers and the blue plastic windscreens. You can reuse the zincs a few times before they're too beat up.
I have some molds that I use to cast my own pushers and windscreens from resin....works pretty damn good and it's CHEAP!!!

I hang out over on Grog's 37mm and 40mm board. TONS of VERY knowledgable guys (and gals!) over there. Grog makes and sells the molds if you want to cast your own projos, he also makes and sells molds for loading buckshot and flechette (they sit in a carrier/sabot kinda thingy and that's loaded into the case.)

As for the LMT, they are good launchers. do some searching on the 'net and you'll see there are actually a couple different manufacturers.

You can buy the complete launcher as a DD or you can find just the complete receiver and buy that without the barrel as a regular title 1 (same as a regular rifle), then buy a barrel and file your form 1 and pay your tax to "make" it yourself. You can usually safe a couple hundred doing it this way and all you do to "make" it is slide the barrel on......BE SURE TO FOLLOW ALL NFA LAWS!!! Do NOT have both the receiver AND the barrel in your possession until you get your fun stamp back!!!!!

You can have a TON of fun with a 40mm.....9 or 19 shot .22lr "behive" rounds, 3-shot 9mm rounds, 12/20/.410 shotgun adapters, etc.

(I understand that I'm unlikely to buy any 40mm HE)

Cava3r4
February 02, 2011, 22:42
how about an M-79??
can you buy those?
what is the cost?
can you get shells?
what kind and how much?
The good old blooper sure did a good job in nam but it wasn't as "exciting" shooting it as the Ma Deuce M2 and the 90 mm main gun.
Bob

Sig220
February 02, 2011, 22:49
Originally posted by Cava3r4
how about an M-79??
can you buy those?
what is the cost?
can you get shells?
what kind and how much?
The good old blooper sure did a good job in nam but it wasn't as "exciting" shooting it as the Ma Deuce M2 and the 90 mm main gun.
Bob

The M203 and M79 use the same shells. So whatever Govt1911 said about them for the M203 would apply for the M79.

Other then that, I don't know much about cost, availability and all.

Tim Dreas
February 03, 2011, 16:13
I believe the 11.5 inch XM-15E2 was lengthened from 10 inches in order to take the M-203. The barrel has to be the thin A1 type, not the thicker A2 type to take the original military barrel mounts. That's why the M-4 has the thin step in the barrel. I'm not sure on M-203 barrel length but I think the shorter ones are more popular with adapters to use on bullpup type rifles.

Jbird
February 03, 2011, 18:58
I don't own either an M79 or a M203. But I had some experience with them while in the Marine Corps.

If I were to buy one, I would spend the extra for the M79. The M203 made the rifle clumsy & heavy. I would imagine in private hands the rifle would become little more than a mount for the M203.

I told a friend the same thing before he purchased a M203. He still got the M203. Eventually he purchased a stand alone stock for the M203.

GOVT1911
February 08, 2011, 06:45
M79s can be found, but they run between $6-8k. I know several guys (and one gal!) that have built them, but the parts are getting much harder to find. The last one I saw built took the guy the best part of 8 months just to track down all the parts.

M203s are much cheaper and easier to find parts kits/parts for, as there are several manufacturers still building them.

The 40mm are all DD with all required hoops, but VERY fun to play with.

You could go cheaper and go with 37mm, they're alot cheaper and easier to find, but then you're limited on what you can shoot out of them.....unless you pay your tax and register it as a DD.....

DesertFALrat
February 08, 2011, 16:28
I bought an LMT rail mount M203. It is in transfer now.

I'll probably find some kind of stand alone mount eventually, but it will have to be able to utilize a tangent sight.

I like the idea of launching chalks 200+ meters.

For now, I plan to attach it to a Larue rail system.