PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

splogan
July 03, 2010, 02:45
If I wanted to build or have built an AR with a 10.5" barrel, suppressor, and FA fire control group, would I have to apply for three separate tax stamps or just one since it is one rifle? I have been pondering an animal like this, I may skip FA but I definitely want the SBR with suppressor.

Deltaten
July 03, 2010, 10:12
Hmmm...
To have it "built???? Not since '86, in my opinion. Perhaps have one "redesigned" from existing NFA papered stock? As I understand it.. and someone will be along shortly to correct me, no doubt ;) .... once a tax stamp is issued to a registered item; it doesn;t matter how it's configured. The exception is the suppressor, as it's (usually) a stand alone device; ie: one can for many guns. In the case of an integrally suppressed unit, IF the bbl is permanent to the rcvr and nothing can be switched out sans Dremel; it's all one stamp.

Best bet might be to investigate a reg. bolt/trigger housing and a separate can. Thataways, ya can configure any way ya want? Dunno if an SBR needs to be reg secondarily. If ya do it all ala' carte; perhaps so. As I understand it, an SBR is for a long gun outside the NFA registry that one wants to shorten below legal, shoulder-fired lengths

Mebbe a short, integrally suppressed, perm to receiver and then a registered auto-sear??? Dammit! *still* two stamps.......... :D I see no wzy around it, unless ya find one already papered in the config ya want....short, integrally suppressed, select-fire.....????????????

Yeah.. lotsa help I am! :D Figger on three stamps and yer covered! ;)

Best,
Paul

gkw
July 06, 2010, 13:11
Machine guns manufactured in this country since May, 1986 can only be possessed by military and law enforcement personnel and licensed manufacturers and dealers of machine guns. So putting M16 fire control components in a semi AR is out. That would be "manufacturing" a new machine gun.

If you had a manufacturer make a suppressor, and permanently attach it to the short barrel, so the overall length of the combination (bolt face to muzzle of suppressor) is 16" or more, then you would only need 1 stamp for the suppressor

Lee Carpentieri
July 07, 2010, 04:48
BATFE's contention is that just having one M16 trigger part in an AR-15 lower is an illegal attempt to construct an Un registered Machinegun. Now if you have a Drop in Autosear that was registered before May-1-1986 that is transferable to you, Then you can have the M16 trigger group in the AR-15 lower, BUT, If you have more than one AR-15 setup with the M16 trigger group and only one DIAS you better not get caught with the other lower with the M16 trigger group in it when the auto sear is in another lower.

As to the over all lenght of barrel, It 16 inches from one end of the barrel to the other without the muzzle device UNLESS the muzzle device is silver soldered and blind pinned permanently.

Now think about this, Look around at how many suppressors that are used and how much they sell for Less the tax stamp cost and almost the same can hold true for the SBR. Sure there fun, But as any thought to investment potential is totally lost on resale where as buying a Lightning link that is transferable with the paddles will give you the select fire capability and can use a shorter than 16 inch barrel and there cheaper than a DIAS or registered MG reciever and works off of a semi-auto AR-15 trigger group, Once you decide to sell the the AR-15 you can have a legal barreled upper on it and take the lightning link out and sell it also.

Having a Ar-15 upper with the suppressor built into the barrel or a OD or threaded barrel attached and under 16 inches would still require two tax stamps with a semi-auto weapon due to the fact the supressor is one and the SBR barrel is another tax stamp as the barrels AREN't ported al the way through to the front end, EXCEPT when using it on a registered M16 lower , Not with a DIAS or Lightning link as their NOT permanent MG recievers like a Registered M16 lower. You can read one thing and BATFE can interpert another in a trial and usally wins.

ketum3
July 08, 2010, 15:46
Originally posted by splogan
If I wanted to build or have built an AR with a 10.5" barrel, suppressor, and FA fire control group, would I have to apply for three separate tax stamps or just one since it is one rifle? I have been pondering an animal like this, I may skip FA but I definitely want the SBR with suppressor.

Simple answer:

SBR = one $200 tax stamp
Suppressor = one $200 tax stamp
FA Control Group in a post 86 gun = jail time, do not pass go, do not collect $200

It blows my mind how the market can command a 12K price tag for a nice pre 86 M16 but an agency can a brand new M4 for under a grand. NFA toys are lots of fun but a PITA to acquire. Good Luck on your journey.