PDA

View Full Version : .22 hornet

13th Warrior
June 28, 2010, 18:54
After months of sittin in the safe i have grown to love my little H&R hornet. I just wish it wasnt single shot........or maybe I do? :confused:

mnhornet
June 29, 2010, 07:38
I'd be dead broke if it came in an AR. You gotta love a nice single shot.

bykerhd
June 29, 2010, 16:55
.22 Hornet has been popular in Europe forever.
Lots of varieties have been, and some still are being built.
The Walther KKJ bolt action was one I always wanted.
Domestically, Ruger made a version of their small 77, rotary magazine, bolt action in .22 Hornet. I doubt it would measure up for accuracy against the best of the Europeans, but, you never know.

June 29, 2010, 19:01
One of my local dealers has had a M-70 Winnie in .22 Hornet for a while now. Liwise I have been lusting after for a while. Problem is that my lust factor hasn't gotten up to the ticketed price(~$1800) yet...

doubletap
June 29, 2010, 20:25
The Rugers typically suck as Hornets go. Helped a buddy try and develop loads for his that would shoot under 2". Long, long throat, and a short magazine made it an exercise in frustration. Tried heavier bullets thinking maybe the longer bearing surface would be an aid, it wasn't. Rebedded, floated, crowned, no mechanical change helped. When single loaded with long loaded 45 gr. Win. soft points it shot pretty good, but not any better than my $99 H&R single shot.
I've always hankered for one of the Ruger No. 3's in Hornet and Krag. Even if they had a long throat it wouldn't matter. As it is, my current fav is a 10" TC barrel on my 20 year old Contender frame. With a 4X Burris on it it shoots well under moa at 150 yards, and about to moa at 200. Probably the best Hornet I've ever owned. Still cranks out the 45 gr. slugs at 2475 fps too!

firewalker
June 29, 2010, 21:52
I'm glad this thread came up. I've given up on buying the classic winchester in .22 hornet. I recently have thought about just getting the ruger an now I will not. If I get a hornet for the back 40 it must be accurate to be interesting. I've looked and looked and may now have to choose between a CZ and a Browning.

mnhornet
June 30, 2010, 06:37
My Ruger #1 shoots pretty nice. I use Lil Gun for all my home brews, and the Hornady factory stuff has alot of pop with the 35gr vmax. Love my #1, but the CZ's look awful nice, and the set triggers are sweet.

maxhush
June 30, 2010, 13:23
I have a Winchester Model 43 in .22 hornet. Looking now, I would (do, funds permitting) consider a CZ 527 in .22 hornet, or the Remington Model 799 (I recall reading somewhere that they're produced by CZ). The 799 does not show on the current Remington web catalog, so they may have discontinued it (though you can do a search and find the past product announcement).

ramiller
June 30, 2010, 19:27
Remington has discontinued their import and dropped the 798 and 799 mauser rifles. CDNN had a close-out of them a few months ago. they had the 799 in .223 7.62 x 39 and .22 hornet for sale price was 389.99 in laminated stocks. if you look around you can still find some for sale. I have fired both and in my opinion the CZ527 is the better choice.

doubletap
June 30, 2010, 22:50
Wish I had the funds for a CZ 527. Love their rifles as much as the CZ-75's. Recently had a 527 American in .223 come through the shop and it took a lot of self control to pass it up. The Remmie 799 were Yugo (or Bosnian or Croat or Serbian, don't remember which) made. Similar to the CZ but without the Mauser extractor, have a sort of Sako type extractor instead. They can be decent enough, fooled with one about 20 years ago, but they don't have the fit/finish of the CZ, still the .223 I used shot well.

Timber Wolf
July 01, 2010, 15:05
I have a $60 H&R .22 Hornet rescued from a pawn shop years ago. Looks to be unfired. I have yet to mount a scope on it although I did obtain a mount and I have rings & scopes sitting around. That huge (for a Hornet) ring of steel around the breech sure gives one confidence! Just another example of a gun just sitting in the safe needing to be taken out and shot.:( :(

GIshooter
July 10, 2010, 18:10
I have an Anschutz in 22 Hornet that shoots like a dream. Looked at the Rugers when I was shopping. They were junk. Talked to several owners who were very frustrated with their accuracy. The Anschutz is worth every penny. If money was tight I'd go for the CZ.

BUFF
July 11, 2010, 08:44
I have a 10 inch barrel for my Thompson/Center Contender in .22 Hornet. It is fussy about what it likes.

Tim Dreas
July 11, 2010, 10:39
22 Hornet is a real pain to handload. The cases are small, thin and easily damaged. Finding an accurate load is easy either. The newest Speer load guide says they have discovered the secret to accurate 22 Hornet loads. Speer claims that using CCI pistol primers in 22 Hornet makes it much more accurate than using rifle primers. Speer has all new load data for using pistol primers. I think the most often stated accurate powder for 22 Hornet is Accurate Arms A1680. So maybe using CCI pistol primers and A1680 will make handloading 22 Hornet worthwhile. It's still not a "fun" cartridge to handload.

GIshooter
July 11, 2010, 16:35
I agree the cases are small and easily deformed. However I've gotten spoiled with the Anschutz. Every load I've tried has gone easily under an inch at 100 so far.
1. Virgin Winchester brass that I reamed the necks, etc.
2. Redding die set. Neck sized only
3. Hogdon Little Gun. I also have AA1680.
4. Hornady Vmaxes.
5. Leupold VX-III 2-8
I also saw the changes in the latest Speer manual recommending the pistol primers. When I have time I will load my next batch with them. I'm hoping to replicate the factory test target (one ragged hole at 100 meters!)

MAINER
July 12, 2010, 09:18
Got a nice Winchester 43. Basically a beefed-up 22 rimfire action, it doesn't pay to load it too hot. Every handload tried beats the factory stuff's groups by half.

Mine likes the 40gr Horn. V-Max and IMR-4227. Gotta love a cartridge that gets 636 loads to the pound of gunpowder. :shades:

the gman
July 15, 2010, 00:22
Originally posted by Tim Dreas
22 Hornet is a real pain to handload. The cases are small, thin and easily damaged. Finding an accurate load is easy either. The newest Speer load guide says they have discovered the secret to accurate 22 Hornet loads. Speer claims that using CCI pistol primers in 22 Hornet makes it much more accurate than using rifle primers. Speer has all new load data for using pistol primers. I think the most often stated accurate powder for 22 Hornet is Accurate Arms A1680. So maybe using CCI pistol primers and A1680 will make handloading 22 Hornet worthwhile. It's still not a "fun" cartridge to handload.

Tim, I have to ask; do you actually reload Hornet rounds yourself or are you just repeating the usual gun writer BS about how difficult they are to reload for?

I ask because the Hornet was the first rifle round I ever reloaded for & that was way back in 1985 & I've NEVER, not ONCE, crushed a neck, buckled a case or had a minutes trouble with reloading that round. And I have loaded literally thousands of Hornet rounds over the years. I was a newbie to reloading at the time with a little experience with reloading 9mm. I bought a set of Lee dies for the Hornet, weighed each charge on an RCBS 10-10 scale & just followed the instructions that came with the dies. As time progressed, I upgraded to a CH powder measure that eased the process somewhat but I was still using a hand held press (similar to the hand held press that Lee makes) for all the loading sequence.

I have loaded multiple makes of cases from Kynoch to Winchester thru Remington, Sako, RWS & CIL or Imperial (Canadian manufacturer) & whilst the Sako stuff is the heat, all have proven to last about 4 loadings before I toss them as I have no interest in messing around with trimming such tiny cases when I can buy them so (relatively) cheaply.

BTW, the folks at Speer should have just read Ross Seyfried's article in 'Guns & Ammo' in about 1983/ '84 or so. His article mentioned using small pistol primers to get the best out the round; the more things change, the more they stay the same.....:rolleyes: He also mentioned that he had found WW680 to be the best powder for the Hornet with the pistol primers. I searched far & wide in the UK but 680 was a rare powder or so it seemed to a spotty faced 18 year old kid. I finally found one place that was going out of business that had 8 pounds of it & I bought the lot. I am now down to my last 3 pounds of it after all these years & hope that AA1680 (by the numbers included in it's title) might be somewhat similar?

My standard load for my favorite Hornet is 11.6 grs of WW680 over a Nosler 45gr .223 dia bullet with CCI pistol primers. This, in my BSA mini Mauser style rifle that my father bought in 1963, shoots right at an inch or less all day long.

Why not buy a Ruger & pull the barrel? Swap with a decent new barrel & you have a nice rifle again. Anschutz are undoubtedly the cats ass in this caliber & I would love to own one to go with the others in my collection.

Goodwill to all here.

Tim Dreas
July 15, 2010, 03:12
Yes I have loaded 22 Hornet. When I was using a single stage press it wasn't a problem except to find accuracy. When I went to a progressive press it became a lot of trouble and accuracy for me was never great except some super wimpy loads. I sold the rifle. Later tried a T/C in it. I used to use W680 when it was available. Winchester said it was too difficult to control lot to lot variations for canister powder sales but they still use it in some factory ammo. Or at least that was true a few years ago.

mnhornet
July 15, 2010, 09:53
My Ruger #1 shoots 1" with a BSA scope on it. Classic looks with beautiful walnut. Not all rugers are inaccurate crap. I've used small pistol and small rifle primers, since I started reloading Hornets. I neck size only, and don't use the heavy return spring on my powder dump, to keep from mashing the case mouth.