PDA

View Full Version : Mod 28??

Old Sarge
June 27, 2010, 17:59
Hi All
I am going to take a look at one of these on Monday. What dose the market look like on them? 4" bbl, with the box and little wear, only shot a few time.

Thanks
Old Sarge

FUUN063
June 27, 2010, 20:08
N frame are always on the rise. 28's are probably the lowest, however, they are still sought after especially the nice ones with their boxes. A nice 28 no dash will command a premium in the neighborhood of $500.00 plus, depending on the region. A 28-2 will probably bring $400.00 and up as well. The numbered box can sometimes add $50.00 to $100.00 depending on age and condition. A few years back, however, one could go to any gunshow and see several for $275.00 in the same condition. Trying to get a dealer to give this, however, was like pulling teeth! :rofl: Now look.:tongue: You can never give too much, just buy too soon, some say. Good luck in the negotiation. Maybe you can take something and trade into it well, having less in it.

Leland :beer:

Hoot G
June 28, 2010, 03:11
I'd agree with Leland, and also note that if the 28-2 has an S serial number, add $50 or more to his total, so $500+ with the original box.

If it's a 28-1, buy it. Take out a loan if you have to, but buy it.

A 28-3 will be in the 28-2 price neighborhood.

If it has rubber grips, or other aftermarket grips (lots of them do), take $50 off.

And, to reinforce what he said, even if you pay a little too much now, in a couple of years, it'll be worth more than you paid.

Neat guns!

FUUN063
June 28, 2010, 03:18
Hey, Hoot, I also forgot to mention a little known fact about the 28's. If you look at the ejector rod at the knurled end. If the knurling goes straight from knurl to smooth with no difference in height/finish/reduction it is a very rare model (supposedly) from what I have heard. I used to be a member for quite some time at the Smith and Wesson forums. I saw a member there had one of these. A very rare model though, I suspect. I used to be a member there until they said that I did not visit enough or whatever. I switched jobs about 4 1/2 years ago and don't seem to have the time now to sit and visit all of these sites. Oh well, still, Hoot is pretty much right on with his info for around here. Now, 27's on the other hand, are a different story. Wish I could post pics.

Leland :fal:

Hoot G
June 28, 2010, 17:16
Thanks Leland, I didn't know about that. I'm far from a 28 expert, but I've got the SCSW. ;)

I got a note from the "other" S&W forum with the same message. I've never gotten any grief from the original S&W forum.
http://smith-wessonforum.com

The only 27 I have, got the BBQ treatment in Texas. I was gonna restore it, but it kinda grew on me...

http://homepage.mac.com/hoot/.Pictures/27-2/27-2a.jpg

Douglas S Graham
July 02, 2010, 18:14
Hoot and the Hood!! Yo.

Hoot G
July 02, 2010, 22:27
Interesting point Douglas! I can't think of many things that would cross over like this.

Comfortable at a redneck BBQ and at a homeboy chicken fry. ;) Bring on the watermelon!