PDA

View Full Version : Touching up an AUG

lightguy
June 24, 2010, 19:30
Just received a like new pre-ban Aug but the person shipping put it in a standard sized hard case. As a result with shipping movement the top of the scope fixed sights rubbed against the inner rails of the case and wore the paint to the metal in spots. :(
Is there a way to touch up these marks and what is a good matching paint ?
Thanks;
David

Topbanana
June 24, 2010, 20:15
Sounds like it just got some CHARACTER! Leave it alone.

gunplumber
June 25, 2010, 11:31
Since AUGs use the crappiest thick, gooey paint I've ever seen in the firearms industry, you should be just fine with some black nailpolish.

lightguy
June 25, 2010, 19:59
Originally posted by gunplumber
Since AUGs use the crappiest thick, gooey paint I've ever seen in the firearms industry, you should be just fine with some black nailpolish.

Its weird that this fine rifle uses the equivalet of underbody car paint for their guns.

gunplumber
June 25, 2010, 20:10
It has to be thick and gummy to cover up all the porosity in the aluminum casting.

lightguy
June 26, 2010, 23:36
Thanks for the tips.

Topbanana
June 26, 2010, 23:44
Originally posted by lightguy
Thanks for the tips.

Carry it around in the woods for about 10 days before going home, the rest will match and you'll have stories. :wink:

MGMike
July 25, 2010, 11:36
Any hardware store Krylon or Rustoleum semi-gloss black paint will work. But don't spray it on. Spray the paint instead into the can cap and use a small sable brush to flow it lightly onto the damaged area, and use no more than necessary to cover bare metal. Let it dry thoroughly before buffing or blending (if you need to).

M

Lee Carpentieri
July 30, 2010, 23:59
Depends on what color black it is, I've had brand new in the box Preban Steyr Augs that were Gloss black to Flat black. I'd say send the receiver to Mark Graham and let him work his magic on touching it up or totally refinishing it.

The Factory paint is a high temp paint as when you examine a Steyr Aug you'll note that the receiver and barrel is partially covered in Plastic and heats up real quick unless your in winter conditions and shooting it. Also, Don't cock it to often as you'll wear the paint real quick along the cocking handle track and create excessive wear in that area.

Warning to the unknowing, When firing the Aug and say you just finished firing a couple hundred rounds whatever you DO, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING METAL ON IT INCLUDING TRYING TO PICK THE WEAPON UP BY THE SCOPE AS THE STEYR AUG'S TRANSFER HEAT TO EVERY PART OF THE WEAPON THAT IS METAL. IT'S ONE OF THE DOWN FAULTS OF THE WEAPON, Yet is very accurate when hot. I had two semi-Auto's and one A1 special receivered model that was a transferable factory F/A trigger pack in a modified stock and was fun to shoot but with the heat tranferring through the receiver could get really hot faster than normal for a full-auto weapon. It was especially accurate with the 24 inch heavy barrel out to 600 yards.

CRShooter32
August 01, 2010, 12:57
Originally posted by Lee Carpentieri

Warning to the unknowing, When firing the Aug and say you just finished firing a couple hundred rounds whatever you DO, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING METAL ON IT INCLUDING TRYING TO PICK THE WEAPON UP BY THE SCOPE AS THE STEYR AUG'S TRANSFER HEAT TO EVERY PART OF THE WEAPON THAT IS METAL. IT'S ONE OF THE DOWN FAULTS OF THE WEAPON, Yet is very accurate when hot. I had two semi-Auto's and one A1 special receivered model that was a transferable factory F/A trigger pack in a modified stock and was fun to shoot but with the heat tranferring through the receiver could get really hot faster than normal for a full-auto weapon. It was especially accurate with the 24 inch heavy barrel out to 600 yards.

Ah, yes, heat build up, noticed it well with my MSAR...

Happiness is a hot AUG, (or clone there of...):aug: :biggrin:

Rampager
August 05, 2010, 21:24
I'd just use a black sharpie marker and call it a day.