PDA

View Full Version : G23 vs. G27

Timber Wolf
June 15, 2010, 11:50
Dang, I don't even like Glocks and it looks like I have to carry the whole Glock forum by myself. Oh well, here goes. Despite my other thread “Glocks have to go” I still have, shoot, and actually carry several of the dang things. While at the range last night shooting my new LCP & XDm I also found time to do some draw and fire drills and general shooting with my current carry piece, a G27. I usually carry it with a Glock factory “11” round mag. This is a standard mag with a factory “+2” extension but I can only get 10 rounds in it despite it supposedly being a 9 round mag with a 2 round extension. Maybe it is +2 in 9mm but in my experience it is “+1” in .40 S&W.

Anyway, in the course of shooting I slam in one of my G23 mags with a grip/mag sleeve installed and fire off a quick 13. I have always liked the feel of this set-up as it extends the butt enough to get a full grip but it is still pretty short overall. One thing led to another and I compared the G23 mag to the 9+1 mag. The G23 mag was only about a ¼” longer at the toe and maybe 5/8”-3/4” at the heel. A lot of length in terms of concealing the butt but not a lot when you consider the value of getting 3 extra rounds on tap. So you might ask, why do I not just buy/carry a G23 if I like the mag length/capacity so much?

Because unlike a lot of folks I consider slide/barrel length an important factor in concealability AND I shoot the G27 very well thank you, AND I prefer the feel of the sleeved-and-extended G27 BETTER then I do a G23. I know that sounds strange but the sleeve is more rounded at the heel and fits my beefy mitt better then does the grip of a standard G23. Now if a Glock Gen 4 G23 with interchangeable back straps feels OK, well then the grip angle would still be wrong. So after all this I realize that on my nightly dog walking/neighborhood watch trips I might as well have a sleeved G23 mag in the G27 all nestled in the Supertuck. So equipped the Glock does not print much more (if any) and since it is various levels of darkness when I am walking and nobody is really looking anyway, who cares. Still want to feel up on a Gen 4 G23 though…….

yarro
June 15, 2010, 21:49
I have found that thickness is harder to conceal than length or grip height. I am small framed so stuff that is thick prints more readily when I carry it. Having more rounds and a better grip is always good should you have the unfortunate luck to have to use your carry weapon. I say if it works for you then just do it.

-yarro

Fn/form
June 16, 2010, 16:44
I recently completed the Glock Armorer's course. Word is the G19 Gen4 is due for release in about a month, G23 soon after. Gen3 production is not going away.

At least one person has cut down a G17 grip so they would have a "longslide" concealed carry piece.

I am curious about the Gen4 grip surface for concealed carry. I should find out here in a few hours. ;-)

1911Ron
June 16, 2010, 20:48
I find i have a hard time concealing a longer butt and maybe more width, but i carry the G29 so i have 10+1 on tap. Go with what floats your boat.

cpd109
June 16, 2010, 21:32
I find the G23 is fully concealable and it fits my hands much better than the 27. And I think it has more rounds, but don't know. Wouldn't swap over though.

SmokeEater2
June 17, 2010, 21:32
I tried a G27 but the G23 was just more "shootable" for me and It's been my carry pistol for a couple years now. A Mitch Rosen VMII makes it comfortable when I need a IWB and TT Gunleather's OWB model works fine the rest of the time.

I do however carry a Colt SAA in place of the Glock sometimes though. :smile:

FUUN063
June 22, 2010, 01:06
I like my G27. My duty gun has been a G22 since we adopted them. It has countless rounds through it. Only 3 FTF and 1 FTE as far as I can remember. Those were attributed to bad ammo from Federal. We since switched to Gold Dots and I have not yet had a failure of any kind (2 years). I sold my G23 approximately 1 year after I got it. Not much different than carrying my G22 except less ammo.

I won Top Gun and received my free G27 in a department wide shoot last year. I then immediately opened the box and qualified with it. Out of the box with no cleaning, I shot a 41 X rings with it in our indoor range. I then had to shoot again to certify it was not a fluke and shot a 43 X rings. I have since put a Lasermax on it and carry it regularly as backup and undercover. I will never sell it.

Leland :shades:

DYNOMIKE
June 22, 2010, 17:39
I also like my G-27, I bought it a long time ago and it shoots very well.. It is my everyday go with me piece and has been for several years...