PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bisley .45 Colt

Heat
June 07, 2010, 22:42
Anyone familiar with this pistol? I have been looking at the Bisley in .45 LC--held one, grips are much better than the traditional blackhawk Army--can actually get my whole hand on it--anyone shoot one?
http://i47.tinypic.com/2u9698k.jpg

W.E.G.
June 07, 2010, 23:22
Google it and listen to them disagree!

I'm going to bet it was designed by a shooter who shot that design better than whatever else was available at the time.

I've shot the Bisley frame, and I find it to be equally as foreign-feeling as the Blackhawk and SAA frames.
None of them feel like a Glock.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Koolaidblackhawk2.jpg

SmokeEater2
June 07, 2010, 23:30
Yup. Mine is the older heavy frame Bisley Vaquero in .45 colt. I've got 5 Blackhawks and this one is much more comfortable with heavy loads and just naturally "points" where I want it to aim. This is the one that gets the most use of any of my handguns now and has even edged out my much beloved .41 magnum as all around favorite.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/SmokeEater_photos/000_0269.jpg

SmokeEater2
June 07, 2010, 23:32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by W.E.G.
[B]Google it and listen to them disagree!

No shit? :uhoh:

:tongue:

bykerhd
June 07, 2010, 23:37
Much better for larger hands. But, not TOO large.
I shot a .45 Bisley and had to stop after 1/2 a box. It was beating the heck out of the knuckle on my middle finger.
I got a good deal on a .357 Ruger Bisley a while back and thought it might not work out. In fact it works the best for me of any of the several Ruger single actions I've owned. I haven't dinged that knuckle again so far.
No more pinky hanging off the bottom of the grip as happens with Blackhawks either.:wink:

And, NO, it isn't a Glock.:biggrin:

vmtz
June 08, 2010, 08:40
I got one in 44 mag. and it is the bee's knees. Very accurate, though the recoil pulse is a bit different due to the grip difference. A great pistol.

Vince

elbo
June 08, 2010, 11:59
I have one just like that, except .41mag.
My wife's favorite pistol.

BUFF
June 08, 2010, 16:58
It's one of those subjective things that you have to try out to know if you will like it. I find that the Bisley grip feels more like double action revolvers, in the manner in which they recoil, more straight back than rolling the muzzle up. The harder the loading kicks, the more I prefer it to the more traditional SA grip, especially the Super Blackhawk with the squared-back trigger guard. THAT one busts up my middle finger.

doubletap
June 08, 2010, 22:04

Let us all bow our heads and thank the Heavenly Spirit for this!!

I've shot the Ruger Blackhawk grip frame for, well, very close to 40 years now, grew up shooting an original Remington percussion revolver, which has a pretty skimpy grip too. Because of this I've always found it advantageous to take a very high grip, to get behind the gun as much as possible to reduce recoil effects and aid control. I finally bought a Bisley .45 LC in '99 and it was an eye opener. Like at least one other on this thread I'd used a 41 Mag BH as my number one revolver for field and wood cruising since the mid 70's and never thought I'd move from that platform or calibre.
Using the Bisley grip I find I can use heavy 300 or 325 gr. loads at over 1300 fps just as easily as I used to use 220 gr. loads in the 41 at 1400 fps. In fact, recoil control is easier, grip control and repeatability is superior, hitting is easier. Note that unlike Elmer, I cannot stand the Dragoon SBH grip frame, I like to keep the skin on my second knuckles, apparently Keith had small hands. For what it's worth, IMHO, for a daily carrying and using revolver, the Bisley grip is very hard to beat.

Timber Wolf
June 09, 2010, 12:58
I am familiar with it, I own one. Have never shot it.:sad: So I can not speak to how it shoots. It feels good though, better then my Blackhawks, I guess, since I have never shot it. Been a while since I have shot any of my Blackhawks either. :sad: Damn this thread makes me sad. Did I mention I have never shot it and its' been a while since I fired any of my Blackhawks? Seems like I did shoot my Speed Six a while back, does that count?

Blue Monster
June 10, 2010, 09:18
Na, the SAA grip and geometry need no adjustment, the 3 finger grip and roll up recoil are perfection!

Bisley's just are there to look funny and make your "Colt" feel like and S&W... :devil:

Like changing the grip on a Luger.....

bykerhd
June 10, 2010, 21:30
Actually, the Ruger Bisley is closer in grip shape to Elmer Keith's custom No. 5 than an original Colt Bisley. The replicas of the Colt Bisley I've handled have felt horrible. Never shot one though.
The three finger grip Blackhawk grip is actually two for me.
If I could get three fingers comfortably on the grip of a standard Blackhawk, I might like them better.:wink:
That little finger waving around in the breeze is apt to get bashed or smashed when shooting heavy calibers, or loads, if one is not careful.:biggrin:

jdmcomp
June 11, 2010, 07:50
I do not own a Ruger but I do have a clone Bisley. I love the grip for target shooting, lots better then the saw handles on the 1873. Not be best for a quick followup but this is a SA revolver. If I wanted a fast second shot the 1911 is far better.

STGThndr
June 11, 2010, 12:59
I like the Blackhawks. Ive always liked the Blackhawks. Hell I knew Blackhawk. One can customise a Blackhawk grip with ivory panels just like i did with my Luger.
That having been said... I just picked up a New Model Blackhawk .357 to customise and I do have a few questions... Ive thought about putting an aftermarket grip frame that has the same shape as the Colt... anyone tried this? Seems like I saw some brass ones around somewhere?
Also I like the shape of the Bisley hammer and trigger. Anyone know if they would fit on my Blackhawk?
Someone is gonna say "Just get a Bisley and change out the grip and youre good to go" but thats probably not gonna happen unless there's a Bisley in .44 Special out there.
Also what is the deal with changing the Blackhawk grip frame with a Super Blackhawk frame? Is it larger or differently shaped? Whats the plus here?
Thanks...

Brush511
June 11, 2010, 14:40
STGThndr,

Check these out. Should answer most of you questions. I don't know the answer to the SBH/BH grip frame question but my old model SBH frame is longer and steel instead of aluminum. I don't know if new models are the same length and material as the old models.

Brownell's (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=6/mfg=713/Products/Handgun_Parts/POWER-CUSTOM)

Midway Grip Frames (http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=19558&categoryString=649***20766***9142***19532***)

Midway Hammers (http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=19564&categoryString=649***20766***9142***19532***)

doubletap
June 11, 2010, 23:00
STGThndr- go to the Ruger website and look at the .44 special Blackhawks, 4 5/8" and 5 1/2". They are built on the new smaller frame (same size as the original Blackhawk before they up scaled them) and should be a flat top frame as well. They use the XR3 grip frame which is very close to the old Colt Model P grip. You can fit Colt grips to them even. You should be able to fit a Bisley hammer to it, might be a gap by the top strap of the grip though. Believe you should be able to fit the Bisley trigger as well. You can get the hammer and trigger from Brownell's last I looked. These new small frame Blackhawks in 44 Special are a dream come true, no more cutting up three screw 357's to get a decent 44 spec. At some point I've got to order one of them myself.

fry
November 01, 2010, 01:50
yea have a 5.5" ss accusport 45lc bisley and i like it.

MMichaelAK
November 23, 2010, 15:51
Ive got the exact same model as SmokeEater2 has there. Picked it up used unfired for $400 a few years back and it is a comfortable shooter with heavy Ruger Only loads. Part of that is the grip shape but part is the additional weight as its not an alloy grip frame.

Old18C
November 29, 2010, 08:32
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/Toys/45LCBlackhawk002.jpg
My .45 Black Hawk with birdshead grip that fit my hand better that a Bisley.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/Toys/Archs2010045.jpg

My 5 shot Bisley custom that handles the hot loads with out any pain for me.

Timber Wolf
December 01, 2010, 11:14
I be liking that five shot Bisley Bird's Head Old18C.

A square 10
December 15, 2010, 22:38
i would like one of these birdshead grip revolvers for my SASS rig

Cava3r4
December 18, 2010, 17:23

No shit?

A little different feel then a .25 Raven Auto also! :eek: