PDA

View Full Version : Airgun surpressor's

D P Six
June 05, 2010, 14:47
A shooting acquaintance has just asked me if a surpressor can be legally used on a highpower pellet rifle. My understanding has been, to be non NFA regulated, the surpressor must be integral with the air rifle barrel, but information I googled is conflicting. Is there a class of airgun/surpressor's that is not ATF regulated?

Texas Jaguar
June 05, 2010, 17:01
Whats to supress? Cocking my air rifles makes more noise than shooting them with the exception of the Wierach Barracuda when charger with ether. Its probably illegal now anyway.

I've seen some Gamo's and other brands with a dog knot on the end of the barrel that resembeled a supressor. I figured they were there just to have something solid to grab when cocking the barrel.

D P Six
June 05, 2010, 20:05
Originally posted by Texas Jaguar
Whats to supress? Actually some of these rifles have the velocity of a 22LR and produce about as much noise.

yarro
June 05, 2010, 22:08
If the suppressor is detachable it is NFA regulated on an airgun, but you can put it on whatever you want if it is registered.

-yarro

Artful
June 06, 2010, 15:36
Originally posted by D P Six
A shooting acquaintance has just asked me if a surpressor can be legally used on a highpower pellet rifle. My understanding has been, to be non NFA regulated, the surpressor must be integral with the air rifle barrel, but information I googled is conflicting. Is there a class of airgun/surpressor's that is not ATF regulated?

I'm not sure I have all the answers as ATFE has conflicting information itself - If your airgun has a built in suppressor - such as the whisper it's not regulated - if you have a registered suppressor you can use it on your airgun without problem. If you have a suppressor that was designed for an airgun that can be put on a firearm it would be an unregistered suppressor per ATFE - they have found that even the home built PVC suppressors can be used on 22 rimfires so this is why the confusion. Best action would be if he already has the air rifle I would suggest threading and buy a registered cleanable 22LR can and thread up some of my 22's as well. :cool:

D P Six
June 06, 2010, 22:13
Thank you all for the information, I will pass it on.

seg
June 10, 2010, 14:59
Forgive my ignorace but how can air rifle be surpressed? The object of the surpressor is to cature gas being relessed and to slow it down- nothing for the speed of the projectile and the sonic crack when it breaks ?? Fps.My RWS @ 1300FPS is louder than my 38SW.
Not trolling really like to know.

HFactor
June 10, 2010, 22:13
I thought oxygen, carbon dioxide/monoxide, etc were gasses? JK, compressed air and burning propellant both escape the muzzle the same way. A suppressor merely slows the release of gas.
Yes, subsonic ammunition will be quieter, but not so much to warrant it's use unless in covert operations. Maybe somebody offers a heavier .177 pellet or perhaps you could have Veral make a .177 10gr spitzer mold....

Oakspring
August 28, 2010, 08:54
I have a Gamo .177 pellet rifle that shoots at 1200 fps and wish there was some way to make it quieter. I use it mainly for target shooting and trying to keep prairie dogs from tearing up my back yard. Believe me, it's loud enough to advertise to all the prairie dogs within several acres that someone is taking pot shots at them and they all head for cover by the second shot.

If a suppressor was designed ONLY for a .177 caliber would ATF still consider that a NFA device? Or if it was permanently attached to the pellet rifle barrel would that suffice?

Artful
August 29, 2010, 01:33
Originally posted by seg
Forgive my ignorace but how can air rifle be surpressed? The object of the surpressor is to cature gas being relessed and to slow it down- nothing for the speed of the projectile and the sonic crack when it breaks ?? Fps.My RWS @ 1300FPS is louder than my 38SW.
Not trolling really like to know.

Suppression of muzzle blast - IE propellent gases after the projectile leaves the barrel will help in overall sound signiture - but to be as quiet as possible you must be subsonic and the smaller the projectile size the less disturbance in the air so all othet things being equal the quieter the projectitle launcher.
:wink:

as an example 45 acp, heavy weight 9mm, subsonic 22LR are under the speed of sound but the noise from the largest projectile will be more than the smallest given equally good suppressors.

my 223 (supersonic) sounds about like my 22LR with High velocity but that's just the sonic wave of the bullet boring a 22 caliber hole thru the air. I have not played with 17's but it should be able to be a little quieter than 223 due to smaller projectile size.

I don't know much about air rifles but if you went to a heavier projectile it should slow down the muzzle velocity - that's what I do with my 9x19's - 147 or 158 grain bullets to make it 1000 fps or slower.

Artful
August 29, 2010, 01:35
Originally posted by Oakspring
I have a Gamo .177 pellet rifle that shoots at 1200 fps and wish there was some way to make it quieter. I use it mainly for target shooting and trying to keep prairie dogs from tearing up my back yard. Believe me, it's loud enough to advertise to all the prairie dogs within several acres that someone is taking pot shots at them and they all head for cover by the second shot.

If a suppressor was designed ONLY for a .177 caliber would ATF still consider that a NFA device? Or if it was permanently attached to the pellet rifle barrel would that suffice?

from what I read if it was permanently attached it shouldn't require ATF registration but if removeable it would require a Form 1 to make or a form 4 to be transfered to you. Caliber is immaterial - I have seen .14 caliber rifles.