View Full Version : New toy

June 04, 2010, 17:13
I decided to take the plunge, and get myself a bullpoop rifle. MSAR STG556 20" barrel, topped with a Vortex Strikefire, for now. I was trying to get a 16" barrel, but the dealer's distributor only had 20" barrel models, but, as soon as MSAR get some extra barrels out, I can get a 16.

June 04, 2010, 17:29
Very cool! What is the optic?

Where can I get a rug like that:D

June 04, 2010, 17:44
The optic is a Vortex Strikefire, an Aimpoint clone, not expensive, but well made, night vision compatable. Ordered it from Primary Arms.

The rug is actually a dark burgundy color, the color washed out when I took the pic, I was using a lower resolution so I could post it. Brother in law used to do carpet work part time for a local furniture store, used to get nice remnants fairly cheap. That's actually more of a guest room, has the best lighting for taking pics of firearms and the like.

Andy the Aussie
June 04, 2010, 17:47
Bullpup eh ? ...... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

June 04, 2010, 19:17
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Bullpup eh ? ...... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Your whole army carries bullpups. What are you implying?

June 04, 2010, 19:33
Have you shot it for groups - how does it compare to an Ar in the same price range? Is that a fair comparison?

June 04, 2010, 19:39
MSAR's are nice. I have a 16". Accuracy is very close to a 16" AR. If they had a better trigger, they'd be even sweeter. The trigger is actually not bad for a poofter rifle.

Andy the Aussie
June 04, 2010, 19:42
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.

Your whole army carries bullpups. ....on that you are so sadly mistaken... ;)

June 05, 2010, 08:56
Haven't been able to get to the range yet, however, will have a window to do so within the next few weeks. the tirgger isn't that bad, a little heavy, but clean, not gritty or anything, and the 20" barrel balances out the weight, which is mostly in the buttstock area. The cheek weld on this thing is more comfortable than an AR, althogh mag changes are gonna take some getting used to. And from what I've read over on, yah, I know, ARF.com, these things even eat Wolf ammo, so no issues with buying cheap stuff for blasting.

Andy, which other rifles is the Aussie military issuing these days?

Andy the Aussie
June 05, 2010, 19:32
M4s to SASR, 2Cdo and 152 Sig Sqdn (SF Signalers) ... ;)

The F88 (Aussie AUG) has come a long way since first being issued here, the newer rifles (well Lithgow FTRs) are now plastered with all manner of rails and painted/plastic moulded in tan.

Andy:p :p

Brian in MN
June 05, 2010, 22:08
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
....on that you are so sadly mistaken... ;)

Shouldn't that be "happily" mistaken? ...as in PRAISE THE LORD we don't have to carry one of those XXXXX rifles.:p :p :p

Don't tell Andy but I may have to buy one of those one day, CRS. Just because they are so odd.

Do you really think you need a shorter bbl? I'd buy the gun you have if I were going to take the plunge. They seem plenty compact to me but I am pretty old school, an AK-74 with plywood furniture is about as modern as I get.

June 06, 2010, 15:26
I have been giving it some though, the 20" barrel is the same legnth as an M-4 type carbine with the stock extended to the first position, have the advantage of a full sized rifle in a carbine package, and is 5" shorter than my AR with a fixed stock. I'm probably going to leave it as is, and put the E4 type top rail, the extra 5 inches of rail, along with a more compact optic, the Strikefire is eventually going back on the AR, will allow for BUIS.

June 09, 2010, 20:08
If you still want a 16" barrel I will swap mine for your 20"

June 10, 2010, 11:15
Originally posted by Squint
If you still want a 16" barrel I will swap mine for your 20"

PM sent

June 10, 2010, 12:11
I prefer the 16" barrel myself. Overall length is 28 1/2 inches if I remember right.

June 10, 2010, 17:13

$45 Factory Steyr AUG Bayonet Lugs

$185 Steyr AUG Green Bayonet

also fits the M16 bayonet.

June 18, 2010, 07:30
These are great little rifles, I also have a 20" od green stg 556 I picked up from Bud's
Back in March I am getting 2-3" groups at 100 yds.
BTW stay away from Steel Ammo with this gun.