PDA

View Full Version : Mod control of vulgarity

WarriorPoet
May 26, 2010, 07:27
I don't know if this is the correct forum for posting this.....so move this, if necessary.

It seems that the level of vulgarity has increased over the past few months. A thread in General Firearms can turn into a graphic discussion of what body parts/fluids can be inserted into someone else's body parts, etc.

It'd be nice if, the moment this starts, the mods would post a warning to offenders to keep the level of discourse at PG-13 (even "R" would be nice!) and not let slip into NC-17.

Either that or yank the thread and put it in Dumping Brass.

While the banter can get rough in Politics and other areas where personal opinions come into play, I don't see how discussions of reproductive body parts, anal copulation, etc. in firearm-related threads/discussions contributes to the quality of this site.

I'm no prude - but there's a time and place for everything.

Thanks.

-WP

Survey Punk
May 26, 2010, 07:52
The general coarsening of society has reared its ugly head in these forums exponentially.
Years ago a lot of what passes for normal discourse on The Files would not even be seen in the basement.
Sad, on so many levels.

JB

gunplumber
May 26, 2010, 09:34
Some of the worst filth comes from a so-called "moderator".

Beckman
May 26, 2010, 16:26
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
[...]
It seems that the level of vulgarity has increased over the past few months. A thread in General Firearms can turn into a graphic discussion of what body parts/fluids can be inserted into someone else's body parts, etc.

[...]I'm not sure whether you are discussing general vulgarity or vulgarity while used in a personal attack on another forum member, but I've noticed that it's common for some members to resort to personal attacks when they are unable, or unwilling, to intelligently discuss a subject. This is true either with or without vulgarity. I believe that this is because some forum members would much rather trade insults than substantiate their argument with facts and analysis.

Whatever the motivation for the vulgarity, I think that it is wrong for the mods to move an entire thread to DB because one or more forum members has decided to trade insults instead of having an adult discussion. If the thread's OP is not involved in the childishness, then moving the thread to DB is rude to the OP and it is also rude to any members who tried to keep the discussion on an adult level.

I've always felt that collective punishment is the resort of a cowardly enforcer. If a member commits an offense which violates a rule, then that post should be deleted and that member should be dealt with. Why punish other members who only happened to post in that same thread?

WarriorPoet
May 26, 2010, 19:25
Beckman,

That's why my very first suggestion was that a mod chime in and warn the offending poster(s).

Discuss an opinion with passion, sure. But the sex-smackdown talk........wtf???

Nobody here wants arfcom-style uber-censorship........but then I don't see why flagrant, repeat offenders couldn't be threatened with banning if they can't keep the gutter talk in the DB area, where it belongs.

btw - I'm not talking about common expressions like, "Oh, sh*t!", "No, sh*t!, "No F-N way!!!" etc. etc. etc. You know, stuff we all hear on the street, with friends, etc. etc.

I'm talking about stuff like (and to paraphrase a recent post) "I'm gonna rub my p***s on my rifle.....", and general insults regarding what sexual practices should be performed on/with someone/something. People should save that for DB, online hookup sites, or their bedrooms :wink:

I see no reason why things can't be kept a little cleaner in general/firearms discussion areas.

That's all.

Regards,

-WP

jugrunner
May 26, 2010, 19:50
not only Jen but several other gals are members here ... I'm sure they have a high opinion of some of us !!

I'm guilty of posting without thinking 'bout the women and children ... :eek:

Blaster
May 26, 2010, 20:58
I may be an old fart but I am NOT a prude. It's getting to the point that when I'm perusing the FILES and I notice my wife getting ready to walk by the computer monitor, I quickly minus the site down. This is a great web site but sure could use a little cleaning up.. IMHO:)