Cava3r4
May 22, 2010, 10:13
What is one worth?
what to look out for etc?
TIA
Bob

elbo
May 22, 2010, 11:00
I've owned a .44 for more than 15 years and I believe it's the most accurate pistol I own. It is fired 'more than a few times' a year. and I've had no issues with it.
Can't help with price tho.

nwobhm
May 22, 2010, 12:47
Look for a canted bbl.

jugrunner
May 22, 2010, 18:28
I really didn't like mine ... cylinder was out of spec. ... shot like chit !!

YMMV ...

garandguy10
May 22, 2010, 21:26
I have seen them from the factory with a serious cant to the barrel.

EBRfan
May 22, 2010, 22:12
Can't say for sure what they're worth, but I know what I paid...$940 for an AN prefix model in excellent condition about 8 months ago.

jvm
May 22, 2010, 22:18
What may I ask is a canted barrel? One that doesn't line up ?? Colt would send somethintg like that out??

Thanks

garandguy10
May 23, 2010, 03:14
Originally posted by jvm
What may I ask is a canted barrel? One that doesn't line up ?? Colt would send somethintg like that out??

Thanks

A canted barrel is one that is not timed correctly, like you look at the top flat of the frame and the top flat[rib] on the barrel and they do not line up at all, and the front sight is clocked. Yes, Colt QC sometimes sucked way bad. I saw that myself on a friends brand new, out of the box, Anaconda sometime in the mid to late 1990's. He sent it back to Colt and they repaired it under warranty. Colts can be hit or miss. Pythons usually are real good, but all other products need careful inspection.

B Wood
May 23, 2010, 08:41
I own one....had another but sold it years ago..(big mistake).

No problems with mine at all. Have the 6" model. Accurate, smooth and light trigger. First one I had was a Colt Custom shop job with special trigger, hammer, Magna_porting, etc. Loved that gun. After I sold that one, took a while to find another. Holding onto this one for my out-west gun when we finally move to Utah.

yarro
May 25, 2010, 23:12
Check the timing. Make sure that it is tight. Look at each chamber real good. They were produced when both Colt and S&W were letting everything out the door. The only revolvers that had good consistent QC were the Pythons and custom shop guns. The Pythons were made by dedicated employees thus the high quality. The other's were made in batches on non dedicated assembly lines. I am pretty sure that if it had not been for military contracts at this time Colt would have folded. It wasn't just the handgun line either. My friend bought an AR during this period that did not have the barrel nut screwed on tight from the factory. Required removing the gas tube and torquing the barrel nut properly and then reinstalling the gas tube.

-yarro

ass400
May 28, 2010, 10:22
I have a 6" .45 Colt. The out-of-the-box trigger is great, but it is right at the edge of reliable primer ignition. It would not ignite Winchester primers in my reloads before Winchester changed their formula to something more sensitive. I have no problems with it now. I would expect that it would fetch $900-$1000 these days.