PDA

View Full Version : Form 1 For Colt 1911 Shoulder Stock

gman
May 10, 2010, 04:45
Thinkin' a shoulder stock for my pistola would look kewl and add some fun when shooting with the kids. Is the Form 1 something I can do?

Thanks.

bykerhd
May 10, 2010, 09:36
How about one of these instead ?
Mech Tech 1911 Conversion (http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html)
No Fed forms, no hassles.
And you can go back and forth almost as fast as you could add a stock, or take it off a pistol. No alterations needed to the pistol either.

chromestarhustler
May 10, 2010, 11:27
if a browning hipower will do, there are some with shoulder stocks that dont require any additional paper work they are exempt

gman
May 10, 2010, 19:47
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. Last night, while at work, I took the time to dig through the new ATF website to find the correct forms. So I can do it, but just the the "approved" form.

I really do have my heart set on the 1911.

Thanks again!

jaykden
May 11, 2010, 15:04
Originally posted by chromestarhustler
if a browning hipower will do, there are some with shoulder stocks that dont require any additional paper work they are exempt

could you explain further?

jrkoller
May 11, 2010, 15:19
You mean something like this??

jrkoller
May 11, 2010, 15:20

jrkoller
May 11, 2010, 15:21

gman
May 12, 2010, 07:59
JR, were you expecting zombies?

Yup, that is exactly what I was thinking. I see you've been to Numrich Arms too. I found one that looks extremely similar, go to Gunbroker, do a search under completed listings for "colt stock" or "colt shoulder" and you'll see it. Turns out I found another on AuctionArms that described the canoe-paddle look as being a Lebanese military product. Still, it looks good and functional. I think a couple of cavities could be made in the stock to hold essentials, like extra mags.

Very nice looking rig that, and now I know I need one.

jrkoller
May 12, 2010, 08:22
gman,
yes I got it from Numrich, only problem I had was the spring housing on the back of the grip that came with it was cheap plastic crap and didn't work well, so I ordered a over sized one and had a friend gun smith / machinest cut the groves in it for the stock, it works a lot better.

Shoots great to.

Thanks
Joe

GOVT1911
May 12, 2010, 09:59
I picked up the same stock/barrel a few years ago. The plastic mainspring housing was crap. I did the same thing with buying a steel one and having grooves machined to accept the stock.

mine shoots pretty decent too.

jrk, is that one of the promag drums? How does it function?

I would like to pick up one of the mectec uppers, just havn't pulled the trigger yet....

jrkoller
May 12, 2010, 10:10
Govt1911
The promag has its problems, I haven't really messed with it yet, I had the 40 rounder and had to send it back and they sent me 2 20's, I can get a few rounds off then a jam, I was thinking of spraying some dry lube on the inside to see if that helps but haven't done that yet.
Right now I use it for pictures because I think it looks kool!! I'll work on it this summer.
Joe

JB Books
May 12, 2010, 19:19
Originally posted by jaykden

could you explain further?

WWII Inglis High-Power with original stock. Classified as collectors items and exempt from NFA, no paper work required

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/allproblemsolved/guns/Hipower/hipower1024.jpg

Gazz
May 20, 2010, 19:58
The shoulder stock thing also applies to Mauser C96 and 1930's (Broomhandles ) as well as Artillery Lugers. Probably some others as well like the Borchardt but that is a fairly esoteric piece. To be legal, the stocks must be original. There are many Chinese made repros (holster stocks) out there for both the C96 and High Power so watch yourself. I've never hared of anybody getting nailed for it though but I know longer get the newspaper.

ParaSteve
May 20, 2010, 20:31
Originally posted by jrkoller

Thats friggn GAY ......... and your a homo for having it .

JMB is damning you to HiPoint hell when you die for that .

Outlaw Patriot
May 20, 2010, 21:11
I saw a c/r exempt broomhandle mauser with shoulder stock in great shape, advertised at somewhere around 4k if I remember right.

What do these actually sell for?

What would that hi power with stock sell for?

jdmcomp
May 21, 2010, 08:13
It might be of interest to know that the Army experimented with a boiled leather holster stock early on before giving up on the idea. Boiled leather is extremely stiff once set and the idea had merit. I do not have any idea why the idea was dropped.

bykerhd
May 21, 2010, 08:31
from jdmcompIt might be of interest to know that the Army experimented with a boiled leather holster stock early on before giving up on the idea. Boiled leather is extremely stiff once set and the idea had merit. I do not have any idea why the idea was dropped.

Maybe the Army realized that under field conditions a boiled leather holster/stock would sometimes be soaked due to exposure to rain/snow, etc.:uhoh:
A fair weather holster/stock would be of even less practical value than a wooden version.

gunplumber
May 21, 2010, 10:30
There was some discussion a few years back if reproduction shoulder stocks could be used on C&R guns for the C&R exemption to NFA SBR. Not sure what the resolution was.

In any case, I believe it would be the gun, not the stock, that would have to be registered as an SBR or AOW

jdmcomp
May 21, 2010, 14:31
Seems I remember that in looking at the advisory letters issued by the ATF that you find letters stating that reproductions are and are not legal, so the question remains unanswered. Further, the advisory letters are just that and can be changed from time to time.

yarro
June 06, 2010, 17:44
The last ATFE ruling was repro stocks require a form1 for SBR. Only the correct original stock on a luger is exempt. Putting a artillery luger stock on a comercial or navy gun requires a from 1 for SBR. The last I heard, the attaching iron was the stock, i.e. an original can have the wood replaced, but not the metal attaching piece replaced. For lugers there are repros out there that are exact copies on the original right down to the markings so it is a buyer beware world. Have shot stocked lugers, hi-powers, and C96 mausers and they are diffinitely not has handy as an SBR carbine, but if you are jonesing for one then pay the tax. They are still fun to play with.

-yarro