PDA

View Full Version : S&W Problems

teamster
May 09, 2010, 19:05
I have a model 686 with a 6" barrel in stainless the problem is the cylinder will not open , the release feels jammed up any body else have this problem?

Retired Bum
May 09, 2010, 19:29
There could any number of reasons for this problem but the most common one is that the ejector rod has become loose and has backed out of its threads by a small amount.

See if the ejector rod rotates by even the smallest degree. I know that this can be difficult to do with the ejector rod being enclosed in the barrel weight shroud. If this isn't the problem, then I suggest taking your 686 to a gunsmith who knows S&W revolvers. The 'smith can remove the sideplate and remove the lockwork which should permit the cylinder to be opened. Then perhaps the problem can be diagnosed and fixed.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

D P Six
May 09, 2010, 22:05
If the ejector rod is loose, try inserting a business card between the bottom of the cylinder and the frame, pulling the card over the cylinder stop. This will 'unlock' the cylinder allowing you to rotate it and tighten the ejector rod enough to open the cylinder. If the gun is loaded, use appropriate caution.

FUUN063
May 10, 2010, 00:28
We think we found your problem and a very viable solution. When apart, then apply a small amount of blue loctite to a very clean ejector rod. A VERY small amount.

Leland :shades:

lutefisk
May 15, 2010, 13:29
Were you shooting reloads or factory? Can you still rotate the cylinder? The rod is the most likely problem, but there could be other culprits.

gobbler
May 15, 2010, 20:55
Bought a new model S&W while back & it has burs all on the ejector rod, cylinder and cylinder release button. Could not wait to trade the POS, never again will I buy a Smith made in the last 20 - 25 years. They are about like a Rossi!
gobbler

lutefisk
May 16, 2010, 00:31
Wow, I've got a 686 that is probably the highest quality of the many SW revolvers I've had and carried. Sorry you got a bad one gobbler. The SW metal work has never been as refined as the early Colts.

Retired Bum
May 16, 2010, 15:45
I bought a new six inch Model 686 as a birthday gift to myself back in November 1983.

Shortly after purchasing it I received a notice from S&W about sending it back to the factory for a fix because of a possible lockup problem with the Winchester 145 gr SilverTip factory load. I declined and have never had a problem with my 686. Over the years the action has gotten smoother with use and when someone else shoots it they always ask who did the trigger job. Butter smooth DA and a crisp no creep SA. What more can you ask for in a revolver that cost me just about $350 back then.

I have a six inch Colt Python and it is only natural to compare the two. The Python was made in 1975 and is georgous. But I consider the 686 to be the stronger and better of the two revolvers. Just my opinion of course.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

dogngun
May 17, 2010, 16:11
The knurled end piece backing off is very common with S&W revolvers - the Lock-Tite fix is thw answer, although some used to use clear nail polish.

mark