PDA

View Full Version : planning on SBRing an FNC?

DesertFALrat
April 23, 2010, 18:11
Got a few FNC uppers lying around???

Want to rock-and-roll with a shorty version like Al Pacino???

If so,

What are you going to put down for the OAL???

Measure from the end of the recvr or the end of the fully extended stock???

I say the end of the rcvr because the upper is considered the firearm...

Flame on....

olgier
April 23, 2010, 18:22
that's easy. From the end of the barrel to the end of the buttstock.

or the end of the barrel to the end of the hinge on a folder.

remember....... it's the shortest OAL. overall being the shortest possible if the stock collapses or folds.

DesertFALrat
April 23, 2010, 21:48
Ahhh, yes.

That is one's first inclination.

But, when it is just one upper of many, and unattched from the lower.....

the BATFE's infinate wisdom says it is still an SBR....

now it would be shorter, wouldn't it!

I'm not so sure we can count the lower in the length at all!

The reson I bring this up is because I have a FA S&H FNC and a few full length uppers.

I want to cut one down but my smith won't do it unless I SBR one of the uppers.

The uppers transfer as a rifle, even without a lower attached!

fnogger
April 25, 2010, 09:25
Doesn't full auto override SBR status? I recall reading a recent thread on gunbroker's forums about that...

DesertFALrat
April 25, 2010, 09:44
Originally posted by fnogger
Doesn't full auto override SBR status? I recall reading a recent thread on gunbroker's forums about that...

It does as long as the short barrel is attached to the lower. If I just had one upper it wouldn't be an issue.

My smith advised that having multiple uppers for an FNC is a very grey area of the law.

When dissasembled, in effect I have multiple FNC's.

Thanks to the recent ATF "clarification", any one of the uppers would transfer on a 4473 individually, without a lower attached.

We are excluding uppers that don't have serial numbers, although those exist as well. (The first imported HOWCO's don't have serials on the uppers)

That's why I'm being advised to get a separate stamp for an SBR.

Which is fine, it is a $200 CYA.

I just want to figure out what the OAL should be. I'm leaning towards the end of the receiver as a measurement.

Any of you SOT's have a comment?

fnogger
April 25, 2010, 15:49
Well as long as my dusty memory is dredging up facts, IIRC (again) that you can have anything longer than the listed length but nothing shorter. Again, I think I read about someone that listed a 1" barrel length on something so he could use whatever barrel length he wanted...

olgier
April 26, 2010, 09:32
Sounds like you wold def. have to sbr an upper to cut it then. I had forgotten that the upper was the issue unlike the AR.

I'd probably CMA by getting a clarification letter from the ATF. That way there would be much less doubt. I say much less because they can always change thier mind like they have on a few things in the past.

DesertFALrat
April 26, 2010, 11:02
Originally posted by olgier
Sounds like you wold def. have to sbr an upper to cut it then. I had forgotten that the upper was the issue unlike the AR.

I'd probably CMA by getting a clarification letter from the ATF. That way there would be much less doubt. I say much less because they can always change thier mind like they have on a few things in the past.

That is a good suggestion. I hadn't thought about that.