PDA

View Full Version : Knocking around the idea of an AAC Cyclone...

gates
March 30, 2010, 15:55
Read some interesting thoughts on using the can with multiple calibers - .223 specifically, anyone have any experience using a .308 can on an AR? I kinda dig the idea of buying a can for a Remmy VS and being able to duel use it.

olgier
March 30, 2010, 16:57
I am not can expert. I do have one, with another waiting on paperwork. (with a third to follow shortly)

I was told that it as NOT wise to run a .308 can on a .223, or a .223 can on a .22.

I was told that while you MIGHT not have an issue, your bullet could destabilize and cause baffle strikes because the preasure would get in front of your bullet to a greater extent causing more turbulence which could cause issues.

Hence I went with the one can for the .22, one can for the .223 and one can for the 9mm route.

I ended up staying with Gemtech. An outback II, G5 and a viper in a few months.

gates
March 30, 2010, 17:04
Thanks - seems like there's quite a few folks over on Silencer talk that DO do this - interesting.

olgier
March 30, 2010, 17:27
Well, apparently I'm not welcome there, even though I've never been there before. Tried to register so I could read what you are talking about, and was immediately banned.

Oh well.

gates
March 30, 2010, 22:10
here's a yt off of the site showing it being done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF1X1SdhgBU

Artful
March 31, 2010, 21:34
I use my AAC Cyclone on several hosts - FAL, AR15 in 223, AR-15 300 whisper, Remington 700V in 243. It works well with all of them. For reference I also have a dedicated 223 TAC-16 that I use to run AR-15 was well and the cyclone may be 3-5 db noisier but the noise is actually deeper sounding and more pleasent to me - the disadvantage is the 308 can is heavier - so it works best on shorter barrels with the AR's, the TAC-16 is permentantly on the 20" barrel now.

I have run 22LR thru the TAC-16 which only works as I can take the TAC-16 apart to clean it out. 22LR should not be used in any can that can't be cleaned as it leaves a lot of lead and powder fouling behind. So with the TAC-16 I shoot my 223 loads changed to 22LR host then took it home to clean. So no chance of crud falling into a 223 round coming thru.

I also have used 9mm can with 22LR host and it works very well.
example http://vimeo.com/1925623

Oh, and signing up for some of the sites like silencertest - restrictions on joining are related to your email - hosted at free sites like yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc can cause rejections.

olgier
March 31, 2010, 22:24
thanks for the info. seems like i might have been misinformed.

and my email is not a generic one and is not webhosted, so i'm still not sure why it would be an issue.