PDA

View Full Version : TAURUS 85 SNUBBIE +P OK?

SPEEDGUNNER
February 23, 2010, 10:39
I just picked up a little stainless Taurus 85 from my local crack dealer, uh I mean FFL, it was sitting there in the case all forlorn and cheap and I just had to take it home with me. These little Taurus revolvers aren't bad guns, and they have a lifetime warranty to the gun so how can you go wrong? Figure it will make a nice truck/pocket/hunting/hiking back up piece, never know when you might need one.

Here is the question...Is it OK to fire +P .38spcl in these? Of course Taurus sez no when you call Customer Service, nothing before 1996 is supposedly +P rated. I think that is a liability CYA answer. This is a sturdy looking little stainless snubbie, seems as substantial as some of my Smith's which it is a copy of. I am just wondering if I use standard .38 loads for the range, will this handle +P if I keep it loaded for defensive purposes?? I have searched all over the 'Net without being able to find a definitive answer.

Any suggestions or personal experience?

Thanks.

catmguy445
February 23, 2010, 12:49
It would probably be ok to run a FEW +P's through it, but you definitely don't want to do it all the time. It won't blow up; the factory proof loads are stouter than +P loads, but the frame isn't designed to take the pressure of a +P load. So if you shoot +P on a regular basis, you'll probably wind up with a frame that gets stretched or sprung, which will ruin the gun. Personally, I wouldn't do it. There is plenty of good quality non- +P self defense .38 spl ammo out there, so you really shouldn't need to resort to +P. Put in some range time with it and get real familiar with shooting it. Bullet placement is a lot more critical factor in a gunfight than cartridge power.

However, if you just HAVE to shoot +P in it, before long you'll have a really cool paperweight that will be the envy of all your buddies.

TideWater 41009
March 02, 2010, 11:51
Originally posted by SPEEDGUNNER
... Taurus sez ... nothing before 1996 is supposedly +P rated. I think that is a liability CYA answer. This is a sturdy looking little stainless snubbie, seems as substantial as some of my Smith's which it is a copy of. I am just wondering if I use standard .38 loads for the range, will this handle +P if I keep it loaded for defensive purposes?? I have searched all over the 'Net without being able to find a definitive answer.

Any suggestions or personal experience?

Thanks.

Does that mean then that Taurus revolvers made after 1996 ARE +P rated?

Standard SAAMI pressure limit for standard .38 Special is only 17,000 psi. The pressure limit for +P is 18,500; 1,500 psi higher. That is less than 9% higher, a very small increase. If a revolver could not handle 18,500, I would not feel real comfortable with it at 17,000.

JohnnyMac
March 02, 2010, 15:55
IMHO, shooting +P in a snubby is a waste. It will give you a little more MV, with a lot more muzzle flash and recoil. Unfortunately, most of the readily-available defensive loads optimized for short-barreled .38 SP revolvers are +P, usually with a fast-expanding 110 or 125 grain slug. If you handload, or know someone who does, you can create a load that suits you and the gun.

JMc

Ssarge
March 03, 2010, 02:25
I had an 85 ultra light weight and shot +p through it with no problems. (it was one of the newer 85s in stainless with an under lug and alloy frame)
I preferred the Federal Nyclad loading though for self defense. Less recoil and a reliably expanding round. There are several loads out there now that are designed to expand reliably from a small frame revolver and that's the round I would use. You also experience less wear on the gun and faster follow up shots due to lower recoil and muzzle flip.

TideWater 41009
March 04, 2010, 09:58
Originally posted by JohnnyMac
IMHO, shooting +P in a snubby is a waste. It will give you a little more MV, with a lot more muzzle flash and recoil. Unfortunately, most of the readily-available defensive loads optimized for short-barreled .38 SP revolvers are +P, usually with a fast-expanding 110 or 125 grain slug. If you handload, or know someone who does, you can create a load that suits you and the gun.

JMc

Handloading your own self-defense ammo is a very real legal liability. You would be well advised not to use it ("search" function is your friend here).

I don't agreee that "shooting +P in a snubby is a waste". The fact that a lot of +P .38 ammo is specifically tailored for a short barreled .38 is an advantage that would make it one of the wisest choices to use.