PDA

View Full Version : New MSAR! with... Wobble?

BlackCat
February 13, 2010, 12:55
Hey folks, I've been gone fo-eva, mostly at the behest of Uncle Sam and his rotary wing school. Even as I post this on the internet I'm cringing at the time I'm not using studying, but I digress.
I ordered a green 16 inch factory optic STG from Bud's Gun Shop at the bargain basement price of $1080 shipped. I ran about 500 rounds of mixed 556 through it and was pretty pleased at the rifle. Great handling, solid robusitco ejection, and a relatively ineffective flash hider that I find mildly sexually suggestive. Just me? No one else?
Anyway, I took the thing home and cleaned her up and noticed a HUGE improvement upon break-in, with one exception.

There's a pretty noticeable bit of side to side play between the receiver and the stock. Maybe as much as a millimeter. Now, I don't think that's terribly uncalled for when you cram a metal receiver group in a plastic triangle and hope for the best, but hey. As far as I can tell, the play is on the semicircular front lug... Maybe if I cram a piece of paper or somesuch in there it'll cinch up, but that seems a little dicey. Also, Im on duty and will be until tomorrow sometime- we'll try that then.

At any rate, I don't think this should be too uncommon or alarming and would like to hear what other AUG/STG owners have encountered and are doing about it / calmly accepting the inevitabilities of the design.

BlackCat
February 14, 2010, 11:45
About what I figured. For reference, a single-fold bit of Post It shims it nicely. We'll see about what happens when she gets a couple hundred rounds on it.

idsubgun
February 15, 2010, 10:11
Originally posted by BlackCat
About what I figured. For reference, a single-fold bit of Post It shims it nicely. We'll see about what happens when she gets a couple hundred rounds on it.

Post-It's are about .004" thick so you just put in a .008" shim.

I've used 1.5" x 2" Post-It's for setting tooling on CNC mills for well over a decade. They run .004" thick.

sear
February 20, 2010, 21:16
Yeah,mine got play too.About the same as yours overall,except at the front of the stock-right underneath the barrel takedown cylinder/housing you can see the mold parting line is off
[one half is lower than the other half,by abouts .020-.025"].
I shimmed just that area with aluminum foil tape layers built up to put upward pressure on the bblTD housing.
I tend to think it did something,but I went from a red dot to a scope in that period,the sp1 millet red dot gave me 3" at 50,the old russian 4x24m1 scope= 3" at 100.
I have the 16"brake model.

Squint
February 21, 2010, 00:14
Since whatever sight you use is mounted on the receiver I don't see how a slightly loose plastic stock is going to be a problem.