PDA

View Full Version : wheelie newbie

liftstationman
February 11, 2010, 18:59
recently i have left the auto scene and migrated to the wheel gun.

my first wheel gun was a blackhawk ruger .357 which has been a pleasure to shoot &
very accurate.
after owning the blackhawk awhile i found a deal on a super blackhawk. now i can shoot 9mm too!

i slowly transistoned to the S&W. i always wanted a .38spl colt like the one my dad shot but alas my money is budgeted, so i found a very nice model 14 circa early 58.

recently i stumbled onto a very nice model 27-2. yes this is the large frame but hopefully will work out as a steady target platform.

there's nothing like shooting a wheel gun! cocking that hammer and taking a breath just flows the testosterone!

anyother wheel gun newbies out there?

sewerman

bykerhd
February 11, 2010, 23:25
Not a newbie, but still very envious of your acquisitions of a an early Model 14 and the very fine 27-2. The Model 27 has always been one of Smith & Wesson's top-of-the-line revolvers. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
Colts are nice too, but you have NOTHING to feel ashamed about with your first two Smiths.:wink: :biggrin:

Hoot G
February 12, 2010, 02:44
Once you shoot that 27, your 14 is gonna feel too small. Welcome to the S&W madness!

MAINER
February 22, 2010, 13:35
Quote;
"there's nothing like shooting a wheel gun! cocking that hammer and taking a breath just flows the testosterone!"

"Cocking that hammer"? :rolleyes: That dang ole thing is a DA, Mang. Utilize it! :D

Once you get the cylinder rolling on them N frame Smiths, inertia takes over and you can toggle off cylinderfuls of ammo fast enough to put you in the poor house real quick. With practice, you will be able to pause the hammer to just before dropping using trigger control alone.
In this world of semi-autos, good DA revolver shooting is becoming a lost art. :(

I don't have a 27 or 28 right now, but Model 24's, 29's and 57's are cool too.

Congrats on the fine Model 27. :beer:

catmguy445
February 23, 2010, 13:24
That's called "staging" the hammer, and it's the technique that all competitive revolver shooter use. You pull the trigger back until the cylinder locks up, then holding pressure on the trigger, re-align the sights up on the target, then add the last little bit of trigger pressure and the hammer drops and the bullet's off to the races. I qualified Expert with a USAF issue S&W model 15 several time using that method of shooting before the Air Force went to the Beretta M9. It really works, and will seriously decrease your group size if you practice doing it. Once you get the hang of it, it pretty much gets to be second nature whenever you're shooting a DA revolver. Works pretty well on a lot of DA semi-auto's for the first shot, or if they're a DA-only auto, then for every shot, just like a revolver.