PDA

View Full Version : Question about SBR

mikeb71
February 08, 2010, 13:47
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway (showing my ignorance).

Is it legal to completely remove the buttstock from a registered SBR? I have a MP5K clone that has a folding stock that I plan on SBR'ing and I am wondering if it is possible to switch back and forth between the folder and an endcap?

olgier
February 08, 2010, 14:08
as long as you have the tax stamp, and it can be put back to original configuration, i believe it's fine. i could be wrong, but believe this is the case.

SAF59
February 08, 2010, 15:50
(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

I don't see a problem in either configuration as long as you have the tax stamp.

GOVT1911
February 09, 2010, 13:25
Wouldn't removing the buttstock make it an AOW? I don't know if that'd be covered by the stamp for the SBR. I have no real knowledge of these issues, just what I've read on the innanet.....

Artful
February 09, 2010, 20:52
Originally posted by GOVT1911
Wouldn't removing the buttstock make it an AOW? I don't know if that'd be covered by the stamp for the SBR. I have no real knowledge of these issues, just what I've read on the innanet.....

Nope, Once an SBR - always an SBR , short of asking it to be removed from the registry.

Now, go the other way take a receiver that's never had a stock and have the AOW paperwork for you pistol gripped wonder pistol - if you put a butt stock on it you just created a SBR and owe a $200 tax :eek:

People who buy 12 ga AOW - then think they can mount a stock to save 195 in tax just don't get it - now they owe 205 in tax but have only paid for 5 of it.

And taking the stock back off to but the pistol grip back on doesn't erase the tax violation.

GOVT1911
February 12, 2010, 11:18
Originally posted by Artful

Nope, Once an SBR - always an SBR , short of asking it to be removed from the registry.

Now, go the other way take a receiver that's never had a stock and have the AOW paperwork for you pistol gripped wonder pistol - if you put a butt stock on it you just created a SBR and owe a $200 tax :eek:

People who buy 12 ga AOW - then think they can mount a stock to save 195 in tax just don't get it - now they owe 205 in tax but have only paid for 5 of it.

And taking the stock back off to but the pistol grip back on doesn't erase the tax violation.

Thanks for clarifying that. I learn something every day on here!

larphred
February 13, 2010, 13:44
But building an 11" pistol on an FAL receiver, as long as there is no forward vertical grip should be legal. When Form 1 comes back a buttstock can be purchased and attached. Am I right? Sure hope so.

Artful
February 14, 2010, 11:04
Your right - lots of people do a pistol build then form 1 to SBR then attach stock - great way to do so for a AMD-65 build - the FAL with the recoil spring out the back side may be another matter unless doing a para setup.

larphred
February 15, 2010, 12:09
Art--I went with Falcon Arms alloy para lower and their bolt carrier/spring setup. Haven't gotten it up and running yet, but soon.
If the efficiency of this place would improve, I'd post a pic, since I paid my contributor dues long ago, but I guess we have to live with what we have.