PDA

View Full Version : Well dang, guess I have to buy a G23

Timber Wolf
February 02, 2010, 17:13
What strange paths we gun nuts take to owning guns. The Glock thing kind of snuck up on me and now I am awash in the things. I bought a G20 and a G21 long-ago-a-time and put them up on the shelf and tried to forget how much money I had tied up in two guns I did not like or shoot well. I was too damn stubborn to sell them at a loss and now they are just old “Gen 1” (I guess) guns that nobody would want.

Fast forward a decade or so and I get the fever for a Keltec Sub 2000, preferably in .40 S&W. I happen across one at a show NIB at a fair price and fetch her home. I fell in love with her and have had a long running deep, serious affair with her ever since. This of course led to buying A LOT of G22 mags for the Keltec. Then, naturally, I felt I ought to have a G22 since I had the mags and as a companion to the Keltec. I already had other .40 S&W handguns, some pretty nice ones as a matter of fact, but still felt like I had room for a G22.

So, last December AIM has used Gen 3 G22s for $399. I wanted to buy myself something for Xmas so I bit. It was OK but I did not shoot it as well as my other .40s so it was not going to be a favorite anytime soon. Oh, well. Then out of the blue comes up a quick-cash combo deal on the local trader board for a stainless PPK/S and a G22 RTF. Did not really want another G22 but wanted the PPK/S badly and the deal was real good so I jumped on it. Me and the G22 RTF feel in lust. Not the deep, mutually nurturing love I have with the Keltec Sub2K but a nasty one-nighter pants around ankles kind of thing. I shoot the RTF very well and it feels great to me.

The old G22 was going to get kicked to the curb, or at least to the top shelf with the G20 & G21. I can hear what the conversation would have sounded like. G20 looking down nose (slide) at G22 says: “ha, we were like you once you young whipper snapper with your fancy light rail and finger grooves, that stuff still did not save you from exile to the top shelf”. G21 says, “damn straight, make yourself comfy boy, he has moved on!”. It was not to be as just that quick another post in the trade section came up from a local fellow wanting to swap his G27 straight across for a G22. I wasted no time calling him and the trade was made.

Now I have two Glocks I really like (and two up on the shelf I don’t). I shoot the G22 RTF very well and actually shoot the little G27 better then I did the old G22. I have another pair that exhibits the same phenomenon a S&W 457 & 645. I actually shoot the little 457 better then it’s full size brother the 645. Go figure. So, to get to the point of the thread (now what was it?) I guess I need to round out the battery with a G23. But only a RTF or maybe a Gen 4 if they feel right. :eek:

Alien1
February 02, 2010, 17:24
Welcome to the Glock world, they are like :fal: 's You cant have just one.
I also have a G27 that shoots very well. Its real easy to hide for ccw. Alot of folks dont like em, but if you shoot it enough you'll find out they grow on you.

SPEEDGUNNER
February 02, 2010, 19:13
Pardon my ignorance, what is RTF?

I too have succumbed to the Glock mystique. I have a 19 that was gifted to me, and man does that little bugger shoot! And it fits everywhere I hide it, and cleanly. I have a hankering for a 23, but a couple of my favorites may find thereselves relegated to that "top shelf" if the 23 is a shooter like the 19. I'll wait for your report.

P.S. Don't tell anyone, I have a 20 also, but I feel dirty sending 10mm downrange in such an unsexy gun. So I save my banging with 10 to my S&W 1076 and leave the Glock at home. See: "top shelf" in above post.

creekerdoug
February 03, 2010, 18:29
Welcome to the Glock & KelTec party. If you like the .40 cal carbine.....you'll love the 9 mm version with the 33 round Glock magazines. I have multiple Glocks mostly in 9 mm and I've dumped my lesser guns to free up capital to buy more Glocks. My favorites are the 34, 19 & 21. You've got to have .45 acp....right?

Timber Wolf
February 08, 2010, 11:33
Originally posted by creekerdoug
Welcome to the Glock & KelTec party. If you like the .40 cal carbine.....you'll love the 9 mm version with the 33 round Glock magazines. I have multiple Glocks mostly in 9 mm and I've dumped my lesser guns to free up capital to buy more Glocks. My favorites are the 34, 19 & 21. You've got to have .45 acp....right?

Yes, you HAVE to have .45 or people will laugh and poke fun and talk about you riding the short bus and stuff. I have considered a Sub2K in 9mm but that takes the Beretta or S&W mag as that is what I have on hand. I have so far resisted the Glock in 9mm don't see that changing unless I absolutely just fall into one almost free (ain't gonna happen). I have a Marlin Camp 9 so know how fun 9mm can be out of a carbine. I have a Camp 45 too and that is even more fun!