PDA

View Full Version : Dunk kit cleaning for non removable suppressors?

Firestarter
January 24, 2010, 11:20
The AWC integral suppressor IIRC can't be disassembled. Would a dunk kit hurt it?

I'm just thinking that this might be a way to decrease the frequency of sending it in for cleaning the ports and baffles.

Thanks!

GOVT1911
January 24, 2010, 13:34
I don't see how a dunk kit would hurt the supressor, and it'd help clean all the powder residue out, but I don't think it'd do much for cleaning out the lead buildup.

CG&L
January 24, 2010, 20:08
AWC integral suppressor's are stainless steel-some models have titanium parts

The Dip would work but would be difficult to use. The 10/22 barrel could be removed but you would need a long tub of some type. Other firearms with non-easily removable barrels would be really tough

The Dip must be changed several times for a good cleaning and the barrel rinsed out really good.

Integral suppressors don't seem like a good idea if you plan on shooting them a lot

Super B
February 19, 2010, 05:07
how about an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner?

fnogger
February 19, 2010, 09:49
A tank or ultrasonic cleaner could loosen the stuff... but how do you get it (and all of the liquid) out ?

yarro
February 19, 2010, 22:07
I would plug one end and fill it with bore solvent (something that is not agressive like Hoppes) and let it set. Drain and save of repeat use. Blow it dry with compressed air. Clean it with a high voc solvent to remove Hoppes residue. Blow dry again. Then use an electronic lead remover to remove lead deposits. Drain and blow dry. Clean it with a high voc solvent. Drain and blow dry. Repeat as neccessary until it is as clean as you need it.

-yarro

Skilter
March 02, 2010, 09:32
I put mine in 'a parts washer... the kind you get at Northern Tool. I made up a solution of "Ed's Red" (basically ATF fluid and kerosene) and crank her up. I put the pump nozzle on one end of the suppressor and let it run overnight on subgun cans and just a few hours on pistol cans. I do shake them up and move them around every so often. It gets most of the real junk out of there. Then, I just clean as you would a rifle and I am done. It does not seem to hurt t' of he can at all and really helps to prolong the time between real "servicing" of the can.

I have not done it on an integrated pistol, but aside from the grips or any rubber/plastic parts, I don't see how it would hurt.

YMMV

Tyris
March 02, 2010, 12:47
Another option is to have the endcap notched or broached so it can be unscrewed.
I've done this with a stainless steel 22 HTG silencer to good effect. This allows the baffles to be pushed out.

I think the recent trend among the newer manufacturers favors user-serviceable 22 silencer designs. Older ones seem to be still cranking out sealed aluminum shitboxes.

-T

Firestarter
March 02, 2010, 18:28
Lot's of good replies thanks!

The model I am getting is a steel and titanium integral suppressor.

I found a PDF for it and it recommends bore foam with a denatured alcohol rinse. Shake. Drain and blow it out and spray some rem oil into it.

http://www.awcsystech.com/publication_files/badlander-operational-instructions.pdf