PDA

View Full Version : Nielsen device?

GOVT1911
January 23, 2010, 01:51
Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, what a "nielsen device" is and why it's required for some suppressors and not others?

I've been doing some research in preparation for buying a supressor for my AR and to possibly use on a 10/22 and 22/45. All I've done is become confused....

Thanks

JohnnyMac
January 23, 2010, 17:57
Originally posted by GOVT1911
Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, what a "nielsen device" is and why it's required for some suppressors and not others?

I've been doing some research in preparation for buying a supressor for my AR and to possibly use on a 10/22 and 22/45. All I've done is become confused....

Thanks

Wikipedia has your answer: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_booster)

JMc

kev
January 23, 2010, 18:05
Only necessary on recoil operated pistols(Browning style tilting barrel). You don't need one/don't want one. Current suppressors are becoming light enough that it isn't even needed on most pistols now.

GOVT1911
January 24, 2010, 00:36
thanks

Artful
January 26, 2010, 21:00
Originally posted by GOVT1911

Thanks

of those listed by you none need a Nielsen device - it's only when you get to centerfire pistol's that you will need one. And even then depending upon the suppressor / pistol combo you may not need it.

GOVT1911
January 29, 2010, 06:05
Thanks guys. After reading more info, I now understand how they work and why they're needed. I don't need one for my intended use.

AlaskanMBR
January 29, 2010, 22:48
I have a .45 can w/o "nielson" aka recoil booster, works on my 1911 with super quiet/low power loads, on my USP tactical it won't cycle with low power loads, but will with normal power loads...

Depends on your particular "browning style" centerfire pistol. (especially the recoil spring you're using)

I'd avoid the Nielson unless absolutely necessary, it adds more weight and length, it's a catch 22 as the heavier your can is the more you need one.