PDA

View Full Version : Can uppers on sear cut FALs be switched?

aardq
January 08, 2010, 00:57
As I understand it, the sear for the FAL is the registered "machine gun." Yet the upper is the receiver and thus is the "firearm." If this is correct, then can the uppers be legally switched on a registered lower? Can a 223 barreled upper be put on a registered lower that was originally a 308, thus making it a FA 223?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

ActionYobbo
January 08, 2010, 01:12
the upper is registered not the lower.
so your question is wrong

you can put any upper you want on your lower

but the registered upper is all the NFA laws apply to

Andy the Aussie
January 08, 2010, 02:43
As stated it is not the "safety sear" that is the registered component but the actual (sear cut ;) ) upper receiver. Sears can be had for next to nothing and are not controlled, just the receivers machined to take them (except of course for the amnesty type rifles which have the cut but no sear and are not restricted, but would be if you added the sear).

Andy :bigangel:

Prototype Services
January 08, 2010, 05:06
There are cases of sears for other platforms that are registered, but those like the AK sears require the receiver to be modified and ATF has considered the parts married once installed. So even if you havea registered FAL sear, I'm sure ATF would require it stay with the modified receiver, otherwise the seperate receiver now becomes an unregistered machinegun on it's own.

aardq
January 08, 2010, 11:36
Thank you everyone for the answers. Obviously, I had the wrong info, but you guys have educated me. Looks like an FA 223 FAl is not to be. What a shame.

Prototype, I've seen ads for registered parts set for the M-2 carbine and the ad states that the parts set is the registered "gun" and once registered, they can be place on any M-1 carbine to convert it into and M-2 carbine. Is this true?

Thanks again,
Dan

kev
January 08, 2010, 14:30
Yep, that's true in the case of the M2, and also true with an AR15 DIAS or Lightning Link or a registered HK sear. If you want .223 in a FA FAL, you could go with a registered upper receiver and have it converted to a Meeper switch barrel setup. Could also have barrels made for 7.62x39, .45ACP, 9mm and a host of others.

Forrester
January 08, 2010, 15:15
Got to lve it when andy is answering questions about US gun laws. That is commitment to your hobby!

Andy the Aussie
January 08, 2010, 16:12
Originally posted by Forrester
Got to lve it when andy is answering questions about US gun laws. That is commitment to your hobby! ......never know when a man may need to immigrate in a hurry .... ;) Need to know all the important rules... like driving on the WRONG side of the road ...:rofl:

Forrester
January 08, 2010, 16:44
Andy you would be welcome on this side of the pond any time!

Forrester
January 08, 2010, 16:45
PS. Just bring me a diesel Hilux or Land Cruiser, ........ pretty please!

Lee Carpentieri
January 09, 2010, 02:35
Well, Technically Some of you are right about if there are any registered Fal auto sears being married to a regular fal receiver that wasn't searcut, BUT if it's one of the reputted 2200 that Steyr imported that were searcut all that would have to be done is to change out the ejector block to F/A and the selector and the trigger plunger to a F/A and rehead space and then blaze away and then change it back to semi when and if you decide to sell the sear and gun seperately or sell as a NFA MG. Or you could just buy a 7000.00 to 9500.00? G-Series and install the Registered sear and change the selector and trigger plunger and rock and roll if you want. But going that route can get more expensive than just buying a f/A Fal converted prior to may of 1986 for around 11000,00 to 12K range. But then to convert it to 5.56x45mm would be such a waste in my opinion when if you want something that shoots 5.56x45mm for cheaper then go buy an FNC F/A MG for around 6500.00 to 7500.00 or if your desperate, A Ruger AC556. Thier neat little lead throwers out to 150 yards and if it is a factory original it can still be serviced by Ruger for parts and rebuilds BUT Not a Registered F/A converted from a semi-auto, That,s Rugers policy. Big question here also if their are any registered F/A fal sears, I wonder how much they would cost alone? Lee.

kev
January 09, 2010, 12:26
I don't believe there is any such thing as a registered FAL sear, although there is one idiot constantly posting a WTB on Buddy's board(Sturmgewehr). Guys are always posting WTB's there for items that do not exist.

Artful
January 09, 2010, 23:42
Originally posted by kev
I don't believe there is any such thing as a registered FAL sear, although there is one idiot constantly posting a WTB on Buddy's board(Sturmgewehr). Guys are always posting WTB's there for items that do not exist.

Only the maker and THE MAN know for sure but I saw one for a Marlin Camp 9 and one for a Calico 9mm carbine in the last 2 years that I didn't know about so keep your fingers crossed :devil:

gunnut1
January 17, 2010, 14:56
After 1984 it became illegal to make a machine gun. Period end of statement. Any machine gun built, with the exceptions of dealer samples and Type 7 SOTs, after that date is considered contraband.

There is no such thing as a registered FAL auto sear. There are no auto sears on the FAL rifle. The thing that he is calling an auto sear is the safety sear. The registered part of the FAL is the upper receiver. Sear cut upper receivers, unless they are the amnesty guns or registered before the 1084 ban are illegal and will net a $25,000 fine and 10 years in Club Fed.

FA ejector blocks are not illegal as the semi auto upper is not cut for the safety sear.

EX1
January 17, 2010, 22:50
I think you mean 1986 not 1984.EX1

dirtyrice
January 18, 2010, 04:11
Yep he must have. And gary as one poster pointed out above there are drop in auto sears for some guns that are really rare so its possible to never hear of them unless you see one for sale. But yes all the fals that are registered that most people know about are registered by the serial # on the receiver. Theres alot of one off stuff in the registry and with its many errors most of us will probably never know what it truly contains. But yes registered safety sears are in no way common and noone on here has heard of one for fals.

gunplumber
January 18, 2010, 10:11
I had a registered FAL sear. Used it in my sear cut steyrs, then removed it.

I agree that I have never heard of a transferrable registered sear or pre-may DS.

gunnut1
January 18, 2010, 16:25
Originally posted by EX1
I think you mean 1986 not 1984.EX1

Thanks EX1!

gunnut1
January 18, 2010, 16:26
Originally posted by gunplumber
I had a registered FAL sear. Used it in my sear cut steyrs, then removed it.

I agree that I have never heard of a transferrable registered sear or pre-may DS.

That's interesting Mrk. I have never heard of one.

How does that work?

gunplumber
January 18, 2010, 16:57
I take one of the common as dirt sears. Stick my manufacturing info on it. Assign it a serial number. In this case, I hard-chromed it and had it engraved, as there wasn't much room to write with my electro-pencil. Fill out the form 2. Send it in to ATF. As an NFA manufacturer, I notify ATF to add to the registry.

Sear cut FAL. Mine was a steyr 50:64 where I shortened the barrel and added the folding cocking handle like on a 50:63. Swap e-blocks. Use bolt carrier, selector, and sometimes trigger return plunger out of a parts kit (the steyrs usually had the protrusion on the BC for sear trip ground off).

Shoot the snot out of it. Get bored. take the sear out. swap e-blocks. sell gun as a semi. Since no mods to receiver, as on the FNCs and AKs and ARs, it isn't "married".

In my case, I ended up with a couple posty receivers so I destroyed the sear. Turned green when I torch-cut the hard chrome.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/nfadestroyars0006a.jpg

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/nfadestroyars0006b.jpg

gunnut1
January 18, 2010, 17:10
OK. So that made the rifle the "donor". And it was the sear that was registered as a MG and not the gun. Very sneaky there Mark.

dirtyrice
January 20, 2010, 00:57
If you have an sot thats a neat way to be able to shoot one of your g series guns in full auto. Otherwise you'd either have to modify a receiver or have one ordered with the cut. This way he can replace the full auto parts with the original semi parts and it is still a G series title 1 sear cut gun without the plunger and other parts. Otherwise he'd have to purchase a receiver with the cut already in it or modify one himself which means when he was done having his fun he'd have a post sample receiver he'd have to get rid of which may be hard.

This way he still has a very collectible title 1 fal that should be easy to resell.

2barearms
February 16, 2010, 22:32
Originally posted by gunnut1
After 1984 it became illegal to make a machine gun. Period end of statement. Any machine gun built, with the exceptions of dealer samples and Type 7 SOTs, after that date is considered contraband.

There is no such thing as a registered FAL auto sear. There are no auto sears on the FAL rifle. The thing that he is calling an auto sear is the safety sear. The registered part of the FAL is the upper receiver. Sear cut upper receivers, unless they are the amnesty guns or registered before the 1084 ban are illegal and will net a $25,000 fine and 10 years in Club Fed.

FA ejector blocks are not illegal as the semi auto upper is not cut for the safety sear.

So are you saying that a Sear Cut 50.61 Steyr Import is contraband?

fnogger
February 17, 2010, 09:14
Originally posted by 2barearms

So are you saying that a Sear Cut 50.61 Steyr Import is contraband?

Only if it isn't on the amnesty list from the BATFE

Re: a SOT making a full auto - don't you need a letter requesting a sample from a LEO agency or military?

gunplumber
February 17, 2010, 09:50
Again, not true.

The amnesty lists guns that are specifically acknowledged, it does not disallow those that are not.

There are thousands of sear cut Steyr Syracuse guns that aren't on any list.

2barearms
February 17, 2010, 20:13
Originally posted by gunplumber
Again, not true.

The amnesty lists guns that are specifically acknowledged, it does not disallow those that are not.

There are thousands of sear cut Steyr Syracuse guns that aren't on any list.

I believe there are around 2200 of them of which one is in my safe,
right next to my NIB Armscorp import Argie 18" Para