PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 3rd Gen 22 for light use, did I make a mistake?

Timber Wolf
December 20, 2009, 10:42
Been wanting a Glock 22 for a while now because its' another 40 to add to the collection and as a companion to my Keltec Sub2K I already have a bunch of mags for. Always a good excuse to buy a gun, to already have ammo and mags! I also have been wanting a pistol with a rail for a night-stand gun. I just think it is a good idea to have a light on the pistol so I have a hand free to work door knobs etc. The downside is the muzzle is covering whatever you are illuminating. I will of course also keep a flashlight or two in the nightstand for non-SHTF purposes but still want a weapon mounted light (or two, maybe another on a shotty or AR, but that is another topic).

So, I am waiting on my police trade in 22 from AIM to arrive at my FFL and I do my usual post-purchase internet search. Yes, I could do my due diligence pre-purchase but that is not how I roll. Anyway, I see a few threads on possible issues with light mounted 22s having reliability issues. Anybody know anything first hand on this? I will still probably keep and shoot the 22 but I do not need another Glock I do not like or shoot well. I am stuck with a 20 and a 21 now that are too big in the grip for me to enjoy and shoot well.

LVMPDawg
December 21, 2009, 04:21
In my experience as a Department Firearms Instructor, of the many Glocks I see with stuff hanging on them, the G22's are the most susceptible to malfunction with lights (and Lasermax laser guide rods, another story).

That's not to say that they all malfunction, as a matter of fact most work fine, just some don't. Your mileage may vary, so try it out, shoot a few hundred rounds from various positions to make sure.

Ssarge
December 21, 2009, 05:38
Glock is still working out the bugs apparently they have with the 3d Gen pistols and lights. We issued G22s and SWAT and School Resource Officers got the Gen 3s first when we traded in our old G22s and 23s for new ones a couple of years ago. I never had a problem with the ITI M3/M3x lights but some of the heavier modules were problematic. Glock even issued a stiffer mag spring to try to solve the problem, it still isn't the answer apparently since the Gen 4 is going to have Shoot the hell out of it with your light attached and see what happens, if it works after several hundred rounds, it'll probably be GTG.

W.E.G.
December 21, 2009, 06:46
Confusing title on your posts.

Sounds like you got Gen. 3 Glock, when really I think you are saying in your post that its a used Gen. 2.

Some discussion that the malfunction problems are eliminated if you use the Glock brand light.

Also, make sure you don't have weak mag springs.

Try it, and let us know.

LVMPDawg
December 21, 2009, 14:27
Geez with all the whining I hear from our new guys, I think Glock put stiffer springs in all their mags across the board. That, or the twenty somethings of today have softer thumbs?

Fn/form
December 22, 2009, 04:45
It is an issue for some G22s. See post #37 for possible solutions:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85284&page=2

Timber Wolf
December 22, 2009, 14:14
W.E.G., it is a used Generation 3. Got it last night and it looks really nice. Has not been shot or even carried much. I am pleased with the condition and will now have to wring it out to see how it shoots. I mean to say, how I shoot it.

mrorange
December 22, 2009, 18:30
Originally posted by Fn/form
It is an issue for some G22s. See post #37 for possible solutions:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85284&page=2

What he said. :) I attended an armorers class last week, and this was addressed. The 11 coil mag springs and replacing the recoil guide rod assembly every 3000 rounds seems to be the best fixes. Old mags had 10 coil springs.