PDA

View Full Version : questions on nfa laws, supressors in particular.

Firestarter
December 19, 2009, 12:28
I'm about 1 week away from purchasing (purchase phase anyway) a suppressed Ruger Mk 11.

I understand that they will complete a form 3 to send it to my class 3 dealer, then comes the form 4, pics, prints and CLEO signoff. Then wait....

My question is about what comes later. I have a safe that only I have access to.

What happens if I suddenly die. What would my wife need to do with it?

Could a corporation be formed and her be named as a carrying officer of it? I don't need to incorporate to get it, but thought that incorporation and naming a few folks that might be able to possess it in case of my demise might be smart.

Also once you have a suppressor. Is it legal to attempt any modifications to it, say to attempt to make it more quiet?

Some suppressors can be made quieter by adding a thin oil or water. Would that not be a modification in a way?

I'm assuming that other than adding oil or water it may not be allowed and am guessing that modification might be considered mfg.

Thanks for the "new to the world of NFA" questions. :bow:

K. Funk
December 19, 2009, 12:44
I believe you can pass on an NFA weapon to immediate family on a Form 5. I'm not at all sure about the rest of you questions.

krf

Firestarter
December 19, 2009, 12:50
Originally posted by K. Funk
I believe you can pass on an NFA weapon to immediate family on a Form 5. I'm not at all sure about the rest of you questions.

krf

That is good to know, thanks!

P.S. I love my Enfield! :love:

Prototype Services
December 20, 2009, 00:26
You might look into creating a Trust for you and your wife to own the NFA item.
If you join silencertalk.com and browse, you can find all this info many times over. Many cans are designed to be used wet using wire-pulling jell or something similar. The manufacturer's website may provide more answers to your exact product and it's use.

idsubgun
December 20, 2009, 10:08
Is this a MkII .22LR pistol?

If so, you can modify the back so it doesn't cycle and it will be a whole lot quieter. Most of the noise will be coming from the action when it opens if the suppressor is a good one.
Of course, you'll have to rack the pistol to shoot again but the mods I've seen allow you to shoot it either way.
I've been thinking of doing my MkII pistol that way. I should research it. I know Phil Dater at Gemtech did these for a while. Maybe it's time to drive over and visit. Haven't seen him in years anyway.

perryturner
December 20, 2009, 10:50
See 9.5.3 and subs at http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

My wife does not have the combination to my safe. The executer of my estate has a way to obtain it. He also has the name of a NFA knowledgeable friend who has agreed to help with current values, where to list for sale, etc.

If you want to do the corporation thing, do it now. If you do it later, I think you'll have to do another transfer ($200).

These are the kind of questions best asked at http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi

idsubgun
December 20, 2009, 11:08
Believe me, there are plenty of folks on this gun board that can answer this type of question.

Firestarter,

You can do a tax exempt transfer on a Form 5 to an heir. Make sure you change your will so the executor knows what to do with any NFA items. Discuss this with your wife so she knows exactly what to do.

I would get a Form 5 and fill it out for your wife in case, heaven forbid, she needs to use it. That won't be the time for her to figure out the procedures, etc. The ATF will allow reasonable time to do the transfers but they won't wait long. They don't like NFA items out there without an owner.
At least get the form and have it on hand. I thought I had some but I don't, otherwise I'd just send one to you. Ask whoever is doing the transfer for you about getting a Form 5.

Here's a link to the ATF web site specifically addressing estate transfers.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1999/09/090599-openletter-nfa-estate-transfers.html

Firestarter
December 20, 2009, 16:44
Thanks gents!

Damn good advice here! :beer: :bow:

Thanks again,

Ted

pmf
December 20, 2009, 17:12
You're gonna be dead --- whay does it matter at that point?

Spraying oil or water into a silencer is not a modification, or much of an performance enhancer either.

Firestarter
December 21, 2009, 14:21
Originally posted by idsubgun
Is this a MkII .22LR pistol?

If so, you can modify the back so it doesn't cycle and it will be a whole lot quieter. Most of the noise will be coming from the action when it opens if the suppressor is a good one.
Of course, you'll have to rack the pistol to shoot again but the mods I've seen allow you to shoot it either way.
I've been thinking of doing my MkII pistol that way. I should research it. I know Phil Dater at Gemtech did these for a while. Maybe it's time to drive over and visit. Haven't seen him in years anyway.

Yes it's a MkII. Let me know if you find the mod. And thanks! :beer:

Artful
December 22, 2009, 00:10
Originally posted by pmf
You're gonna be dead --- whay does it matter at that point?

Spraying oil or water into a silencer is not a modification, or much of an performance enhancer either.

Right :bow:

may only knock off another 10 db :rolleyes:

I'd suggest you visit www.silencertalk.com and www.silencerresearch.com
:whiskey:

gunsmoke
December 22, 2009, 02:06
Good sorce for answers to all your questions:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

Tyris
December 23, 2009, 13:11
Originally posted by Firestarter

Yes it's a MkII. Let me know if you find the mod. And thanks! :beer:

You dont need to mod the pistol. I just put BOTH thumbs on the bolt and pull the trigger for the same effect. It makes a little difference, but usually not worth the hassle of manually cycling it on mine.

-T

one hand clapping
January 02, 2010, 17:53
Sounds like a fugwit assasination device!

dirtyrice
January 02, 2010, 22:46
Suppressed .22's or .45's are one of the closet things you'll get to silent with factory ammo. Though subsonic .22 isn't too bad on the pocket. I shot a fal which had a .22 kit in it and cheaper .22 suppressor. Really quiet and it cycled.