PDA

View Full Version : Taking my daughter to shoot...

RevJammer
December 08, 2009, 23:35
Last year for Christmas I bought my daughter her first firearm... an old Stephens .22 single shot bolt action (give me a minute I'll get to the revolver part... bear with me).

She is a Teenager (14-15) and stays very busy with friends, school, sports, etc. Finally, about 6 months ago I took her shooting. Although she has been around my firearms and has handled them under supervision we had never gone shooting. She enjoyed shooting the .22 rifle (although the bolt is a little stiff) but she decided she wanted to see how the other guns shot.

So I started walking her through my handguns: .380, Colt .32, S&W Airweight .38; Sig 9mm, finally to the gun I thought she would be the most scared of and least likely to shoot - my first gun; a Ruger .357 Security Six.

I had the Ruger loaded with .38 shells (mostly cuz they are cheaper) she stepped up and began firing. She absolutely fell in love with that Ruger! It looks like in the next few years I will be losing my first firearm... she already claims it as "hers".

I might should start looking for another one!

Any other fond memories out there?

Jaxxas
December 09, 2009, 00:07
Good on you!

I'm working on introducing my somewhat timid 9 yr old granddaughter to shooting sports. I just bought an airsoft sig copy to get her going and hopefully we'll work into the .22 lr. I try to introduce her to as many non-traditional girl sports/activities as seems reasonable.

Alien1
December 09, 2009, 02:33
+1 Thats great, We are responsible for educating our younger generations in the shooting sports, They are our future and it builds family ties forever. If we dont do it the news media, or their friends, or TV will as they get older.

gunplumber
December 09, 2009, 09:48
My only question is why did you wait so long?

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/kjgchip.jpg

My kid started when she was 5. Now 14, she consistently beats me at Trap & Skeet.

dsol
December 09, 2009, 10:32
My daughter is 13 now, I started her shooting a couple of years ago. She liked my 10-22 so much (after shooting it the first time, she sat it down and exclaimed "this is so much fun, I love it!")

So she got it for her birthday later that year. I had to buy myself another to replace it, but she got the nice stainless steel one.

This year, I started her on my L Frame 586 shooting wadcutters. Now she is getting my spare Model 19 that was dad's... The girl is on her way to her own collection.

I picked up an old Sears tubular magazine bolt action 22 for my son this last spring for his 10th birthday. Refinished it, put a bipod on it and a scope, he has his own junior sniper rifle. He easily nails clays sitting out at the 90 yard berm on the range we go to. He is getting my Ruger Bearcat for Christmas that I got from dad when I was 10. Carrying on the family tradition we are.

Both of my kids help me load so they can support their ammunition habit. They would rather go to the range with me on a weekend than play video games or other "kid stuff".

Yep, I am proud daddy.

Nepag
December 09, 2009, 10:45
Not to get a bunch of you guys wrapped up in you knickers, but in helping teach my grandson how to shoot, my stepson and I took him to an Appleseed event and he loved it. Although he already knew about safety issues and shooting basics before he went, the instructors at Appleseed were able to teach him the finer points of accurate marksmanship.

He wasn't able to qualify as expert, but over the two day training session his scores improve markedly, and I expect he'll soon be able to qualify as expert.

In trying to be objective, I think its somewhat like trying to teach someone close to you how to drive. You know how to do it, but sometimes its easier to get the lesson across if an "outsider" makes the points.

Best to all.

gunplumber
December 09, 2009, 10:49
Originally posted by Nepag
You know how to do it, but sometimes its easier to get the lesson across if an "outsider" makes the points.

Absolutely. Nature of the beast - at least with kids once they reach the age where they no longer worship you, and start to think Dad may not be perfect after-all. Seems to slingshot in the other direction, where everything is questioned, and argued, but the same point made by a third party is accepted.

RevJammer
December 09, 2009, 14:42
Gunplumber...

I had to wait til she was interested and not so scared... otherwise I was afraid if I tried to "force" her into enjoying it it would have ruined it for her, forever.

Now she asks me to go, instead of me having to beg her to go shooting!

gunplumber
December 09, 2009, 14:54
Good point. My dad made me play golf with him and corrected my errors with a cuff upside the head. I now despise the game, despite being somewhat good at it.

gunner30
December 09, 2009, 19:59
Is ok, Shooting is better than golf anyday. Golf is for guys who shoot bullpups

chromestarhustler
December 09, 2009, 20:10
golf has its place. take your trusty golf club and a few balls you next trip to the desert or wide open field. hit the golf ball. now shoot the golf ball. you have no clue on the range of the ball and will help you learn to judge distance and its challenging. its great unless you can pound the golf ball farther than you can shot, or if you can hit the ball farther than you can see

gunner30
December 09, 2009, 20:21
I did have fun one time putting golf balls on tees at 100 yards and shooting them with a #4 Enfield. Balls go flying. Funnnnnnnnn!!!!

gunplumber
December 09, 2009, 20:32
Golfballs are like bowling pins, only better. They bounce farther and last longer.

As Churchill said, golf is a way to ruin a perfectly nice walk.

Alien1
December 09, 2009, 20:48
Originally posted by gunplumber
Golfballs are like bowling pins, only better. They bounce farther and last longer.

As Churchill said, golf is a way to ruin a perfectly nice walk.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dsol
December 09, 2009, 21:43
A bucket of golf balls for a few bucks at a yard sale, a couple of 10-22's and a bulk pack of 22lr. My kids and I can turn that into hours of fun.

Fn/form
December 10, 2009, 14:23
"Piss on golf."

--Lt. Col. David Grossman

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range."

-- Attributed to Jeff Cooper

feersum dreadnaught
December 11, 2009, 12:48
Originally posted by RevJammer
my first gun; a Ruger .357 Security Six.

I had the Ruger loaded with .38 shells (mostly cuz they are cheaper) she stepped up and began firing. She absolutely fell in love with that Ruger! It looks like in the next few years I will be losing my first firearm... she already claims it as "hers".

I might should start looking for another one!

Any other fond memories out there?

When I was ~12, I appropriated my dad's 6" stainless Security-Six - it was what I shot best at the time, and I loved it. He gave it to me, and bought another for himself (and 2 speed sixs, but that is another story).

I took my daughter, now 15, out a few years ago, and did the same thing - working up to .38 spl wadcutters in "my" 6" stainless Security Six. It is now hers, and I have dad's second one for me.

Considering the strength of that platform, there are several more generations that can learn on our Rugers.

catmguy445
December 12, 2009, 19:21
My stepdaughter Laura moved in with my wife and me when she was 12 or 13 (didn't get along with her stepmom, but that's another story), and one of the first things I did was to sit her down and inform her that there were guns in the house, and that since there were guns in the house, she should know how they worked and how to handle them safely. Since I'm an NRA Instructor, I put her through the NRA Safety course and then had her load and unload a couple of revolvers and semiauto handguns with dummy rounds, then showed her how bolt, lever, pump, and semiauto rifles work, and then did the same with shotguns.

A few months later I was teaching a Basic Pistol class, so I brought her along to the class and taught her how to shoot a revolver along with the rest of the class, and she did fairly well at it. She didn't seem to be too terribly interested in guns at that point, but wasn't negative about them, either.

A couple of years later, she was visiting her dad and stepmother for a couple of weeks and had gone to a friend's house to do something or other with the friend. While she was there, the friend's mom came in and said she was worried because her boyfriend had left her a gun for self defense and it was loaded, and she didn't know how to unload it. So Laura asked if she could take a look at it and told her that I'd taught her about guns. So the woman brought the gun out and gave it to Laura, who promptly popped the cylinder latch, opened the cylinder, and ejected the ammo, then handed the gun back with the action open. I was really proud of her when I heard the story.

After she got into college, she got a bit more interested in learning how to shoot, so usually when she came home for holidays or semester breaks, she'd ask me to take her out shooting, which I was always happy to do. She's shot a lot of different things, now, from Remington and Ruger .22's to my S&W 686 4" with both .38 and .357 rounds, and my AR-15. Out of all those, she likes the 686 best. She's 24 now, and finishing up her Master's Degree, and I have a feeling that after she's finished with school and goes to work somewhere, I'm going to lose the 686, but I don't think I'll mind a whole lot.

And by the way, RevJammer, I just happen to have a couple of NIB blue 4" Security Sixes sitting in my safe.............................

RevJammer
December 12, 2009, 20:47
Originally posted by catmguy445

And by the way, RevJammer, I just happen to have a couple of NIB blue 4" Security Sixes sitting in my safe.............................

I'm not really financially ready to buy another pistol right now... but I can't help but ask if you are looking to part with them and if so, what are you asking?

Truthfully though, I'd really like another stainless one.

catmguy445
December 13, 2009, 21:18
RevJammer,

Actually, I'm not trying to sell them. I had an FFL when Ruger brought out the GP100 and discontinued the Security Six, and a bunch of wholesalers that carried Rugers dumped the Security Sixes on the market for almost nothing, and I think I bought half a dozen of the 4" blue ones, if I remember right. I used one of them for a class gun and also used it doing some armed security work, and sold a few of them, but I think I still have 2 4" models with consecutive serial numbers and one 2 3/4" that are still in the original boxes in my safe. Truthfully, I'd have to do a little research and see what the average price for a Security Six would be now. I don't remember what I paid for them any more, but I'm not really in a hurry to sell them, either.