PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with the 200.00 tax stamp

pns112500
December 04, 2009, 20:04
I'm preparing for my first Suppressor. I know their is a 200 dollar tax stamp that I have to pay right off the bat. Is that a one time fee, Or an annual fee? Also, Is it transferable? I dont know squat about these, But Christmas is coming and I want one. I want a "can type" and I'll be installing it on a .22 of some sort. BTW, That brings up another question, Can it be removed from one gun and put on another (providing its threaded)?

toolman5256
December 04, 2009, 20:53
Originally posted by pns112500
I'm preparing for my first Suppressor. I know their is a 200 dollar tax stamp that I have to pay right off the bat. Is that a one time fee, Or an annual fee? Also, Is it transferable? I dont know squat about these, But Christmas is coming and I want one. I want a "can type" and I'll be installing it on a .22 of some sort. BTW, That brings up another question, Can it be removed from one gun and put on another (providing its threaded)?

yes it is a one time fee per nfa item

yes it is transferable but the new owner will need to pay the same $200 fee for the transfer

yes you can put your can on any gun that is threaded and the same caliber providing there is no local laws against it.

Artful
December 04, 2009, 21:33
Um, you can submit your paperwork before Xmas but don't expect to take anything home for 6-9 months after submission.

pns112500
December 04, 2009, 22:16
Originally posted by toolman5256

yes it is a one time fee per nfa item

yes it is transferable but the new owner will need to pay the same $200 fee for the transfer

yes you can put your can on any gun that is threaded and the same caliber providing there is no local laws against it.

Thank you.

pns112500
December 04, 2009, 22:17
Originally posted by Artful
Um, you can submit your paperwork before Xmas but don't expect to take anything home for 6-9 months after submission.

With the 200, And which ATF form #?

101ABN327
December 05, 2009, 07:00

With the 200, And which ATF form #?

If you are buying a factory can from a dealer it will transfer to you on a Form 4.

pns112500
December 05, 2009, 19:18
Thank you.

gunadict
December 06, 2009, 09:23
Form 4's have been processing a little faster lately. I just got one back on a silencer and it took just over 2 months from the time I mailed it. They cashed my check within a week. I did this one on a tust. I have one more for an sbr on the same trust that has been just over a month, hopefully it follys the same timeline as my silencer. I'll have it before Christmas. If you go to m4carbine.net they have a nfa section that people post their timelines.

matchmakertrading.com
December 06, 2009, 12:02
Only exception to the $200 tax stamp is in the case of an inheritence... no tax in that case. Still has to xfer on form 4.

partisan50
December 06, 2009, 12:20
"Only exception to the $200 tax stamp is in the case of an inheritence... no tax in that case. Still has to xfer on form 4."

Wrong-o, it will transfer tax free on a Form 5.

Anytime you use a Form 4 there must be a $5.00 or $200.00 payment enclosed.

http://www.titleii.com/pdf/010205-Form5.pdf

pns112500
December 06, 2009, 18:44
So to initially get the ball rolling, I have to fill out a form 4 with 200.00 enclosed. Then wait x amount of months, Receive form 4 and take it to the Suppressor mfg and pay him. Receive can, Install, Have fun?

toolman5256
December 06, 2009, 18:47
Originally posted by gunadict
Form 4's have been processing a little faster lately. I just got one back on a silencer and it took just over 2 months from the time I mailed it. They cashed my check within a week. I did this one on a tust. I have one more for an sbr on the same trust that has been just over a month, hopefully it follys the same timeline as my silencer. I'll have it before Christmas. If you go to m4carbine.net they have a nfa section that people post their timelines.

i have heard talks that they were going to do away with the trust thing. are they still going to ?

toolman5256
December 06, 2009, 18:50
dont quote me as its been years since ive dealt with this, but i believe you have to purchase the can first then you submit the money and form 4. hopefully someone whose delt with this recently will be able to tell you for sure.

olgier
December 06, 2009, 19:18
when i bought my gemtech, i paid my SOT for the can, filled out the form 4, had my finger prints taken on the cards to accompany the form 4 along with the required passport sized photo. mailed the form, fingerprints, photo, and a MO for $200.00. When the tax stamp came back 6 months later, i picked up my can at the SOT's.

the tax stamp was sent to said SOT by BATF and was picked up at the same time as the can.

pns112500
December 07, 2009, 20:48
Better hope I can pass the BG check huh? Thanks guys Ill get the form 4 and start. I would like to get the approval 1st so I could use that time to save up for the can.

Lee Carpentieri
December 07, 2009, 22:38
Quote,
pns112500 I would like to get the approval 1st so I could use that time to save up for the can.

You have to buy the can/suppressor first and then apply for the form 4, As the form 4 needs to have the serial number of the weapon or device on the form 4.
Now if you can find a dealer that will do a 50/50 deal, As in 50% up front and then the other 50% due when the transfer comes though from BATFE. Just make sure your dealing with an FFL/SOT3 dealer that has a proven track record for being honest and up front.

4x401
December 07, 2009, 23:20
Yup, what Lee said.

1) buy can
2) fill out form 4 (WITH serial# of new can)
3) submit form 4 to local LEO for PRE approval
4) submit PRE approved form 4 to BATFE W/$200 check
5) wait 2-6 months for form 4 to return to SOT
6) pick up can

L1A1rocker
December 07, 2009, 23:37
Originally posted by toolman5256

i have heard talks that they were going to do away with the trust thing. are they still going to ?

That is not within the authority of ATF to do (thankfully). The defination of "person" that includes trusts was set by the letter of the law. Only congress will be able to change that by amending the law.

CG&L
December 08, 2009, 15:28
It isn't within the legal authority of the ATF to do away with the trust option but they can make it more difficult and time consuming.

With fewer and fewer CLEOs signing-off, more people are going the trust route.

Supposedly the ATF is going to have a new check list/procedure for handling trust in 2010. I can only hope they will follow the law

I would doubt this a streamlining effort designed to get the good citizens of the US their suppressors, SBRs, machine guns, etc...

pns112500
December 08, 2009, 20:10
Thanks guys for all the info. I'll start at the Can Mfg 1st (christmas). Then get the form 4 rolling. Ya'll rock.

Alton

pmf
December 09, 2009, 13:41
You really ought to find a NFA FFL who will help you out on your first transfer. The process is complicated the first time and its easy to screw it up. The dealer will charge you a fee for the transfer (in my neck of the woods its $100). So your upfront costs for the can is $300. And its virtually impossible to sell a used silencer because the upfront costs for the buyer will be at least $200 (if he's a resident of your state and as much as $500 if he's a resident of another state. For those reasons, it makes no sense to buy a cheap can. Get a good one.

You need to send off:
1. form 4 in duplicate signed by your CLEO (usually a sheriff or chief of police) -- some won't sign. Find out if yours does -- the dealer will know. These need to have color passport size pictures affixed. I advise taping them on with clear, wide packing tape -- the form will come back to you folded through the picture.
2. Proof of U.S. citizenship -- this is a form you fill out and verify (by yourself) that you are a U.S. citizen. It has to be the goofiest federal form in existence.
3. Fingerprint cards. Make sure you have the ones acceptable by BATF. Some folks say you can print yourself, but I usually have the local police office do mine for $5. They always do good readable prints.
4. Check to BATF for $200.

Fill out the form carefully. Your dealer should look it over. Send it out and wait. With any luck, it'll get approved this summer.

pns112500
December 12, 2009, 21:37
:bow:

Lee Carpentieri
December 13, 2009, 00:41
Also, FILL OUT as the form 4 states, DON"T ABBREVIATE NOTHING,Remember, your dealing with a Federal agency that sticks to the letter of the law,Cross the T's and Dot the i's.

B Wood
December 13, 2009, 08:10
Like to add a few tips

1. Since we are talking suppressors....have your barrels professionally threaded....by a company that knows what they are doing. Mark at TROS has done threading for mine. You do not want your brand new suppressor to encounter baffle strikes due to being mis-aligned. Most suppressor companies either will thread, or can tell you who they recommend.

2. If we are talking .22 LR suppressors...get one that is "User Serviceable"..i.e...you can clean it. Invest in anti-seize, and clean it regularly unless you prefer watching the performance of the suppressor decline due to being gunked up.

3. Do you have a lockable cabinet that only you have access to? That is part of owning class 3 toys. They cannot be accessed by anyone BUT you.

4. Be prepared to wait.

5. When you get your approved forms from your dealer make copies......lots of copies. Put the originals in a safe place. Carry the copies with you when you go shooting. ATF can ask to see your "papers" and you are required to show them if an ATF agent asks. Get used to it. I never have been asked by ATF, but I have been asked questions by local police when they saw me on a range. Most LE do not know class three weapons or requirements.....most class three owners know more about what is required than LE does.

good luck...I love my class 3 toys.

B Wood
December 13, 2009, 08:15
Better hope I can pass the BG check huh? Thanks guys Ill get the form 4 and start. I would like to get the approval 1st so I could use that time to save up for the can.

you can't do that. The dealer is required to submit the serial number of the suppressor when he sends in the forms....so he will want payment up front. I do not know of ANY dealer who will submit your forms and wait for you to save the money.

Just saw that Lee covered this....Lee is correct.....there are some dealers that will submit on a 50% down...but that usually is for very expensive machine guns....not suppressors.

pmf
December 13, 2009, 14:53
Aside from local laws -- if you can legally own/buy a pistol, you can legally own/buy a machine gun or silencer.

Artful
December 13, 2009, 17:27
Originally posted by B Wood
Like to add a few tips

1. Since we are talking suppressors....have your barrels professionally threaded....by a company that knows what they are doing. Mark at TROS has done threading for mine. You do not want your brand new suppressor to encounter baffle strikes due to being mis-aligned. Most suppressor companies either will thread, or can tell you who they recommend.

Your local dealer will be able to tell you if he has someone local who is qualified to do threading, If shipping to TROS or other company - there might be a wait involved as some do BATCH processing to keep setup/tooling costs down. IE they wait until they have a bunch of barrels that all need 16x1 LH Metric to be cut.

2. If we are talking .22 LR suppressors...get one that is "User Serviceable"..i.e...you can clean it. Invest in anti-seize, and clean it regularly unless you prefer watching the performance of the suppressor decline due to being gunked up.

Do your research, remember lead bullets thru 9mm or 45 ACP do the same thing 22LR do. If you can find a dealer with samples to hear what you are getting. Several sites like www.silencerresearch.com and www.silencertalk.com have people who can offer advise - buy the best one you can afford and you won't regret the extra cost. Remember your after suppression.

3. Do you have a lockable cabinet that only you have access to? That is part of owning class 3 toys. They cannot be accessed by anyone BUT you.

unless you do a LLC or Trust, in which can you can have multiple people with access but no one else.

4. Be prepared to wait.

First NFA item is the hardest, Order it and forget about it, then be pleasently surprised when your dealer calls, Also the first one takes longest, after your in the system it speeds up a bit, Use the wait time to get multiple hosts ready for your new can.

5. When you get your approved forms from your dealer make copies......lots of copies. Put the originals in a safe place. Carry the copies with you when you go shooting. ATF can ask to see your "papers" and you are required to show them if an ATF agent asks. Get used to it. I never have been asked by ATF, but I have been asked questions by local police when they saw me on a range. Most LE do not know class three weapons or requirements.....most class three owners know more about what is required than LE does.

You'll probably not be bothered by LEO's, one thing that you can do is have Kinko's make a reduced copy and laminate it. You can put them together on a Neck Lanyard - if you keep them all on it - no matter which toy you bring you'll have you paperwork with you.

good luck...I love my class 3 toys.

if you get a SMG/MG then post ammo let down is a concern but of suppressor you just need to make sure you have subsonic rounds unless your willing to live with the loud crack.

pns112500
December 13, 2009, 19:30
:bow: :bow: :bow: Copy that!

pmf
December 14, 2009, 08:32
"First NFA item is the hardest, Order it and forget about it, then be pleasently surprised when your dealer calls, Also the first one takes longest, after your in the system it speeds up a bit, Use the wait time to get multiple hosts ready for your new can."

This is an urban myth. Every time is independent of the last. Its a process that is the same the first time or the tenth time. All depends on how backed up your examiner and the FBI is. There is no system that you get logged into. The first time seems the longest though.

GiggleSmith
December 23, 2009, 18:41
Originally posted by 4x401
Yup, what Lee said.

1) buy can
1a) Get fingerprints taken. May be either charged a minimal fee or done free depending upon Police Department.
1b) Get 2 color Passport Photos taken. Will be trimmed to 2x2 inches and glued to Form 4.
2) fill out form 4 (WITH serial# of new can)
3) submit form 4 to local LEO for PRE approval
4) submit PRE approved form 4 to BATFE W/$200 check
5) wait 2-6 months for form 4 to return to SOT
6) pick up can

Changed a few things. 5 $200 Tax Stamps to my credit (so far).

GiggleSmith
December 23, 2009, 18:46
Originally posted by pmf
"First NFA item is the hardest, Order it and forget about it, then be pleasently surprised when your dealer calls, Also the first one takes longest, after your in the system it speeds up a bit, Use the wait time to get multiple hosts ready for your new can."

This is an urban myth. Every time is independent of the last. Its a process that is the same the first time or the tenth time. All depends on how backed up your examiner and the FBI is. There is no system that you get logged into. The first time seems the longest though. Very True. 4th Stamp was a purchase in late November with pickup in late March. Last Stamp - for a suppressor - bought in March, arrived in late August. I didn't go to "PENDING" - I called them up - until June.:rolleyes:

dino1
January 04, 2010, 20:58
don't forget the certificate of citizenship or whatever, make sure your forms are good the first time, screw it up and you only prolong the agony. SBR paperwork sent mid dec.