PDA

View Full Version : 1st S&W

Blue Monster
December 04, 2009, 18:17
An impulse buy (seemed too good to pass up).

It's my first Smith ever, how does it look?

Bottle and wheel gun are the same age.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/bluemonster2003/66-2.jpg

Sorry for the cell pic, almost everything I own is packed.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/bluemonster2003/66-2a.jpg

Indycar
December 04, 2009, 18:33
Looking forward to see you do your wood magic on a pair of grips for your Mdl 66!!

If you are interested, I can hook you up with a gunsmith just west of Richmond who does wonders with S&W actions. PM me if you are interested......Dave

gunner30
December 04, 2009, 18:51
Agreed, looks good, will look better with some fine wood grips

vmtz
December 04, 2009, 20:14
Nice.

Fr. Vince

bykerhd
December 04, 2009, 21:07
Nice revolver.
Get yourself some speed loaders before you start whittlin' grips for it.
You need a bit of clearance to be able to use them. It would be a shame to get a nice set of grips made up and then have to modify them so the speedloaders will work. They also sell strips that'll hold six cartridges for faster reloading.
They'll work with any grips. If you like them.

Blue Monster
December 04, 2009, 23:47
I will whittle something up eventually, gonna take some serious though on the wood color/type. Though I am thinking light.

Dave, the action feels pretty good, very even DA (though could be better and lighter) and a crystal sharp break in SA. I am guessing about 4-5 lbs in SA. Cylinder is nice and tight with frozen lock up when pulled in to SA, tighter than my other wheel guns. Sweeeeet.
We will see how it shots, I may take you up on that offer.

I bought this for a weatherproof OC sidearm for ranging around in the new backyard the Pachs are fine for winter and I have always liked "Presentations".

I am in OH tonight, wife called from up North: 9 inches since noon, the lake effect machine is fired up tonight. I should have bought my snow thrower already, been traveling to much :(.

Byker, rock and roll thanks for the advice. I can see exactly what you mean, the cylinder stays right next to the frame when open.
Didn't I read somewhere that SKS strippers fit .357 brass?

BTW the Pacheco Cab '85 was gone, so I dumped it and went to Byron Bien Nacido Santa Maria Pinot Noir for my Friday night libation. I must say: it was a very good call!

bykerhd
December 05, 2009, 00:45
Forget SKS strippers.
You don't want to take a chance on scratching anything up with those extremely, probably unnecessarily rugged steel SKS stripper clips.
The rubber ones offered by Bianchi and others aren't that expensive and won't give you any cause to cry if you get overzealous while trying a "tactical" reload.:wink:

Check for any signs of lubrication. The last few used Smiths I've bought have been dry and dirty. Especially the stainless ones. People seem to think stain-LESS means NO maintenance.:uhoh:

7.62srbest
December 05, 2009, 08:41
This may be blasphemy to some folks but I've carried and shot Colt, S&W and Ruger revolvers and the smoothest most accurate of the bunch has been the S&W's.

I don't think anythng can beat an N-frame S&W for smoothness. Accuracy is top notch as well.

Keep the thing well lubed if you're going to shoot it a lot. I've seen one stainless steel S&W with the cylinder locked up on the crane from galling. Just squirt a little lube down there from both sides after cleaning and it should be fine.

FUUN063
December 06, 2009, 05:40
You do know that Smith's are more addicting than FAL's don't you? They are gateway guns! :uhoh:

Leland :cool:

vmtz
December 06, 2009, 09:43
I don't even want to talk about it. I always jonesing for my next M&P.

Fr. Vince

Blue Monster
December 06, 2009, 10:43
An old rusty Steven's Favorite was my gateway gun, I was 10.
Personally I cannot think of a better gun to start a kid on, though I started mine on a .22 bolt but I didn't give him the mag. :devil:

While this may be my first S&W I have others in SS and understand the necessity to lube them more than Blue steel. This 66-2 is very, very clean it is not an issued revolver, forcing cone is perfect and shows little to no leading.

My other 357 is a tuned Blue Speed Six which I adore but as mentioned my new spread is in snow country so I wanted something all weather for OC while puttering about in my personal woods. (a foot on the ground this AM as per the CDO).

Comparing the two side by side (I haven't shot the S&W yet) they weigh about the same, the Speed has a better DA but the Smith trigger in SA is absolutely that broken glass rod feeling... superb. I promise a comparison range report soon.

My addiction has turn into a quest to have exactly what I want and they all work perfectly. Since embarking on this quest my collection has decreased by 40-50%. However, what I have works and gets shot. :)

Great info guys thanks!

So, just how much grief will I get when I drill a hole in the bottom for a Lanyard loop?

Squint
December 06, 2009, 15:33
My first S&W was a model 19. I have a 469 that I bought off of a friend who needed money to pay some hospital bills. Has a trigger like a stapler. I only bought it to help him out but it is actually a decent little pistol.

You can buy a box full of S&W wood grips on Ebay for $10. Save your energy for making FAL furniture!

FUUN063
December 07, 2009, 07:38
You'll get no grief unless you alter the serial number there. Then, :eek:

If you can get it in there somewhere, don't worry, stainless can be welded easily and then sanded/buffed out to match again later if you no longer want the lanyard ring. Be careful.

Leland :fal:

gobbler
December 08, 2009, 20:06
If you shoot it alot, you will appreciate the rubber grips. Hogue fingers are the best....

CTW
January 03, 2010, 09:52
Nice revolver there. Smith and Wesson doesnt make em like that anymore with the new ones having the locks on em. The attention to detail and machining just dont seem to be as nice nowadays either. Should be a great shooter.

fry
January 03, 2010, 20:45
bitchen

BUFF
January 04, 2010, 04:04
CTW is correct, S&W doesn't make them like that any more!

In fact, they discontinued all of their K frame .357 Magnum revolvers a couple of years ago. No more Models 19, 66, 13 or 65. They have broadened their array of L frame .357 variants, but the L frame guns are generally bigger and heavier than the K frames.

I carried one Model 66 or another, usually with Pachmayr grips, daily for the first 10 years of my career. They offer a great combination of portability, power, accuracy and handiness equalled by very few handguns. It is perfect for what you want it for.

MAINER
January 04, 2010, 12:57
Good buy!
I've had one of the "short-range" models (2 1/2") for quite a while. Excellent trigger, fit, finish, and great sights, but very loud. :uhoh:
Used to load it with Speers soft lead slugs and Bullseye when I was an apartment dweller so as not to irritate the neighbors if needed.

Enjoy!

owlcreekok
January 09, 2010, 08:38
Either someone really got down on the cylinder front face or it has not been shot a lot. My two SS Smiths have been shot a lot. One of them a HELL of a lot. The cylinder face shows it. Suffice to say it is not silver anymore..

I like Pachmayer grippers. FWIW.

A fella asked me this week what he could get for an unfired, new in original box revolver. He is not a "gun guy". He impulse bought it 15 or so years ago from a local dealer. He did not know what model it was, just that it is a Smith & Wesson. Turns out after me surfing GunBroker for pics with him, that he has a Model 686 with the 4" barrel. At first, he wanted to sell it for what he had in it. Right at $300.

At end of conversation, he decided to keep it.

Another one saved. :angel:

BUFF
January 10, 2010, 04:44
Lotsa ways to clean the cylinder face. On stainless guns, the various "lead-away" cloths work, but they remove bluing, too. On blue, nickel or stainless guns, a bronze or brass "toothbrush" and a good solvent will remove the black with a little repetition.

If it matters. I just like my guns to look clean.

Indycar
January 10, 2010, 19:53
On stainless guns, use Semi-Chrome or Flitz to take off the burn rings. When done, you can't tell the cylinder was ever fired!

CTW
January 16, 2010, 21:18
Those cloths seem to work well on stainless, but as was said keep away from bluing.

W.E.G.
January 16, 2010, 22:08
Not my first one, but a dead ringer for my first one.

Had to give the first one back to the .gov.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN3272smaller.jpg

liftstationman
February 11, 2010, 19:03
nice piece.

when i was in the service i carried the S&W combat master piece.

i always felt that we were under powdered among our comtemparies who carried the 1911a1.

lately i have dicovered the enjoyment of revolver shooting.

keep it in the black!

liftstationman

March 04, 2010, 22:02
Sweet!!! I carried one as a cop before I joined the Marine Corps. Mine had the stock Goncala Alves target grips though. ;)

SPEEDGUNNER
March 04, 2010, 22:07
Stainless S&W .38/.357 with a 4" barrel, my personal favorite when it comes to heading out into the woods or downriver in a canoe. Ya just can't beat it. Nice buy. Enjoy.