PDA

View Full Version : GEMTEC M4-02

milmuseum
November 27, 2009, 17:19
I have a GEMTEC M4-02 can for my AR-15's. I was told by the guy who sold it to me that I can use it on .22's also. Another dealer told me that that would scew it up due to the brass melting and coating the inside of the can. Any thoughts out there?

W.E.G.
November 27, 2009, 20:21
brass melting?

skeeterbay
November 27, 2009, 20:49
I think he meant leading or lead melting.

I don't know anything about the Gemtec's. I am sure someone that owns one will be along to answer your question. From what I have read you can't take the Gemtec's apart to clean them. That may or may not cause some issues if they got heavy deposits of lead in them.

I know some people that use 22's in their 556 can. However it's a different brand of can.

Like I said someone that owns one will be along that can tell you one way or another, or you could contact Gemtec and ask them.

Skeeter!

milmuseum
December 05, 2009, 09:50
He was talking about the thin brass coating on the 22LR ammo heating up and spraying the inside of the can.

MrM4
December 14, 2009, 17:13
i've done it, not the best idea, after about 5k round you will notice a loss in noise reduction, if you dont mind have to alittle cleaning on it they make a great FA .22 can. To bad they dont come apart to make then easier to clean :(

Stranger
December 15, 2009, 14:16
Shooting .22LR through a can that you cannot take apart is an incredibly bad idea... unless of course you have money to burn and sending it back to GemTech for cleaning is no big deal. That isn't cheap and why most people have a dedicated .22LR can.

.22LR is incredibly dirty and why better .22LR cans can be disassembled for cleaning.

BTW, its not the electroplated brass on the round that will melt, it is the lead. The thing that kills a .22LR can is all the excess powder that builds up along with the lead.

milmuseum
March 11, 2010, 13:46
Thanks for the input. I guess I should break down and get a 22 can. There is a guy local who makes and sells them reasonable @ $200.00 ea.

W.E.G.
March 11, 2010, 14:01
Hey don't forget to visit us again on Labor Day!

AlaskanMBR
March 11, 2010, 17:00
Some newer .22 can designs do not need to be taken apart to be cleaned, such as the TAC-SOL Cascade Ti. They recommend a specific cleaning agent you can soak it in, I forget which one.

Stranger
March 11, 2010, 17:53
Originally posted by milmuseum
I have a GEMTEC M4-02 can for my AR-15's. I was told by the guy who sold it to me that I can use it on .22's also. Another dealer told me that that would scew it up due to the brass melting and coating the inside of the can. Any thoughts out there?

Its not the copper on the bullets its the lead.

olgier
March 15, 2010, 14:00
I'd be more concerned with baffle strikes from a .22. The air volume is alot greater in a non .22 LR can and might cause some destabilization issues.