PDA

View Full Version : How do you check the status of a form 4

skeeterbay
November 27, 2009, 16:04
I see where some of you folks have checked the status of your pending form 4's and form 1's. Is there a special number ATF has for that purpose? I have been all over their web site and I can't find anything marked for checking the status of pending applications.

Thanks

Skeeter!

jaykden
November 27, 2009, 18:27
NFA branch phone numbner is:

(304) 616-4500

make sure when you call that you have the model number and serial number ready to give them

skeeterbay
November 27, 2009, 20:38
Thanks!

Skeeter!

idsubgun
November 29, 2009, 10:12
Just call.

Funny thing and I've had it happen more then once. I'm sitting, waiting for my transfer to go through, maybe months, when I call about the status, I have gotten the "oh, it's right here on my desk and we just approved it" answer. Talking to others, they have been told the same thing. Makes me wonder if it's not some sort of a game to see how long we'll wait for transfers? And when we'll call?

You know as well as I do, that a back ground check takes very little time. You've already been checked by your local law enforcement when you got the paperwork started, so all they have to do is the FBI check.

greenpeas
December 01, 2009, 11:15
Call 'em.

I believe they now have a lackey answering the phone and checking your status. You won't be bugging the actual examiners most of the time.

I sent my forms in March of 2009. After a 6 month wait, I called and spoke with my examiner.

My dealer had listed the "overall length of firearm" incorrectly on the form and the paperwork had been sent back months ago. Nobody ever called to inform me. Dealer claimed the paperwork had gotten "lost in the mail".

I had to redo all the paperwork, cleo sign off, photos. Filled out the form myself this time. Sent it back.

I could have been in limbo for a year and nobody would have contacted me if I hadn't called. This way it was only a short 9 months wait!

The folks at the atf branch were usually nice and helpful. They're just cogs in the machine.

From my understanding most examiners come to work very early in the morning and leave early in the day. If you need to speak to an examiner, it's best to call them early in the morning.

Things I've learned....
Nobody gives a shit how quickly you get your stuff except you.
Overall Firearm Length is measured with folding stocks fully extended!
Don't hesitate to call the ATF - that's why they have telephones.
Really, nobody gives a shit how quickly you get your stuff except you.

jaykden
December 04, 2009, 12:57
when you call NFA branch, you NEVER initially speak to an examiner, only time you do is if you request it.

there are 3 phone jockeys, 2 gals and a guy. the gals are nice, the guy can be purty dang surly sometimes.