PDA

View Full Version : 250 Savage twist rate

bobm1919
November 27, 2009, 07:45
Just got my hands on a Remington M700 Classic in 250 Savage.

As far as my research has shown it was made in 1984 and is in fine condition, been fired but not a lot. Somewhere along the line it was set up with a Redfield 4-16x44 scope which is also in good condition and seems to be properly set up. It appears to be one of the Remington "Classic" series that were produced for any given caliber for one year only.

Been gathering up ammo (ouch!!!) and hope to get in some range time this weekend. Reloading for it will commence as soon as I can scare up some projectiles, 25 caliber seem pretty thin on the ground here in my corner of the northeast. Haven't made the trek to any of the larger shops yet and probably will not today (black Friday and all - LOL).

Does anyone know, off the top, what twist rate was chosen for this particular rifle?

I assume that it would be 1 in 10 as the old 87 grain load was pretty much (long, long) gone by '84 but I would like to know.

Thank You in advance.

MAINER
November 28, 2009, 10:42
You might want to break out the "cleaning rod and tight patch" trick on this one. Start patch in the barrel, mark rod with Sharpy, wrap tape around rod to make a flag, push rod untill flag makes a 360 deg. rotation, mark rod with Sharpy, remove rod, measure distance between marks. (just in case somebody wanted to know)

The 250 Savage has been barreled with everything from 9 1/2" to 14" I think you guessed right at 1 in 10" for the Remy, but they have gotten it wrong before.

This scource give it as 10", but they are wrong on Savage as the Model 99 was 1 in 14". Maybe the newer Bolt guns are 10", not sure.

Note that this is a PDF file;
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reference/pdf/Twist%20Tables_Rifle.pdf

richbug
November 28, 2009, 11:18
Originally posted by MAINER
You might want to break out the "cleaning rod and tight patch" trick on this one. Start patch in the barrel, mark rod with Sharpy, wrap tape around rod to make a flag, push rod untill flag makes a 360 deg. rotation, mark rod with Sharpy, remove rod, measure distance between marks. (just in case somebody wanted to know)

The 250 Savage has been barreled with everything from 9 1/2" to 14" I think you guessed right at 1 in 10" for the Remy, but they have gotten it wrong before.

This scource give it as 10", but they are wrong on Savage as the Model 99 was 1 in 14". Maybe the newer Bolt guns are 10", not sure.

Note that this is a PDF file;
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reference/pdf/Twist%20Tables_Rifle.pdf

I concur, my 99 had a 1 in 14" I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with 100's and 117's.

bobm1919
November 28, 2009, 15:32
Thank You

The comment about the 1 in 91/2 to 14 is what prompted the question.

I'll do the flag routine tonight and then we will know.

Artful
November 28, 2009, 21:49
Good find - only made in 1984 and a great caliber for deer and 'yotes.

bobm1919
November 30, 2009, 09:58
So, the patch/rod routine shows that this rifle is, indeed, a 1 in 10 twist.

On the range it gobbles up the 100 grain hunting loads like no tomorrow.

Once I figured out where the scope had been zeroed to, it was good to go.

After 10 rounds or so it starts to walk off but that is probably due to the pencil barrel on the thing

No paper targets yet as I did not want to fool about with the scope settings w/o having a quantity of homeloads to work with. I will not be able to afford to feed it factory ammo ($30+ a box hereabouts) so I'll just have to wait till the projectiles arrive.

Fortunately, I had a couple of boxes on the shelf, those came from someones basement cleanout years ago. It was enough to let me try it out and will ultimately end up as reloads.

It seemed to like the Winchester silver tips best, half a box of those and a half box of Remingtons came with the deal.

Thank You

MAINER
November 30, 2009, 11:03
Doesn't surprise me that it likes the 100gr bullets. Charles Newton designed that cartridge back in 1915 and recommended a 100 gr bullet to Savage, but they went with an 87gr so they could get 3000fps out of it and listed it as .250-3000 Savage.

Quite a few years ago, there was a local gunsmith named Davy Crockett (honest) that built a 250-3000 on a Mauser actioned varmit rig. It shot tiny little groups and Crows in the area quickly learned that 400 yards was not a safe distance. :D

You got a nice rifle there. :bow:

Now, ya need a .257 Roberts! :D