PDA

View Full Version : wtk - FN SPR Actions

offshore44
November 21, 2009, 21:51
I'm getting the itch to build a centerfire "plinking" rifle to go with my Winchester M52. A couple of guys on gunbroker.com have FN SPR actions up for bid. The SPR has all of the "goodies" that I desire in a rifle. The question is: What are these actions going for and where else can you get them? The GB auctions seem to price them in the $450 range +/-.

One of the vendors in Shotgun News had them advertised a little while back, but I can't find the issue right now. All of my cr*p is packed up in boxes because I'm in the middle of a move.

ramiller
November 22, 2009, 07:39
cdnn had or maybe still has actions for sale, they were listed in their catalog. they also have complete rifles for sale. two calibers are listed, 308 and 300 wsm

the gman
November 22, 2009, 10:41
Originally posted by ramiller
cdnn had or maybe still has actions for sale, they were listed in their catalog. they also have complete rifles for sale. two calibers are listed, 308 and 300 wsm

Cdnn does have them listed as barreled actions in the those two calibers at $399 plus shipping. I bought two of the .308 barreled actions & built them up into nice rifles. An action alone was selling for around $350 IIRC. $450 is a tad high for me but that may float your boat. Personally, I'd call Cdnn & grab a barreled action, unscrew the barrel & sell it & then do whatever you wanted to. YMMV.

BlameCandida
November 22, 2009, 12:00
I bought one FN SPR action from CDNN for $350 (plus tax and shipping) back in August and received it at my FFL the next day. I ordered it on a Thursday, and then got a call on Friday from my dealer saying "your action is here." I figured it was the DSA Type III over-run I had been waiting a month for, but apparently not.

As to the actions that CDNN carries, I bought a plain FN SPR action, with no barrel. This is the old-style Win 70 action with controlled round feed and the Mauser extractor. I had a choice between detachable box mag and hinged floorplate, so I went with the DBM. When I ordered the action, CDNN did not have any SPR barreled actions or loose barrels that would fit.

However, CDNN also sells FN PBR actions and barreled actions. Be careful if ordering one of these, because there are two types of FN PBR: the regular Patrol Bolt Rifle, and the PBR XP. The XP has the Mauser extractor and CRF like the SPR, while the plain PBR lacks both features. You'll notice in the current CDNN catalog (pg 33), that they describe the plain PBR as "controlled round push feed." I'm pretty sure this is just regular push feed like a Rem 700; I don't know why they had to go and make it confusing.

The barreled action listed for sale in the current catalog is for 300 WSM (short action, .540 bolt face diam). Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that will work for the .308 family cartridges (short action, .470 bolt face diam). I don't have my summer catalog handy, but I want to say that at the time they did have the .308 barrel action in FN PBR (non-XP) available.

As to what I'm doing with the action, I ordered a CDI floorplate for it to use AICS mags, and am waiting on a 22" varmint profile barrel from Krieger. I'm also planning on getting a Manners stock for it. I have no idea what glass I'm going to put on top, because I don't know anything about optics.

offshore44
November 22, 2009, 14:12
Thanks folks! That is the information that I was looking for. $350 from CDNN sounds like what I remember in the Shotgun News.

Hey BlameCandida, I was going to put the CDI bottom metal on mine as well. I'm going with a Pac-Nor polygonal barrel with a Palma contour in 6.5mm (6.5x51mm) in the .260 Remington.

No idea on the stock or glass yet, though I do know that it will be a wood stock in a style to match the M52.

BlameCandida
November 22, 2009, 15:21
The CDI bottom metal wasn't too hard to fit to the action. It required a little WECSOG dremeling on the magwell of the action, which was a little scary, since I had just paid $350 for it. I think Jeff at CDI offers to do the mill work on the action for an extra $60 or so if you send it in to him.

Take this with a grain of salt, since the rifle isn't even near complete, and I definitely haven't fired it yet, but I was a little disappointed with the mag release lever on the CDI bottom metal. It seems to be a small bar of metal with a spring. Maybe simple is better in this case, but I was expecting something a little more robust.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/BlameCandida/DSC02741.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/BlameCandida/DSC02743.jpg

The AICS mag nearly fits in the SPR magwell, it's a shame that the magwell wasn't wider to begin with. Although, I'd be interested to see what it would take to get an FAL magazine to work with the SPR, similar to what JesseL over at WeTheArmed is doing for the Stevens 200.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/BlameCandida/DSC02740.jpg

the gman
November 22, 2009, 16:39
Just logged in at CDNN (I'm an FFL) & they still show the SPR with the claw extractor in stock with DBM & .308 bolt face for $349.99. Product code is FN21837.

That's supposedly the FFL only price so I hope you are good friends with one so he doesn't tag on a bunch of charges......

Jeff at CDI is good people & if you are disappointed with the mag release on his stuff, try spending money with Badger & finding the same release with less customer service.:sad: .338 LM mags are a LOT more expensive too.......

Jeff must have reduced his fitting prices as I was quoted $125 for the fitting a few months ago. Enjoy playing with the action & glad to be of some help.

offshore44
November 22, 2009, 23:01
Originally posted by BlameCandida
TThe AICS mag nearly fits in the SPR magwell, it's a shame that the magwell wasn't wider to begin with. Although, I'd be interested to see what it would take to get an FAL magazine to work with the SPR, similar to what JesseL over at WeTheArmed is doing for the Stevens 200.

I think that I across a bunch of photos on photo bucket that were yours...same name anyway.

I was thinking of bottom metal that used the G3 mags. They don't rock into the rifle, push straight in.

I have a couple of mags left form a PTR-91 that I used to have before I got my STG-58. I also have access to machine tools. Hmmm...

Thanks for sharing BlameCandida!

You too gman. Thanks for the product code.