PDA

View Full Version : Vz 24 and rear peep/ghost sights

Fn/form
November 14, 2009, 11:53
What process is needed to add a rugged peep or ghost ring rear sight to the rear of a Vz 24 Mauser? Is it a drop-in, DIY or gunsmith job?

AO makes one, it seems. I'm not finding a lot of info about how it's installed. I will have to find/join some Mauser boards.

I don't want a match sight or replacement rear leaf peep (Mojo). At least not yet, lol.

How about a solid scope mount to add a TR24 or scout scope? Haven't researched that one, yet.

Thanks.

shlomo
November 14, 2009, 18:17
The AO ghost ring attaches with two screws. I believe that they are 6-48s, but don't quote me on that--it's from memory.

If you are set up to accurately drill the two mount holes for a scope base, you can mount this sight.

FWIW, I had to relieve the raised area behind the clip slot to get the front lobe of the sight base to sit down flush on my VZ.

DYNOMIKE
November 14, 2009, 21:02
As much as I like my VZ-24 I simply could not shoot it fer shit because the Iron Sights were impossible for me to use/see..

I considered the scope option but instead installed a set of MOJO Sights and it made a huge difference.. A rifle that I basically could not shoot has turned out to be a very good ahooter after all..

I know it's not exactly what you asked but the MOJO sights really are an excellent Mod..

Fn/form
November 15, 2009, 14:11
Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate it.

FAL GRUNT
November 15, 2009, 21:26
Ya, I couldn't shoot my Yugo M48 for shit either. So I took the barrel off, put a shilen #4 contour on, shaped a new stock, bedded it, drilled and tapped the receiver, and now it shoots great!

:eek: :rofl:

Now if I could just get my money saved up for my 60% off Leupold I'd be dandy.

-myers

owlcreekok
November 16, 2009, 14:27
Originally posted by FAL GRUNT
Ya, I couldn't shoot my Yugo M48 for shit either. So I took the barrel off, put a shilen #4 contour on, shaped a new stock, bedded it, drilled and tapped the receiver, and now it shoots great!

:eek: :rofl:

Now if I could just get my money saved up for my 60% off Leupold I'd be dandy.

-myers

I keep fuggin around and my M-48 will be a nice one.

I just went the "WalMart" route and bought an Adams & Bennett F54 for mine in .308 (short chambered).

I got the Fajen plastic opened up for it this weekend. Hopefully I will get it re-bedded (It HAD a NIW milsurp .30-06 tube on it) during the week.

I already have a VX - 2 for it though. :shades:

On topic: There is a "no gunsmiffen" scope mount for the Mausers that "replaces" the rear sight. It requires a long eye relief scope, but reports are that it works.

My VZ 24 barrel needs a trip thru the headstock for a new crown, maybe a bit of a trim before I worry about sights on it. Mebsuta would recommend I counter bore it, and I just might at that.

:confused: