PDA

View Full Version : got my M16!!!!

jaykden
November 10, 2009, 23:40
for reasons of expense, i had to skip the adak caribou hunt. so sunday, the wife and i hopped on the ferry for juneau.

we had a nice evening in a hotel then monday morning i drove to chris's house (the dealer).

i filled out the 4473, then we did some furniture replacement on the lower.

i took off the A2 fixed stock and put on a 6pos M4 stock. also changed out the grip for a regular A2 grip.

after all this, we took off for the range to get some trigger time. the 9MM adapter didn't work too well, its the colt style system and the mags we not staying in the receiver. i checked it out and saw that the magazine catch was rounded on the top surface, causing the 9MM mags to slip out (the 9MM mags catch less of the mag catch surface than the regular AR mags).

i put the standard 11.5" 223 upper on and she ran like a raped ape. not one single issue in .223. i shot fed AE, sliver bear and wolf. it ate it all perfectly. i used the standard carbine buffer (lighter one) and we figured it was firing about 950 RPMs, it was really cookin!!!!!

i then decided to see how the ciener .22 adapter with the auto trip and weight did in FA. i was not expecting much as everything i read about FA .22 in an M16 is picky at best.

well, i did have issues but at first it ran pretty good. i had a few 15 round runs that you talk about FUN!!!! fast too!!! the issues i was having was stovepipes with a fresh one partway in the chamber and the hammer not resetting all the way. after some reading online, i found this is a common problem that can be fixed with lakeside machine's spring upgrade. so one of those sets are on the way.

so after shooting, we got some lunch, BS'd some more then later i went and found lois out at the glacier. before we caught the ferry (3AM this morning, UGH) we were able to load up on groceries at costco too! made a nice trip out of it.

i'll post photos later when i get the camera out.

today i made some copies of the form 4 to keep stored away in the boat and truck, that way i can keep the original locked safely away...

bykerhd
November 10, 2009, 23:44
Did you do the brewery tour where they make the Alaskan Amber jaykden ?
It's right over by COSTCO, as I remember. Or, was anyway.
I liked their samples better than COSTCO's.:biggrin:

jaykden
November 11, 2009, 00:40
actually i haven't been through that brewery, it would be interesting all right...

heh, i wonder if they have a limit on their samples???

i walk round and round at costco, pretty much having lunch..

LOL

dirtyrice
November 11, 2009, 03:15
Sweet. Can't wait for my turn to join the club :)

AlaskanMBR
November 14, 2009, 21:36
Wait till you get a can on that! The cyclic rate goes even higher. Friggin sweeet.

Fun stuff.

And you start to realize the advantage of a piston upper on a suppressed 11.5" M16.:wink:

jaykden
November 15, 2009, 16:04
i'm pissed right now.

less than a day after we got back from picking up the gun in juneau, i got nailed with the flu

its sunday now and i'm still sick, meanwhile i have an M16 sitting 15ft away NOT BEING USED!!!!

:mad:

anyway, i think i'm starting to feel better, fever has gone down to 100-101F

as soon as i'm feeling fine, i'll be getting the 16 out to the range!!!

Deadheadmatt
November 16, 2009, 13:25
Must be the bad karma for not posting pictures of your new rifle?

Matt

jaykden
November 16, 2009, 14:36
Originally posted by Deadheadmatt
Must be the bad karma for not posting pictures of your new rifle?

Matt

oooo, good point!

ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275943

olgier
November 16, 2009, 15:03
gratz! there was a frankford arsenal m-16 up here for sale a couple months ago for 9300.00. wish i had the $$ to buy it.

dirtyrice
November 17, 2009, 08:23
Guy on sturm has 20 m16's model 614 for sale for just under 12k a piece. Original guns not conversions
http://i35.tinypic.com/15mecsk.jpg

*sigh* maybe in a few years. Just makes me wonder how much more shit is in police department store rooms that is transferable.

jaykden
November 17, 2009, 13:44
those are reuben's from florida

i almost got a colt 614 for 10,300 but it was gone before i had the funds available.

those ones are in the 12,000 range.

i'm still VERY happy with the frankford arsenal....