PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ ID on latest

Old Ronin
November 07, 2009, 15:15
IT IS MARKED w/ - U. S. model of 1917 EDDYSTONE #470200

This was given to me by what was a good friends widow. I had moved form Mich. to Florida thirty years ago & over time had lost contact He taught school had moved & did not have a listed #. I had to go to Mich to bury my mother, found his address and went over to see him. I learned at that time he had died three years ago.
We hunted fished played poker ect. trashed Libbys and Markists, a real soul mate. This made me very sad.
His widow wanted me to take all of his guns. I was deeply moved. She said she could not think of anyone else that should have them. His widow understood how personal a mans wepons are to him.

I think this is a 303 Springfield with a sport modifacation.
If any one can help me, I would be very thankful.

Old Ronin
:sad:

JR in the NW
November 07, 2009, 15:51
1917 Enfield 30-06 originally. Can't say what it might be now.

bobm1919
November 27, 2009, 07:56
How extensively was it "sportsterized"?

These things can run the range from home brew hacksaw jobs to full on 'smith make overs.

Strip it down and examine the barrel, if the original military proofs are intact then it is probably still in '06, a 'smith job should have the caliber stamped on it, if not then get some cerrosafe and do a chamber cast.

Measure the boltface to see if that was altered from the original dimensions, this will, at least, give you an idea as to the range of cartridges it could have been converted to.

Good luck, be safe.