PDA

View Full Version : My Smith work for the week

FAL GRUNT
November 04, 2009, 23:52
Had 2 quick projects this week I wanted to finish.

The 629 I replaced the 6" barrel with the 4 in. Faced the cylinder off, cut the barrel extension, cut the forcing cone, and lapped it. Installed Meprolight front sight, waiting on replacement rear sight. Polished rebound slide and spring for a "light" trigger job. Brought trigger pull to DA 8-9lbs, SA 4lbs. Polished a few parts here and there to make general operation easier.

The 36 I again polished rebound slide and spring for a "light" trigger job. I chamfered the chambers in the cylinder to ease loading w/ a speed loader. Of course the most obvious job was bobbing the hammer...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/falgrunt/Picture1199.jpg

-myers

Gazz
November 07, 2009, 22:36
Why no rear sight on the 629?

FAL GRUNT
November 07, 2009, 23:42
Waiting on a replacement. The one that was on the gun was all buggered up. Have to order one. Once that comes in i'll install the rear mepro adjustable night sight.

-myers

catmguy445
November 17, 2009, 14:36
Myers,

Did you polish the side and bottom of the frame that the rebound slide bears on? I did my own action job on my 649 a few years back. I put a Bullseye spring kit in it, then discovered that with the lighter springs in it, the trigger wouldn't return after pulling it. So I took the whole thing apart and polished the rebound slide inside and outside, then polished the bottom and inside of the frame where the rebound slide touches, plus the inside of the side plate, and no more trigger hangup. Doing that also reduced the DA pull by about 2 pounds more. I've had professional gunsmiths remark about how smooth the action is when they tried it, and the gun is completely reliable. I've never had a misfire with it.

I'm pretty impressed with what you did with your Smiths, though. It looks like you did very nice work.

FAL GRUNT
November 17, 2009, 20:24
Polished bottom and left side of rebound slide (only 2 parts that contact frame) and where those faces touch on the frame. Polished the rebound slide spring to matchless to promote smooth even action. I could have reduced it some but decided not to.

Thanks for the compliment.

-myers