PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Judge KABOOM!

Regal Beagal
October 31, 2009, 21:18
Hey Folks,
Witnessed a Taurus Judge fail today. Thank goodness neither the shooter or I were injured. The top strap was severally bent and the cylinder split in half away from the cylinder rod/extractor and sending both cylinder halves airborne. One just barely missed me. If I had been just a little more forward it would have been a very painful experience. Pretty scary moment. It looks like the cylinder did not fully rotate, jamming a portion of the bullet against the left side of the frame and forcing cone. This was a handload, so it is possible that the reason the bullet got hung up was due to sizing inaccuracy, even though my buddy said he checked all shell lengths before using. Either way I am not all that impressed with the Judge. After I inspected one of the cylinder halves I noticed just how thin the cylinder walls are, which looked to me to be less than a 32nd. I saw the same thing happen to a Ruger GP100 but the cylinder stayed intact with the single chamber blown out. That rupture was due to a double charge. My buddy plans on sending an email along with a pic to Taurus to see what they will do to rectify the situation, if anything.

olgier
October 31, 2009, 21:26
i think your friend needs to check his reloads better. i have over 250 rds of 45 colt and 150 rds of .410 through mine without a hiccup.

Manedwolf
October 31, 2009, 21:29
So someone blew up their gun with what was likely a bad handload, and you blame the light-framed revolver NOT MEANT FOR HEAVY LOADS.

It is meant for shotshells, standard pressure 45 LC, and can handle stuff like Cor-Bon 45 LC +P if you don't do it regularly, just for defense.

You shoot heavy stuff in it, yeah, it'll come apart. RTFM.

bykerhd
October 31, 2009, 21:30
Did you notice if it was the Judge chambered for the 3" shells, or the shorter cylinder version ?
A 3" ? shell will load in the shorter cylinder, according to a friend who inadvertently did it, but locked up when he fired it.
Fortunately, did not BLOW up.
I wasn't there when he did it and haven't seen the ammo. But, this guy is no B.S.er. He had been told it was the 3" chamber model when in fact, it had a 3" barrel. Confusing choice by Taurus. They should have made the barrel 2.75 or maybe 3.25" to make it less so.
My friend exchanged it for the correct 3" chamber version which he is very happy with.

I wonder if your guy had loaded the incorrect ammo in that revolver ?

Manedwolf
October 31, 2009, 21:36
Originally posted by bykerhd
He had been told it was the 3" chamber model when in fact, it had a 3" barrel. Confusing choice by Taurus. They should have made the barrel 2.75 or maybe 3.25" to make it less so.
My friend exchanged it for the correct 3" chamber version which he is very happy with.

Or maybe people in Brazil actually read rollmarks on guns and manuals before loading ammunition and firing it? :rolleyes:

If that confused him, don't be around him when he's cleaning guns, because you might catch the ND when the chamber check is too complicated and confusing. I swear, some people just should stick to Nerf guns.

olgier
October 31, 2009, 22:06
actually bykerhd might have the correct answer to what happened.

i just slid a 3 inch into mine......... and it hangs up and is a pita to get back out. (unfired)

mine is a short one not the 3 inch.

Regal Beagal
November 01, 2009, 17:42
Folks,
I was just stating what I saw and what was told by the operator. This particular person has thousands of hand loaded rounds under his belt and is an addict when it comes to developing precision hand loads for both rifle and pistol due to his sniper training. Yes, he is an Army sniper with years of training and combat under his belt. Hey, he would be the first to say if he thought he had fudged up and when it all washes out he may fess up to making a mistake. As far as the revolver, I wasn't stating that it was a POS but just a little surprised that a pistol that claims to be able to shoot both .410 and +p .45LC would have such a thin cylinder wall. Even the big boys have fudged a few cylinders. As far as whether it had a 3" chamber or not I couldn't tell you since I haven't measured it. It could turn out to be an operator mistake or it could turn out to be a manufacturer quality issue or it could turn out to be a combination of both. As I mentioned, just stating what happened and that he was very fortunate to not be injured and I was very fortunate not to be injured. I do know that he is planning on talking with Taurus and sending them pics of the revolver, not to put them at blame but to try and determine what might have happened. RB

Survey Punk
November 01, 2009, 18:16
Handloads...warranty voided.

Betcha.

JB

Manedwolf
November 01, 2009, 18:24
Originally posted by Survey Punk
Handloads...warranty voided.

Betcha.

JB

Yup. No manufacturer wants to have to cover for Cokebottle Glasses Ed's Special Kaboom Handloads. Even SIG calls a warranty void on those.

bykerhd
November 01, 2009, 18:31
from Manedwolf I swear, some people just should stick to Nerf guns.

Laugh if you like. Then get off your dead ass and go look at and handle some of those 3" Judge revolvers and you'll see where some confusion can come in.

Should my friend have known or discovered the mistake BEFORE firing ? Hell yes.
BUT. He ordered what both he and the gun store clerk thought was the 3" CHAMBER model and picked it up at the shop from the same clerk when it came in.
The gun store clerk is no dummy, has sold hundreds, maybe thousands of guns, owns many guns himself, and is very knowledgeable about guns. He is also exceedingly embarrassed the whole incident took place.

But, maybe your one of those types that have NEVER made a mistake ?
At least that they have admitted too ?:rolleyes:

Manedwolf
November 01, 2009, 19:21
Originally posted by bykerhd
from Manedwolf

Laugh if you like. Then get off your dead ass and go look at and handle some of those 3" Judge revolvers and you'll see where some confusion can come in.

I own a Judge, genius. 2.5" sort, stainless. I also read manuals. I use snap caps to test the action of ANY gun before firing it. and also make sure every part is in order and properly lubed with operating lubricant, not factory preservant lubricant. I make sure it's going to work properly and that I'm familiar with every part before any live ammo comes near it.

If you don't read the manual completely for something that can explode in your hand, that's your problem.

festus
November 01, 2009, 19:28
I went to the local gun shop and related this story to the owner. He got a 3" shell and tried it out on the 2.5 cylinder. It went in, but it stuck out enough to keep the cylinder from turning. He didn't try to force it, but it might be possible with another brand of ammo.
Glad nobody was hurt.

TideWater 41009
November 02, 2009, 00:06
Originally posted by Regal Beagal
... As far as whether it had a 3" chamber or not I couldn't tell you since I haven't measured it...

There is no need to measure anything. The chambering must be stamped on the gun per federal law.

Para Driver
November 02, 2009, 22:04
quite possible his crimp was too light, and the bullets crept foward under recoil??

lazersnthjungle
November 02, 2009, 22:51
I'm *assuming* this was a .45 load.

How could any .45 cartridge be loaded so long (or bullet creep enough) to jam rotation of a cylinder made for .410? No way.

My reloading manuals are so old, there's a special page for .45 Colt pressures ONLY for Ruger Blackwawks and TC. I suppose by now, there are other products that can handle these higher pressures. (?) Is the Judge one one them?

ThunderGod
November 03, 2009, 00:46
Originally posted by Para Driver
quite possible his crimp was too light, and the bullets crept foward under recoil??

Thank you for posting this, first.:bow: :bow: :bow:

Manedwolf
November 03, 2009, 16:15
Originally posted by lazersnthjungle
My reloading manuals are so old, there's a special page for .45 Colt pressures ONLY for Ruger Blackwawks and TC. I suppose by now, there are other products that can handle these higher pressures. (?) Is the Judge one one them?

No. It is not meant for heavy loads. Even the manual says it's for standard pressure only.

Regal Beagal
November 03, 2009, 16:24
Now, the crimp if any could have been a factor, considering the round that was before it was a heavier charge. I also wondered after it happened that with the heavier load and it's recoil that it may have unlocked the cylinder or it slipped enough so that the bullet didn't make it all the way to the forcing cone. Hmmmm!