PDA

View Full Version : REISING M50

snake
October 25, 2009, 19:28
have the money to purchace my first sub gun was thinking of the reising 50..what do you guys think? found a Numeric Arms reconditioned m50 new in box 4k. does anyone know of these? how well was the reconditioning done ?comes with cleaning rod, 12rd mag and sling and of course regular cardboard box.

bykerhd
October 25, 2009, 21:44
I'm no Class III guy, but a Reising ??? :uhoh:

dirtyrice
October 26, 2009, 02:15
From reading and first hand observations the reisings tend to get dirty and jam quicker than most other mg's out there. A mac might be better money spent. Or event a spitfire (thompson clone)

pmf
October 26, 2009, 10:13
There are better choices than a Reising for a first machine gun. Reisings have a slow rate of fire which some folks find a little boring. They shoot 45 acp which is a little much for a subgun IMO. Spare parts aren't plentiful and mags are expensive (although Ken Christie is making new ones since the AWB expired) and not very high capacity (12 or 20 rounds).

The Spitfire (aka poor man's Thompson) is an interesting and cheap alternative, but it share's many of the Reising's problems. Its more of a curiousity than anything else IMO.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend an uzi. A registered receiver uzi can be had for around $7k. I think its a great machine gun to start with. It can be converted to shoot 22 and 45 easily -- kits for both are still around. Spare parts kits are cheap, but drying up. Mags are at historically low prices. The gun fires at around 600 rpm. You can buy cheap rubber buffers of various sizes to speed it up to around 1000 rpm and anywhere in between. One major manufacturer (Vector) is still in business. If you buy a Vector gun, they stand behind it with good customer support.

OK, so $7k is a little steep. Consider a SWD M11/9 (otherwise known as a mac). You can find one for around $3k. Problem is, its a crappy gun out of the box. For around $750, you can buy a Lage upper (http://www.max-11.com/) which turns a crappy gun into a really good one. Spend a few hundred bucks more for a decent stock (the wire stock it comes with is not safe to use) and you have a great machine gun for $4k. There are 22 kits coming from Lage. He's not perfected them yet, but when he does, they will work well; the guy is a perfectionist. Parts are cheap and plentiful as are mags. There is no 45 acp conversion available.

bykerhd
October 26, 2009, 11:16
I was going to mention the Mac, but after using a friend's, had been very unimpressed. The Lage conversion looks like it deals with the Mac's issues.
The friend and several of his friends had bought their Macs as a group buy sometime in the 80s for just a few hundred dollars each.
Pretty good investment so far.

I have tried the Uzis a few times and really like them. Except for their weight.
The ability to convert, especially to .22 is great. .22 ammo is still cheaper than reloading .45 or 9mm, last I checked anyway. I think they also offered the Uzi in .41 Action Express, but I think that cartridge has died the death of the unwanted. Could be wrong.

pmf
October 26, 2009, 12:19
There was a conversion kit for the 41AE, but I never understood what the hoopla was regarding that round. Given its relative usage, it was bound to be a scarce round made by only a few manufacturers who charge a lot for it -- not ideal properties for something your going to spray out of a machine gun.

The uzi is a little heavy, but that help negate any recoil. You can shoot the thing one handed if you wanted to. I would guess its no heavier than a Reising since you do need some bulk to shoot 45 acp in full auto.

bykerhd
October 26, 2009, 15:36
Could be wrong, but I think the .41 AE's main "advantage" was being a heavier caliber that was able to be used in guns built for 9mm.
It had a rebated rim so special slides/bolts weren't necessary.

I believe the .40 S & W put an end to any lingering hopes for it.
I'm not sure brass is even available anymore.

Jbird
October 26, 2009, 18:32
I have owned a Reising for a few years (since 1993). After I replaced all of the springs, I have shot thousands of rounds without any problem.

Parts are harder to find than many SMG's & mags are very expensive. But overall I like the gun.

Don't believe all of the negative comments about the gun's reliabilty. Most Reising owners that I have talked with are pleased with the gun's reliability. They are actually better than their reputations.

Also, don't believe the advertized rate of fire. Mine shoots around 1000 rpm, timed with a Pact IV timer.

snake
October 26, 2009, 20:04
thanks everyone for the replys pros and cons.found this rifle at ohio ordanance go and take a look..i do think that the Reising does get a bad rap.i know a couple guys that own and they really enjoy them,i agree parts can be hard to find at times. not sold on the Reising yet . it is parked, 12 rd mag and mag well so it would have to be replaced for highr cap mags.ohio ordanance has 10 of these for sale .

pmf
October 27, 2009, 08:29
Just curious, what does Numrich Arms ask for a reconditioned Reising? They're relaible and have good products and customer service, but I've found them to be pricely.

The Reising got a bad rap from Marines in WW2 who were issued them instead of Thompsons in the war against Japan. The guns work fine if kept clean, but not so well if they get dirty as they did slogging across the Pacific. I'm sure they're perfectly good guns to shoot and have fun with. The only problem I ever hear of are broken fins on the compensator.

I considered one some years ago, but bought a M11/9 instead. Costs of parts and mags turned me off (this was before the AWB ended and mags were really rare and expensive).

gunner30
October 27, 2009, 09:44
Uzi Talk has a sub forum for Reising owners, not overly active, but these would be the people to talk to

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=92&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=75

Gunner

Lee Carpentieri
October 27, 2009, 19:32
Snake, Whatever you decide to buy in an NFA weapon, Do a lot of research as to what spare parts/mags to buy and also remember this, You'll have to buy ammo by the case in order to enjoy that weapon you buy at a slightly more affordable shooting price. If you can wait and save some more money up, It will open up more opportunities to what you can buy as the NFA prices have been coming down due to different factors. But Good luck in whatever you decide on. Lee.

Deltaten
October 27, 2009, 20:12
Lee's got it pegged Snake!
Me??
I kinda like a Reising. Sorta a red-headed step-child; it's appealing just as it is. I've handled and shot a couple. I hear that the WW II Pacific Marines din't want it just 'cause it wasn't a Thomson! They earned the "unreliable" due to the action being just a tad too tight and more complicated...ie: uses a closed bolt system, just like the crap we gotta go thru to semi- a formerly select fire gun.

Other than that, the examples I've run across shot well. short bursts out to 100 yds are easy, trigger control was better than most tube guns I've shot. I've actually seen less trouble from the (limited) Reising's I've seen than anything other than a tweaked UZI. Of course. I'm talkin' .45, not 9mm.

I had an old fella trot one past me a few yrs ago at a show. Going rates at the time were $3800 and up. He wanted $3500 and it was in excellent shape. If I'da had a cople more coins in my pocket, I'da snapped it up , regardless of parts and mag issues.

Hawgleg44
December 10, 2009, 02:13
I was a little nervous about getting a Reising after reading about all the problems with parts breakage and fouling after only a few hundred rounds. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't listen and bought it anyway.

I got one from Mark at Summit Gun Broker this past summer and it's been problem free, except for a broken firing pin. After installing one of Ken Christie's titanium pins, it's still been problem free, and it has yet to malfunction on me.

The second time I fired it was at a private MG shoot at a club in E. Mass. I started with a clean Reising and continued to fire 1100 cast bullet reloads and another 400 Winchester USA jacketed bullets. No cleaning, but I did spray a little oil on the bolt every now and then. Number of malfunctions? None.

I had several people say they liked firing my Reising more than the Thompson at the table next to me.

Gazz
December 16, 2009, 09:15
I had the opportunity to shoot one a few months ago and was impressed. My short bursts stayed on target and produced a ragged hole unlike a Thompson which does climb to the right or an M3 which seems to just launch slugs in the downrange direction.

GiggleSmith
December 23, 2009, 18:55
My second Class III toy was a MAC 11/9, the first being a suppressor.

For a First Time Machine Gun I've find it very hard to top. It's cheaper than a Reising and easier to maintain. Upgrades are very reasonably priced.

There was this one time when I went Full Auto shooting with a Reising owner. He didn't have a single problem with his shooting that day. I wish I could remember how accurate it shot that day. But it's safe to say he enjoyed his shooting iron as much as I enjoyed mine.

vmtz
December 25, 2009, 09:58
I have shot the Reising. Nice gun. I prefer the UZI and as a plus there are lots of parts out there.

Here are a couple of videos.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ZYUf76Xzo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ZYUf76Xzo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QZZuEPjfoKs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QZZuEPjfoKs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fr. Vince

Fn/form
December 25, 2009, 10:12
That shooter needs to work on his stance...

moses
December 26, 2009, 19:28
My partner has a Reising and it shoots great! No problems.
I think they are the best deal going for a class 3 gun right now.