PDA

View Full Version : Question on adjusting Glock sights

Clip Johnson
October 25, 2009, 11:00
I have a Glock 23 Homeland Defender, which came with a tactical light, extended slide and mag release, and has the Trijicon night sights on it. I have shot about 100 rds through it and find that the gun consistently shoots to the left, even off a bench. So I assume the rear sight needs to be moved to the right until good results are achieved. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this? Or do I just need to take it to a gunsmith? I just don't want to risk damaging the self-luminous night sites.

toolman5256
October 25, 2009, 12:09
i have used a 2x4,a doll rod, and a small hammer to do mine and i worked very well. But i would suggest a sight pusher for it

Clip Johnson
October 25, 2009, 13:04
Thanks Toolman, do you have any suggestions on the best place to get a sight pusher?

Just curious, how exactly did you use the 2x4, doll rod, and hammer to accomplish this.

Survey Punk
October 25, 2009, 14:09
Yes, tell us about the "doll rod". :biggrin:

JB

4x401
October 25, 2009, 14:19
Be aware that the plastic factory rear sight doesn`t take kind`ly to being moved without using a Glock tool to do it. They deform rather easily. That said, I bought a generic sight pusher some time ago and it does a fair job. I think I ordered from Midway. You may want to consider ordering the adjustable rear from Glock. I believe they still be had for $25.00, decent sight for the money.

Clip Johnson
October 25, 2009, 14:26
I would hate to give up my Trijicon sight though. Gotta love those glow-in-the-dark sights.

Stranger
October 25, 2009, 14:42
Shooting to the left is the most common problem people with Glocks have and it is usually due to the shooter not the firearm. (Not necessarily that it is you problem, but bear with me.)

Possibilities are not taking up trigger slack, holding the trigger back after primer ignition, not resetting trigger after ignition, over-squeezing the grip with the bottom two fingers, and slapping the trigger.

However, I recently had a set of sights installed on a Kimber and the smith installed the rear sight WAY over to the left side. So, sometimes there really is a problem, but it is better to make sure it isn't yourself before running to the smith.

In addition, Glocks come from the factory with the sight set to the right of the slide. You might check and see where your sight is at right now. If its sitting dead center, you are correct in that it may need to be drifted to the right.

Clip Johnson
October 25, 2009, 15:52
Yeah, I wondered about that and that's why I tried it while on the bench in an attempt to eliminate the me factor. But it did the exact same thing.

The sight seems to be set right in the center of it's travel.

W.E.G.
October 25, 2009, 15:53
All my Glocks "shoot left" because I'm defective.

I bought the tool and adjusted the sights.
The rear sight on all of them now "sits to the right."
Now they shoot where I aim them, so long as I shoot right-handed.
If I shoot left-handed, the Glocks with the right-adjusted sights shoot way to the right.
I wonder if that Glock dude might have been left-handed.

You can buy the tool and keep it, or you can buy the tool and sell it after you use it.
If you sell the tool, you'll come out about even compared to paying a "gunsmith" to use his tool on your gun.

Stranger
October 25, 2009, 16:07
Originally posted by W.E.G.
... I'm defective.

Its good to recognize your faults. :rofl:

I find that if I am cognizant of my trigger control the factory sight settings are typically perfect.

Many people disagree with me, but I am hesitant to correct irons based on my predilections.

Maybe if I did correct them I might do better in competitions. I keep shooting the no-shoot targets tagged to the left of the browns. :(

W.E.G.
October 25, 2009, 16:28
Predilections?

You should get that looked at if it lasts more than 4 hours.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/glocksightsadjustedright.jpg

Clip Johnson
October 25, 2009, 20:40
Just curious, would a trigger job tend to be helpful in correcting a problem such as a "defective me" who is having some difficulty with grip or whatever else, or simply is just a good idea to begin with?

And if so, what are the recommendations here?

W.E.G.
October 25, 2009, 23:21
The Glock is a defensive pistol.

I know people modify them to play games.
That's fine when all you're doing is playing games.

When you are shooting at moving targets, I don't think dicking with the trigger is the answer.

Crank on the sight.
If you become a better defensive shooter, you can crank it back if that helps you.

vmtz
October 25, 2009, 23:24
Have you guys ever thought it might be finger placement?

Fr. Vince

Clip Johnson
October 26, 2009, 07:30
The Glock is a defensive pistol.

I know people modify them to play games.
That's fine when all you're doing is playing games.

When you are shooting at moving targets, I don't think dicking with the trigger is the answer.

Crank on the sight.
If you become a better defensive shooter, you can crank it back if that helps you.

Thanks W.E.G.!

Yeah, no game playing intended here, my wants and needs lie in having as mighty fine, reliable defensive weapon as I can.

Also, vmtz, I had altered my finger placement on the trigger whilst I was shooting it (from the most padded part of the first section of the index finger to the first joint), but didn't see any changes as far as the accuracy was concerned.

Stranger
October 26, 2009, 09:54
Originally posted by vmtz
Have you guys ever thought it might be finger placement?

Fr. Vince

You mean I might do better if I took them out of my ears?

Stranger
October 26, 2009, 09:54

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/glocksightsadjustedright.jpg

Wow, that REALLY cranked over to the right.

vmtz
October 26, 2009, 12:07
If you are right handed and you put your finger too far in you have a tendency to shoot the the left. If left handed to the right.

Fr. Vince