PDA

View Full Version : 60mm Mortar

AlaskanMBR
October 21, 2009, 22:58
Anyone here into mortars?

I've been itching to get one for a while now. Registered DD, of course. Practice rounds only, of course. :D

Basically what I'm looking for is redneck lawn darts on crack.

I have a line on a local guy who is selling one, I'm going to check it out as soon as I can. It comes with practice rounds and accessories.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what to look for when buying?

ggiilliiee
October 22, 2009, 17:30
have heard of fellas using beer cans full of concrete and black powder .....is that 60mm on a beer can OD.??..i dont drink .hehe ...it would make an amusing toy .....moose gun /??...P-tarmigan thumper..??..going to Nenana..???hehehe sounds cool ...tell us more ..

Deltaten
October 22, 2009, 19:27
one of my (loose) associates that is a type 7 (?) mfgr, does up a 60mm mortar from Brit (?) parts sets and a selection of hand-turned aluminum dummy rounds. IIRC, he has them set up for fused BP lift, so no DD needed.
Last I saw he was asking like $1200 for each set.
If yer at all interested, I could dig him up ta see what the deal is??

"Red-neck lawndarts"???
Save a chunk of change and do up a beer-can mortar.MNore fun that should be allowed :D. A good seamless/structural) tube from a trailer axle, a good welder and some bits'n'pieces will turn out right nice. A couple capsfull of FFg, a piece of Visco fuze and a bag o'sand are all that's needed! ;)
Of course, emptying the reloads is part of the fun; usually the night before; and ya can loft 'em 3-500 feet and as far as 3-500 yards on the level range. Make a great "direct-fire" weapon, too :eek:

Only trouble with my 75mm (3") "mortar, is that I hafta fill the pringle's singles or stringbean/corn cans with Gypsolite or concrete beforehand. and give 'em a few weeks ta dry out. The beer can launcher makes filling and shooting an extemporaneous event ;)

We spent some time one evening chasing a doe around the treeline at 300 (?) yds. Took her a while ta figger out WTF was goin' on; but when we dropped one just aft of her tail, she lit out right smart! :D

Lawn-dart enuff fer ya???

HTH,
Paul

AlaskanMBR
October 22, 2009, 20:39
Good info!

I was hoping to get a 60mm setup with the training rounds that are re-usable, and use a 20ga shell for propulsion then another on the "warhead" to make a loud pop upon impact for spotting purposes. Like this (no spotting charge in this version):

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/img/mortar/60b.JPG
http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19097&page=2

I'm pretty sure the guy who has the setup for sale has several of them that come with the package. If it's too spendy I will probably have to go with the black powder beer mortar.:eek: All that beer I'm going to have to drink- THE HORROR!:tongue:

ggiilliiee
October 23, 2009, 03:59
wow ...had no idea a 20 ga would get something like that into low orbit ...ill be durned ...awesome ...
lathe project a coming ....hehe

hey MBR i got a hell of a freind up round fairbanks..hed be happy ta help ya with a few of those cans ...he makes some dam good moose jerky too ....
ill bet you could fashion a nose cone with concrete patch and a mold and a stud to go into the wet concrete/beer can ..
put a piece of water pipe capped off on one end to take a cut down 12 guage round in the base of the can on centerline,secured in the crete ....(with trig /spring and F pin in the base of the tube to touch it off ..you could make a bunch of those cheap . ..wouldnt have to worry about dammaging the fancy round ...and a piece of sched 80 pipe beefed up at the base for the tube ....

GOVT1911
October 28, 2009, 03:40
I pieced my mortar together over a year or so. Found an M5 bipod/baseplate from one guy, had a BP tube built while I searched for a basecup/tube. Shot it as BP for awhile, then found a basecup (bought as a regular title 1 firearm) and then eventually went DD with a tube I got from the same guy I had bought the basecup from earlier.

Sherluk manufacturing has a pile of 60mm training rounds. buy a bunch, sandblast and paint and you're good to go. I keep saying I want to come up with a fuze/nose assy that fires a blank on impact, but haven't gotten aound to it. Wouldn't be too hard......

BlasterLP
October 28, 2009, 16:55
The new Small Arms Review magazine has an article about mortars, sub-caliber training inserts, etc.
It made reference to the 20 ga. lift charge....and also the spotter charge.
Interesting stuff!

Keep us posted on your progress!!

AlaskanMBR
October 28, 2009, 19:31
That article is what got me wanting one. :D

I'll keep you guys posted!

I haven't met the guy withe the mortar for sale yet, but I've heard he's got every accessory under the sun and twenty-something rounds for it. Of course, he wants a ton of money, but I'm going to try to negotiate and will maybe have to buy the whole thing and sell off the stuff I don't want.

GOVT1911
October 29, 2009, 11:33
well, post up here if you're looking to get rid of any accessories. I'm always looking for new toys for mine!

There are several guys (and a gal!) that are into mortars over on Grog's 37/40mm website, along with alot of other registered DDs.