PDA

View Full Version : N frame grip suggestions

FAL GRUNT
October 20, 2009, 20:00
Have a customers 629 that I am re-building. Taking the 6" barrel off and installing a 4". Removing factory sights and probably installing a set of Meprolight sights (any suggestions on that?). The one other thing the customer wanted was another set of grips. The current wood grips are enormous! It is a square butt, so I need some suggestions for a new set of grips.

I need something that will allow the use of speed loaders and is comfortable.

Any suggestions?

-myers

vmtz
October 20, 2009, 20:03
Hogue if I spelled ot correctly. Have a set on my 625 and my Model 19.

Fr. Vince

Para Driver
October 20, 2009, 20:41
hogue or pachmyer..

Indycar
October 20, 2009, 20:52
Convert it from square butt to round butt and you will have a lot more options. People with small hands don't seem to like square N frames.

I have have S&W factory Magna grips on a 4" M28 with a Tyler T grip and that is more comfortable to me than any other N frame grip on a 4".

There is a guy named Kurac on the http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php that makes affordable custom grips for S&W's. They are dead ringers for the old "coke bottle" grips from the 50's that most people think are the most comfortable N frame grips made. I have 2 sets and love both of them.

FAL GRUNT
October 20, 2009, 22:56
I wanted to avoid converting it, but the customer said go ahead. So... round butt it shall be.

Again, I need to make sure I can used speed loaders.

Anyone have experience?

-myers

CactusCapt
October 20, 2009, 23:01
Kurac's grips are fantastic! I have 4 pairs and another on order. For a cheaper solution, look at Ahrends grips. They are reasonable and fit the hand well. I shy away from rubber, except on stainless pistols. They sweat and cause rust, especially on blued pistols. BTW, did you buy that sideplate on GB for the Victory? If so, does it work?

FAL GRUNT
October 20, 2009, 23:09
Originally posted by CactusCapt
Kurac's grips are fantastic! I have 4 pairs and another on order. For a cheaper solution, look at Ahrends grips. They are reasonable and fit the hand well. I shy away from rubber, except on stainless pistols. They sweat and cause rust, especially on blued pistols. BTW, did you buy that sideplate on GB for the Victory? If so, does it work?

Bought it :) Waiting for it to arrive.

Will update

629 is stainless, so rubber doesn't worry me.

-myers

hooper
October 21, 2009, 21:37
I went the same route at "IndyCar" did. My 4" model 28 came with factory magna's and I installed a Tyler grip on it and could not be happier. Nice retro look as well.

stoner
October 22, 2009, 00:42
I have a 629 with an 8 3/8 bbl. I have thought about changing the bbl to a 6 ". Anybody got an idea what a 6" bbl would cost, and what I could get out of the 8 3/8" bbl?

Just looking for a ball park figures. Thanks guys in advance.

Regards, Stoner

owlcreekok
October 22, 2009, 20:06
I used Pachmayer Grippers on an L frame for PPC comp years ago. Workd with the Safariland comp speed loaders just perfect. Sorry, but no clue on the N frame.

However, I chirp up because if he wants to use speed loaders, he just might be wanting to dump cylinder fulls quick, reload and run again. (with a .44 , even half house that is gonna take practice, lol) The Gripper, vs the Hogue and the others, will, in my old experience, allow him to maintain palm-gun weld for the reload evolution. The slickery grips just won't do it as easily. Ya got to dance around with the gun a bit to make those work during re-charges.

That = $0.02

:beer:

FAL GRUNT
October 22, 2009, 21:06
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Especially your help owlcreek.

I don't know exactly what he'll be doing with the gun. All I know is I will be ordering a speed loader with the grips. Figure with a 4" barrel he might want a quick reload if need be. I doubt he'll be shooting competition.

I'll look into the Pachmayr Gripper's.

thanks again.

-myers

chet
October 23, 2009, 11:51
I hate rubber on a wheel gun. I have a set of Pachmayrs for my M27 and they just suck. The thing about rubber is that cotton shirts will stick to the grips if you are tryingto carry concealed. Also, in my experience wood tends to allow my hand to "roll" into position smoothly while rubber grips it right away. If you miss your grip with a set of rubbers you have to "reset" your grip. Not so with wood.

If you got a customer who is dropping some coin to get a fighting wheel gun, you want to steer him to folks like these. The last of the real fighting wheel gunners left the scene in the late 80's. But his designs can still be found if you are willing to look:

HERRETT's Roper Link (http://www.herrett-stocks.com/roper.htm)
http://www.herrett-stocks.com/images/roperful.jpg

Blu Magnum Skeeter Skelton style (http://www.blu-magnum.com/)
http://www.blu-magnum.com/Graphics/MVC-008F_med.jpg

Like Birdseye Walnut? Check out this guy's tribute to Skeeter Skelton:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/102781-skeeter-skelton-tribute.html

You will want to call but both of these grips have similiar Skeeter Skelton/Roper bloodlines. Both are tried and true N Frame designs. You'll need to let Herrett's know that you want clearance for a speed loader. Also, you probably want to call Blu Magnum a see if they are still producing right now (I think they have taken some breaks in the past.)

Make sure you post a pic when you are done.

Chet

BUFF
October 23, 2009, 19:50
Handgun grips, especially revolver grips, are such an individual thing that I can't imagine one person finding the ideal grips for someone else. Nobody has the same size fingers, palms or anything else as someone else. It is like you buying boots for him without him trying them on.

I carried revolvers at work for 10 years, practically always a S&W, a .357, mostly K frames but some N frames and an L frame or two. I shot on the department's pistol team when we mostly shot PPC and that was a revolver-only game then.

Nobody on our 8 man team had the same grips as anyone else even though all of us had K frame square butt match revolvers.

The harder a gun kicks, the more the grip dimensions matter. Add finger grooves and it gets even more complicated.

The rubber stocks are cheap enough that your customer should go to a gunshow, where there are lots of used grips for sale cheap, and try a bunch for the fit of his hands. If he is thinking about rubber, have him find the basic size, decide on if he wants finger grooves and then buy a set of both Pachmayrs and Hogues. Both will work with speed loaders. Then, let him shoot his gun with both. What may feel good with dry fire may be painful with hard-kicking Magnum ammo.

In a uniform, with an openly worn duty belt and holster, with no need for concealment, I started up with Pachmayr "Presentation" grips (neoprene) to begin with and was surprised when their then-new "Gripper" finger groove grips fit my hand, because no finger groove grip had ever fit me before. The Pachmayrs are harder, less 'sticky' than the softer Hogues. I used rubber Hogues with finger grooves on my match guns because the generous time limits allowed a slower, more deliberate draw stroke with more time available to pay attention to a more perfect grip placement, while a real live fighting draw may need to be really sudden and you may have a life riding on it.

Anything worn concealed wound up with wood grips.

Your customer will have to work that out for himself if he is serious about shooting that sixgun well.

1911guy
October 26, 2009, 09:00
I'm a Hogue fan. Have them on the 629. Nice

CactusCapt
October 26, 2009, 18:59
Be very careful hanging out at the S&W forums. You can easily end up willfully spending absurd amounts of money. Doc44 posts photos of his collection that result in uncontrollable drooling and heart palpitations! I actually use one as my desktop background...

FAL GRUNT
October 27, 2009, 10:49
Buff, those are kinda my feelings. The grips on my guns are because I love the feel of those grips. Him and I have different hands, what fits mine won't fit his.

I told him ultimately I can buy the brand he wants, but he'll have to decide what fits him best.

Chet, those grips are all beautiful, and while I am sure they are quite functional, they are not what I or my customer would want to have on a carry use gun. I appreciate the quality, trust me, I'm working a $300 piece of Turkish walnut into a stock for my grandfather, but $200 for the low end grips are a bit much to put on a $700 revolver that is going to get USED.

-myers

parallaxbill
October 27, 2009, 20:44
I have Hogues on my M27 and round butt M29. I hunt with them so they work well for that.

ThePitbullofLove
October 27, 2009, 23:15
I have these, but after putting them on my pistol, I went back to wood.

I never even shot the gun with these grips on. I much prefer the look of wood.

Pachmayr Presentation N-frame

http://images52.fotki.com/v728/photos/2/28682/2500463/IMG_1504-vi.jpg
http://images5.fotki.com/v67/photos/2/28682/2500463/IMG_1503-vi.jpg

I'll trade him straight for the wood grips :D

parallaxbill
October 28, 2009, 05:15
I don't like the smooth Pachmayrs but I do have a set of the finger groove type on my Contender. Brian, I prefer the looks of wood grips too but the handling of the Hogues.

chet
October 28, 2009, 11:17
Originally posted by FAL GRUNT

Chet, those grips are all beautiful, and while I am sure they are quite functional, they are not what I or my customer would want to have on a carry use gun. I appreciate the quality, trust me, I'm working a $300 piece of Turkish walnut into a stock for my grandfather, but $200 for the low end grips are a bit much to put on a $700 revolver that is going to get USED.

-myers
Hey, no sweat. To each his own. Although, if it was going to get USED, especially for self defense, I would say the dollar figure is even less important compared to fit and function if you are betting your life on them.

Chet

FAL GRUNT
October 28, 2009, 18:05
Originally posted by chet

Hey, no sweat. To each his own. Although, if it was going to get USED, especially for self defense, I would say the dollar figure is even less important compared to fit and function if you are betting your life on them.

Chet

:wink: You took the words right out of my mouth. I 100% agree with you, which is why I tend to buy only the best quality for my carry handgun. However... He budgeted $25-$50 for the grips. :rofl: Which is OK, I seriously doubt this will be a carry gun. Probably at best it will be an around the house gun.

I don't know!

So... i'm finishing up the work and then I will probably turn it over to him to pick the grips.

-myers

harleypower69
October 30, 2009, 13:36
I have one of the original Lew Horton model 629 Mountain Guns. I had some custom wood grips made. I sent an outline of my hand and they were done in smooth rosewood. Most comfortable grips I have ever shot. The gun does roll easily in the hand when shooting hot loads. Mine were done by a Native American who specializes in this type of work. I am embarrased to say I can't find my notes or invoice to give this craftsman credit for his good work.