PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casul

parallaxbill
October 03, 2009, 12:25
I can get one for $400 and change.

6" blued version nearly new condition.

Should I, shouldn't I? :)

background info;
I do deer hunt and I do handgun hunt, normally with my 44 mag, 41 mag, 357 mag and mostly with my 35 Remington Contender.

4x401
October 03, 2009, 14:30
If its in good shape, I`d probably pay that. Just to have as a "fun gun" to play with. They are a hand full for sure. As far as hunting with it goes, IMO your served as well with your afor mentioned arms. In my experience there`s nothing the 454 is going to do any better than the calibers you currently use, AND with alot less pain AKAIC. I haven`t hunted in a few years, but when I did, it was always with handguns. Started with all the magnums and went to a couple Contenders myself. One of my favorites was the .35 Remington also. Killed lots of deer with that one along with a couple elk. I did switch to the 14" .45-70 for elk though, it killed them alot better than the .35 Rem.

CG&L
October 03, 2009, 19:03
If you really want it, you should go ahead and get it.

It's possible it will old together but I would have doubts with the 454 Casul.

Some Taurus models are good(22s'), some are OK(M85 snub nose) and others suffer extreme failure.
It's a real crap shoot with Taurus but most in 357 Mag or larger seem to fail with regularity.

I've owned several Taurus models but got rid of all of them. You can buy a used, pin barrel S&W for about the same as a new Taurus, sometimes much cheaper.

I personally will never buy another Taurus unless it's a 22lr pump rifle and would certainly never pay $400 for any Taurus in any condition or any caliber. They're just not worth it.

I'm sure someone will come along and say "You're just a S&W snob" but I really don't care

AlaskanMBR
October 03, 2009, 19:54
You're a S&W snob! :tongue:

Just kidding.

:cool:

I've shot the 6" taurus RB .454 and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Shooting 300gr loads was not unpleasant, and it was accurate as hell. It appeared to be a well built firearm. Old tauruses are notoriously crappy tho.

I'd buy it for $400 right now, but not if i couldn't reload for it. Factory ammo is WAY too spendy for me.

easttex
October 03, 2009, 23:18
Based on my experiences, I'd pass. A .454 is way more handgun than I'll ever need. My old man has one and its real handful (hurts like hell when I shoot it).

Having shot his a few times, I can safely say that should I ever have a real need for a firearm that powerful, I'll reach for a .375 H&H or larger. A .454 is just too much...

Outlaw Patriot
October 04, 2009, 01:37
Not too long ago I shot some .454s through a 4" s/w .460 with a compensator on it, and I'd say even if you never plan on shooting .460's, thats the gun to get. The compensator was so effective it made the .454's feel about like shooting a hot .357 out of my 5.5" s/w 627. That is, if you plan on carrying this to defend from critters. If its just going to be a range toy, the $400 sounds like a great deal.

parallaxbill
October 04, 2009, 07:22
This is the ported model so I'm not worried at all about recoil with it. I've got a lot of magnum time in handguns.

Still not decided on it, trying to check my priorities to see if there is something else I need more.

Thanks for the input so far though.

flejl
October 04, 2009, 18:22
How well have you checked it out? Does the it cylinder lock and is the timing?

From what I have read, the RB is built like a tank, but have never fired one. Taurus has a lifetime warranty if it breaks, but have read mixed results about how well the support thier products.

The downside of 454, is the cost of the ammo...ouch!

I have a 6" Taurus M44 and have shot several hundred magnum rounds through it and it has held up well.

FOr what its worth, if its in good shape, go for it.

parallaxbill
October 04, 2009, 18:42
I've checked it out well. Timing is good as is lockup. As I said it looks pretty much new and the only thing I noticed that caught my eye initially was some light leading in the port slots. I am assuming that is from someone shooting lead 45 Colt bullets in it for practice. The bore looks very clean.

metalreptile
October 04, 2009, 20:02
I wouldn't want one myself. A friend of mine has one just like the OP described. He finally talked me into shooting it. I touched off three rounds & that was enough for me. I'm a pretty big guy & didn't really have a problem shooting it, but my wrist was sore for several days after just those three rounds! If I need that kind of power, I think I will just reach for something I can shoot from my shoulder! :D

AlaskanMBR
October 04, 2009, 23:21
I could get used to it for sure. At first I didn't want to shoot it, afraid of what it might do to the wrists, but after a few cylinders I was just starting to have fun. I'd buy it for $400 in a heartbeat, and shoot the hell out of it.

I show a ported 500 S&W recently, initially afraid it would hurt, but it was ok, even with the frickin buffalo loads. Damn those ported magnums are sweet.

parallaxbill
October 05, 2009, 04:32
Technique is everything when shooting heavy recoiling magnum pistols. You aren't supposed to fight the recoil with a death grip and stiff arms. You should learn how much to let the recoil be absorbed through your hands and arms. The only folks I've witnessed having problems with them fight the recoil and end up losing. :)

Recoil of heavy magnums has never been a concern to me. Rifles, more so because most of that recoil energy is transmitted right into your shoulder.