PDA

View Full Version : Browning Gold Medaalion

J MOSBY
October 01, 2009, 11:32
Last year I purchased a used Browning (308) hoping that it might be of some long range use, i've never shot it. I recently checked the barrel and it's a 1/14 twist. What good is it ?

hagar
October 01, 2009, 11:41
Palma shooters use a 1 in 13 or 14 twist to get to 1000 yards with the 155 grain bullets. Of course they push it to almost 3000 feet/sec out of their 30-32 inch barrels. Try a 155 grain Amax with 45 grains of Varget in a WW case, and it will do well at least up to 800 yards.

A 308 is not really a long range rifle. People only shoot it because they HAVE to. The 7mm magnum has as much velocity and energy at 1000 yards as a 308 has at 500.

J MOSBY
October 01, 2009, 12:03
Interesting. Thank you. It has a 20 1/2" barrel. Would it, uh, hurt anything at 800 yds ? What is a WW case ? At the present time I'm not in the mood to sink any money into it.

hagar
October 01, 2009, 12:10
WW = Winchester

Depends what you want to do at it. Very few people actually shoot, and fewer hunt, at more than 600 yards. Just finding a range and or a way of verifying your shots can be a problem. I'd say don't worry about it, just shoot it when you get the opportunity. It will definitely like the lighter bullets though, the 150-155 grainers should be about optimum in the 1 in 14 twist.

J MOSBY
October 01, 2009, 12:27
Maby what I'm getting at is, will it do anything that a FAL wont do ?

tac-40
October 01, 2009, 13:20
Maby what I'm getting at is, will it do anything that a FAL wont do ?

You are trying to compare apples to oranges. The FAL is a Battle Rifle and designed to hit human sized targets out to long ranges. The Browning is a hunting rifle and designed to make one shot kills on game. The Browning is most probably more accurate than the FAL. Or at least more consistant than the FAL.

hagar
October 01, 2009, 13:59
I'll go on a limb and say if I absolutely, positively have to hit my target with the first shot, I would pick one of my Remington Sendero/VS rifles, or maybe my 308 Tikka ISU rifle. Been messing around with iron sighted semi autos for the last 9 years, shooting highpower, tactical and steel plate matches, and I enjoy them even though I suck. Before that I hunted coyotes in AZ for 12 years with scoped varmint rifles, and I was seriously good at it. Give me a scope and a bipod any day! :beer:

Don't have too much experience with the Browning rifles, I do own a Micro Medallion in 22/250 with a 20 inch barrel that gave my 2 heavy barrels a run for their money. It is such a cool and pretty little rifle though that I never drug it out for any wet work.. :devil:

J MOSBY
October 01, 2009, 14:19
Alright. It gets one box of shells. I can't see good enough to use iron sights, I have a scope on almost everything.