PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 russian

zimm5
September 21, 2009, 16:14
has any body done any changes on the nagant 7.62 russian. i have heard several diff calibers would work any tips.thanks

molotov
September 21, 2009, 22:50
I'm pretty sure you can shoot .32 H&R mags out them. I would guess .32 S&W longs would work as well. Neither are cheap.

jdmcomp
September 22, 2009, 06:48
Just because you can do it does not mean that it is safe. Count your fingers and add two thumbs and ask what you would take for them.

A form of ammo which would be safe can be made from 32-20 brass from Starline. Just google for details.

molotov
September 22, 2009, 09:18
Just because you can do it does not mean that it is safe.

By all accounts I have seen it is safe to use .32 H&R out of them. They are very slightly undersized (in comparison to the 7.62) and sometimes get a bit sticky, but are supposed to work just fine.

Retired Bum
September 22, 2009, 15:03
I have a Tula Arsenal Nagant M1895 dated 1931.

I had one box of Fiocchi 7.62x38R factory ammo tucked away and then got lucky and found four more boxes of it for only $20 a box.

I handload all of the various .32 revolver cartridges and the .30 M1 Carbine. The Fiocchi brass is boxer primed and by using dies for the various rounds I can handload a workable 7.62 mm cartridge. I trim the case down which eliminates the gas seal feature of the revolver. I use the Hornady .32 HBWC bullet seated flush with the case mouth over a small amount of Bullseye. This load shoots more or less to point of aim in the old Nagant and I don't have to worry about bulged cases. It is a pain in the butt to assemble, but that doesn't deter me from loading it.

I was tempted to buy one of those .32 ACP chambered cylinders that are offered. But decided against it. What I don't understand is that if a .32 ACP cylinder can be made, then why not one for the .32 H&R Mag or even the old .32-20. The Nagant may be an ugly duckling, but it is a strongly designed and made ugly duckling.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

zimm5
September 22, 2009, 20:29
thanks everyone. i wonder if you can modify the currant cylinder for 32-20 it seems pretty close but i haven't examined a case closely:fal:

jdmcomp
September 23, 2009, 06:19
You can do anything with enough money, but why? 32-20 rims are too thick with the exception of Starline. I guess you could face off the back of the cylinder but then you are running into money for what purpose.

Nagant ammo is available at a price no higher then most other pistol ammo (9mm excepted) and Lee dies with Starline brass works. 32-20 ammo is not cheap either. If you do not reload then just buy ammo. There is even some surplus available. No matter how strong these pistols are said to be they were chambered and designed for a low power round and made mostly in war time under conditions that leave some doubt as to how sturdy they may be. If you must change caliber use the 32 auto cylinders available. It is 50/50 as to the cylinder fitting ok.

bykerhd
September 23, 2009, 20:03
Century was marketing a .32 caliber cylinder for Nagant revolvers which would allow them to safely shoot .32 S & W ? or whatever. Probably the better way to go if you really plan to shoot it.

Opie
September 24, 2009, 00:56
I just shoot what its supposed to....mainly because I don't have the funds to get a cylinder, and 32 H&R is hard to come by here.

tracyballard
September 25, 2009, 00:46
.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum can all be fired safely in a Nagant, although the cases might bulge because the taper of the cylinder is different, not a danger though. This doesn't really happen with the stronger .32 mag cartridges. Although the current Nagant ammo is only loaded to about 750 fps, russian military ammo was loaded hotter and had about the same power as the .32 H&R mag.

akajun
September 26, 2009, 12:12
aA friend had one that he sent the cylender off and rechambered it to 7.62x25. It was pretty bad ass. However I have not been able to find anyone willing to do that conversion for me, and I think that doing it myself on my harbor frieght mini mill is way above my abilities.

mutter
September 26, 2009, 18:57
7.62 is 30 cal and 32 cal ammo may fit in the cylinder but it does one hell of a squeeze to get down to 30 cal. I listened to others and tried 32 SW longs. The 1st round was reasonably accurate if you are into 20 moa guns. After that they were all over the place. When I cleaned the gun a question stuck in my mind.

WTF, is this a smooth bore gun?

Then, after picking lead lining out of my barrel for 4 hours and finding the rifling, I called my dad. His very demeaning and yet true response: I told you dumbass that you don't shoot a 32 cal bullet in a 30 cal gun.

Hmm: yep he was right. Your face, your gun and your decision. I decided to pull my head out and went and bought some Fiochi reload-able ammo. Accuracy is excellent now and the brass is easily reloaded.

Your face, your fingers, your gun.

Most of all, your decision!

zimm5
September 27, 2009, 21:19
thanks for all responces. my coworker bought one and he was wanting something more powerfull .i build plastic injection molds for a living( like a machinest but better) so any machine work would be easy peasy .I personally am thinking about a star super modello

bykerhd
September 27, 2009, 21:34
Actually, I think some of the .32s are loaded with .308 bullets these days.
But, you are right mutter. You shouldn't shoot .32s through a .30 caliber.
So the ammo REALLY should be checked out BEFORE you stuff it in one of those things and try to shoot it.:wink:

tracyballard
September 27, 2009, 21:42
nagant barrels tend to measure around .305 - .310, .32 bullets are .312, so it's not that big of a difference, even though nagant bullets are only .295.