PDA

View Full Version : Got me an Enfield No4 MK2!

MalcS
September 15, 2009, 08:50
Woo Hoo! Irish contract rifle. Probably paid too much ($699) but that seems to be the going rate at the moment (saw one just like it go for $2k, (inexplicably) on GB the other day).

Should be in hand by the end of the week.

Unfired (for now)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-3.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-14.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-12.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-4.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-5.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/N4-6.jpg

M1950
September 15, 2009, 09:19
I got my No 4 Mk 2 from century as a 'u-fix-em'. Had a trashed stock, no magazine and was all beat to hell. New wood, a good cleaning, and a mag from the parts box, and I'm still into it for less than $100.

ftierson
September 15, 2009, 10:13
Originally posted by MalcS
Woo Hoo! Irish contract rifle. Probably paid too much ($699) but that seems to be the going rate at the moment (saw one just like it go for $2k, (inexplicably) on GB the other day).

Should be in hand by the end of the week.

Unfired (for now)

It looks like a beauty.

Have great fun with it...

:)

Forrest

Aldwin
September 15, 2009, 13:23
You've got the twin sister to my Enfield. Exactly the same, before she had the ATI Monte Carlo stock fitted (sorry about that :tongue: )

The biggest problem i had was it's age. Mine is from 1956 and lived in a box untill 2006 and fired about 200 rounds in her life.

The stock had set over time and when i fired her, the first few rounds were all in the same hole, so very accurate on the 100 meter range.

But, when she warmed up, the rounds moved to the right. Even to the next target 50 cm further.
The stock pushed against the barrel and pushed it to the right.
After cooling down, rounds in the same hole again, so the problem was obvious.

After i put the free floating stock on, that problem was gone. Now it's a perfect target rifle.

I hope that you don't have the same problem.
If you do, you can take out a small amount of wood around the barrel so it has a "breathing area".

I love my Enfield, such a simple and easy rifle.

Congrats to you with your find, it's a beauty.

[edit] I payed 450,00 including about 800 rounds........ :biggrin:

MalcS
September 16, 2009, 07:59
Thanks for the story about yours. I just hope mine shoots OK as-is, since I want to keep it with the original stock.

I wonder if any modification to your original stock would have fixed the problem?

Originally posted by Aldwin
You've got the twin sister to my Enfield. Exactly the same, before she had the ATI Monte Carlo stock fitted (sorry about that :tongue: )

The biggest problem i had was it's age. Mine is from 1956 and lived in a box untill 2006 and fired about 200 rounds in her life.

The stock had set over time and when i fired her, the first few rounds were all in the same hole, so very accurate on the 100 meter range.

But, when she warmed up, the rounds moved to the right. Even to the next target 50 cm further.
The stock pushed against the barrel and pushed it to the right.
After cooling down, rounds in the same hole again, so the problem was obvious.

After i put the free floating stock on, that problem was gone. Now it's a perfect target rifle.

I hope that you don't have the same problem.
If you do, you can take out a small amount of wood around the barrel so it has a "breathing area".

I love my Enfield, such a simple and easy rifle.

Congrats to you with your find, it's a beauty.

[edit] I payed 450,00 including about 800 rounds........ :biggrin:

brownknees
September 16, 2009, 08:44
My #4 MkII had a sighting problem when I got it. It shot way off (high) with the fitted sight.
Based on a tip I found on an Enfield site I degreased the cosmo from the stock, both inside & out, with alcohol & used a lot of BLO. The first couple of coats of BLO I diluted 1:1 with alcohol as well to get deep penetration. The stock had shrunk in storage & the BLO swelled the wood again & it came back to as-issued point of aim.
:beer:

MalcS
September 17, 2009, 12:38
Thanks for the tip.

I have no idea when this rifle was taken out of storage and cleaned up, but I'm going to take it apart and get any cosmoline out of it and give it a thorough once over before shooting, and re-oil the stock as you suggest and keep fingers crossed!

owlcreekok
September 17, 2009, 13:07
No 4's are arguably the best military BA rifle there is.

I won't argue it though.

Mine is a "restored" (my yours truly) but all original as near as I can tell, Savage No. 4 Mk 1

It has, during it's tenure with me, put an off the shelf Remington 700 to shame. :shades:

brownknees
September 17, 2009, 13:18
When you tear it down & clean you have a perfect oppertunity to put several coats of oil on the inside as well. After the alcohol the wood will be so dry the first coat will vanish darn near immediately BTW. I kept adding a coat a day, both inside & out, till it quit being absorbed into the wood.

You'll also have a chance to check out the barrel channel, knox form (recoil recess) at the rear of the barrel & the mating surfces of the wood.

The shiny parts indicate conract with the action & are a great tool for checking for bedding.

Just don't forget to remove the cross bolt before removing the forend & pull it of strait down, without tilting.
:whiskey:

dfletcher
September 17, 2009, 18:40
I have a 1955, CAI import marked. Blondish wood same as pictured above.

So what are the thoughts on mounting the repro scope mount that's offered by Numrich Arms? It means drilling & tapping the otherwise "looks good as new" receiver.

bykerhd
September 17, 2009, 23:26
dfletcher
Find a decent No. 4 Mk I to drill and tap.
There are tons of decent ones around for half-way reasonable prices.
Your Mark 2, once altered, will be worth less than what you'll pay for the Mark I.
Of course the Mark I will also be worth less after altering. But, it's not worth anywhere near what the Mark 2 is to start with. Most of them anyway.

brownknees
September 18, 2009, 08:50
Have the best of both worlds.
Use a good no-drill no-tap mount.

AndyC
September 18, 2009, 09:28
What's the difference between the No4 Mk1 and 2?

I owned one of the former back in South Africa (a navy guy sold it to me, fresh out of the box - after 10 yrs of service, he was allowed to purchase it from the navy for R50 - about $7)

Edit: Never mind, found it - the Mk1's trigger is attached to the trigger-guard and the others to the receiver.

owlcreekok
September 18, 2009, 09:42
Not being well educated on these, Andy, I can offer that the backsight is the major difference in this example and my Mk 1. I see a little 'button' on the right side of this one just forward of the bolt handle. No clue what that is, but mine does not have it.

The few rifles I have handled with the 'ladder' sight had backsights in poor repair, so I cannot speak highly of them in practice.

My backsight is a gaping hole even set on the short range. My present eyesight greatly exacerbates this disadvantage. :sad:

MalcS
September 18, 2009, 10:13
Briownells show this no gunsmithing one for Enfield No4 and No5:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mshedden/CADTECHNIKENFIELD45MOUNT.jpg

which I believe is well rated by those that know for use on British made rifles

Currently out of stock at Brownells.

CAD Technik Enfield mount at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1502/Product/ENFIELD_No__4___No__5)

Originally posted by brownknees
Have the best of both worlds.
Use a good no-drill no-tap mount.

dfletcher
September 18, 2009, 15:30
Originally posted by bykerhd
dfletcher
Find a decent No. 4 Mk I to drill and tap.
There are tons of decent ones around for half-way reasonable prices.
Your Mark 2, once altered, will be worth less than what you'll pay for the Mark I.
Of course the Mark I will also be worth less after altering. But, it's not worth anywhere near what the Mark 2 is to start with. Most of them anyway.

But my No2 is pretty - and I want a "purty" sniper rifle. :)

Seriously, I do get the point. I've never really thought of the average Enfields as being higher end rifles or much desired, I suppose I could scope around for a No4 MkI.

Regarding the "no drill" mounts, the CAD is the only one I've seen that has the correct look and is stable, Brownells has been out for a long, long time on these. But everyone says they do work well.

brownknees
September 18, 2009, 15:42
Originally posted by AndyC
What's the difference between the No4 Mk1 and 2?

I owned one of the former back in South Africa (a navy guy sold it to me, fresh out of the box - after 10 yrs of service, he was allowed to purchase it from the navy for R50 - about $7)

Edit: Never mind, found it - the Mk1's trigger is attached to the trigger-guard and the others to the receiver.
That's the main thing, it's supposed to have a more consistant pull than the Mk1's with the trigger being effected by stock wood.

There are a couple of other minor (but bloody frustrating) differences as well.

MkII has the bolted in frontsight blade, which needs the reversed screwdriver to adjust.
The rear of the forestock has a crossbolt that goes thru the bracket for the trigger, instead of the reinforcing "tabs" on the MkI. It also needs a special screwdriver (blade with a cutout in the middle)

As for backsights I think the screw adjusted (micrometer) sight & the 2 versions of the click lever stamped one were pretty much interchangable as I've seen both.

brownknees
September 18, 2009, 16:03
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Not being well educated on these, Andy, I can offer that the backsight is the major difference in this example and my Mk 1. I see a little 'button' on the right side of this one just forward of the bolt handle. No clue what that is, but mine does not have it.

The few rifles I have handled with the 'ladder' sight had backsights in poor repair, so I cannot speak highly of them in practice.

My backsight is a gaping hole even set on the short range. My present eyesight greatly exacerbates this disadvantage. :sad:
You mean the ribbed "tab" about 1" in front right at the junction of the wood & metal?

If so that's the Mk1 bolt release lever, dropped on the Mk1* in favour of a cut in the rail, & reinstated on the MkII.

If you remove your bolt by bringing it back about 2" & flipping the bolt head up thru the cut you've got a Mk 1*. On this version you push the tab down, pull the bolt all the way back & release the tab to flip the bolthead up.:beer:

Brass Rat
September 20, 2009, 12:22

Was it one of the factory composite stocks or something wood?

Aldwin
September 20, 2009, 12:49
It's the composite one. Before that i had a wood set from a carbine that i worked on to make it fit on the 4-2.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv332/Big-AL02/DSC01719Large.jpg

I do agree, the wood set looks SOO much better, but i need the black set for better grip.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv332/Big-AL02/MVC-017S.jpg