PDA

View Full Version : Close-in weapon from DSA

NavyRedneck
September 11, 2009, 19:50
I have one other DSA FAL that I really like and since I already have ammo/mags for it I would like to buy another one as a second gun. The first has a 21" barrel and is great as a long range/woods weapon.

For the second one I would like something with an emphasis on closer shooting. I definitely want the para stock but not sure how short to make the barrel although anything shorter than 16" is out since I don't want to pay NFA taxes.

It needs to cost under $2000 retail
I prefer parts similarity between weapons and I'm not sure if the short gas system causes a big disparity there or not (ie does it affect the upper receiver?)

What is worse if you have to shoot a FAL in a confined space? Flashhider or muzzle brake? I think the shorter barrel would be worse with the muzzle flash.

Is it better just to forget it and bite the bullet and buy a .223 ar-15 and buy the new ammo and mags? I keep hoping DSA will start selling ar-15's...

NSR500
September 14, 2009, 04:44
Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.dsarms.com/images/SA58ELITE.gif

SIG552
September 14, 2009, 06:38
Originally posted by NavyRedneck
I have one other DSA FAL that I really like and since I already have ammo/mags for it I would like to buy another one as a second gun. The first has a 21" barrel and is great as a long range/woods weapon.

For the second one I would like something with an emphasis on closer shooting. I definitely want the para stock but not sure how short to make the barrel although anything shorter than 16" is out since I don't want to pay NFA taxes.

It needs to cost under $2000 retail
I prefer parts similarity between weapons and I'm not sure if the short gas system causes a big disparity there or not (ie does it affect the upper receiver?)

What is worse if you have to shoot a FAL in a confined space? Flashhider or muzzle brake? I think the shorter barrel would be worse with the muzzle flash.

Is it better just to forget it and bite the bullet and buy a .223 ar-15 and buy the new ammo and mags? I keep hoping DSA will start selling ar-15's...

DSA already make AR style rifles, or at least they did last time I looked. Look in the Marketplace, there was a DSA special on barreled uppers last week.

A short gas system does generate some disparity.The gas piston and gas piston spring are unique to the short gas weapons. Likewise, the handguard. It doesn't affect the upper receiver whatsoever.

Short FALs are quite fun when it comes to muzzle pressure. A brake concentrates that pressure in a certain direction which enhances the effect nicely :)

HTH,

SIGgie

DSARep
September 14, 2009, 07:50
We certainly do sell ARs. See our site for the product line, and as pointed out above we have a sale underway on lowers, uppers, barrels, and barreled uppers. See my posts in the Marketplace or EE over at AR15.com.

If you want to stick with the FAL, our 16" guns run just as well as the longer ones. There is an increase in muzzle blast as with any shorter barreled gun relative to a longer barreled one in the same caliber. I do not find that it bothers me at all. I have a 16" and the rest of my FALs are 18". I completed our rifle training course at Team Spartan largely using a 16" SA58 and had zero issues.

Hope that helps!

John

ostrobothnian
September 14, 2009, 08:01
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/sonja_minifal01.jpg

:)

DSARep
September 17, 2009, 12:48
I love that picture! I need to get the Mrs. behind a FAL one of these days.

:D

John

NavyRedneck
September 19, 2009, 12:05
I can never get the link to work on the DSA homepage that is for ar-15. I figured they were still under development.

I've also noticed that you have a:
SA58CP16 with para stock and 16.25" barrel but not a short gas system
SA58TACP with para stock and 16.25" barrel but has a short gas system

Can anyone explain the differences to me?

thank you

NSR500
September 19, 2009, 23:33
The difference you are asking about is in the gas system. If you look at the rifle picture in my top post, it has the short gas system. If you take a look at the picture below, it has the standard gas system.
Look at the length of the handguard and the distance from the gas block to the receiver.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/SA58CP.gif

ostrobothnian
September 20, 2009, 02:03
l like that pic too.

Thanks John. An always thank you for the shirt :).

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/G1atquarry011.jpg

Skilter
September 21, 2009, 21:57
I like my 16 incher as well... A definite go to gun for me. But, I don't know if I would like shooting that thing in a hallway at night without hearing protection.

Now, what would be AWESOME is a FAL style shotgun based around a FAL style magazine. I seriously think it could be done.

jimmbob
September 27, 2009, 14:33
Good idea Skilter! I think I would even consider selling my Benelli M4 Tactical and get me one of them. Nice concept!