PDA

View Full Version : Anything I should know about a Webley MkIV?

Colosseum
August 19, 2009, 19:05
Been thinking about getting one off Gunbroker for a while. Is there anything I should look out for/avoid?

jdmcomp
August 20, 2009, 07:07
Seems I remember that these are black powder guns, not suitable for smokeless loads, certainly not for 45acp as many were converted for. Best check my memory, but I think Vs and VIs were the first smokeless and then not for the 45acp unless loaded down.

jdmcomp
August 20, 2009, 07:10
Unless you are talking about the later mark IV which was in 38/200 calibre which is ok to shoot with 38 S&W ammo.

Retired Bum
August 20, 2009, 17:29
The British military made the transition to smokeless powder aka cordite for the .455 round before the Mark IV was adopted as the replacement for the Mark III.

The new cordite loaded round was designated as the .455 Webley Mark II. The Mark I round was loaded with black powder. Cordite is more powerful per grain that black powder. So the Mark I case was shortened so as to eliminate unused powder space and also save on the amount of brass needed to make the shorter Mark II case.

From what I have read, even the black powder proofed Mark I could be used with cordite Mark II. During WW2 when handguns were in short supply, every .455 Webley regardless of mark was pulled out of storage and issued with Mark II rounds. Kynock produced the wartime .455 up until at least 1943. I have a round headstamped "K43" in my cartridge collection.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

jdmcomp
August 21, 2009, 07:30
Dont no Bum, I keep finding this warning online

Please note that the Mark VI was designed for the .455 Webley which has a maximum operating pressure of 12,700 PSI. The .45 ACP runs more like 18,000 PSI, so even though most Webleys have been modified to fire .45 ACP, it doesn't mean that's a good idea! Every time you pull the trigger on an ACP, you're essentially proof testing the gun!

So even the smokeless was loaded very lightly.

Brian in MN
August 30, 2009, 09:42
He's asking about the mark 4, not the mark 6.

jdmcomp
August 30, 2009, 14:44
problem is Brian, we do not know which Mk IV he is referring to, the big bore or the small bore version.

Temp
September 01, 2009, 09:29
choot it