PDA

View Full Version : Colt U.S. Army Model 1917 Revolver, "Rare Variation"

ltcboy
August 19, 2009, 18:16
Hi all-

I just bought a Colt 1917 off Gunbroker. The pistol seems nice, have yet to get it. I always wanted one, but I never really had the gumption to actually buy one until I saw the one that I am referencing.

Here is the description, "Colt U.S. Army model 1917 revolver, service number 69034. Original finish, excellent bore and cylinders. Has two barrel marking features that only occur in a narrow serial number range: APR 9, 01 patent date used by mistake, and “UNITED STATES PROPERTY” with quote marks."

Here is the the link, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=136810235

My question is this, have any of you heard of this? The only reference I could find was in a booklet written buy Bob Murphy called "Colt New Service Revolvers". It only mentions the patent date stamping error. I could not find anything about the United States Property being in quotes as a rarity or being unusual.

Do any of you know about this regarding the Colt 1917?

Thanks-

Mike

BUFF
August 20, 2009, 02:21
Colt made about 150,000 1917's for the military during WWI, so they (Colt 1917's in general) are not scarce. Even so, original finish 1917's aren't common and all former U.S. military weapons have really escalated in value over the last 10 years.

I know nothing about the incorrect patent date markings.