PDA

View Full Version : 308 Mauser

meminind
August 19, 2009, 09:30
I have a sporterized 98 Mauser in 8mm I want to rebarrel in 308 to match my other guns. I'm trying to standardize ammo. Any ideas on what kind and where to get barrels, prices, and where to get work done? Money is definately an object. Thanks in advance for your time. :fal:

Ron Walker
August 19, 2009, 11:13
Try Midway for their Adams & Bennett barrels. Amazingly good barrel for the money. They're short-chambered so you'll have to borrow, rent , or buy a reamer to headspace. Second choice is E R Shaw barrels, excellent barrel for the money. You can order them either short-chambered or send your action in and they'll mount and headspace for a reasonable fee. Note: they''ll be chrome-moly in the white, so finishing is involved, or you can get a stainless from Shaw.
One other note: If your 98 is a 24 or 48 Yugo, the standard 98 barrel will not fit, the breech is different, as is the Turkish 98s.
Good Luck, Ron

mitchellh
August 29, 2009, 12:07
Cole Distributing has NOS .308 barrels for the mauser.

98K Replacement Barrels
#BAR03 Size 1

Price: $99.95
Norwegian 98K replacement barrels.New old stock Norwegian made replacement barrels, Caliber 7.62x51mm (Nato 308)Short chambered for easy installation and headspacing.No Rust,no pitting.Good clean barrel threads.No front sight or sight base. No rear sight or rear sight base. Proper length for 98K rifle, Proper contour for the 98K. These barrels were produced for the Norwegian military.These barrels are for the conversion of captured WW2 German 98K rifles to standard Nato calibers. 2/$189.95
***PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING AND HANDLING***

http://www.coledistributing.com/

Randy Kline converted 3 of my mausers using these barrels, He goes by name Sledgehammer (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=786) on the board.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6140/l1030584edited1u.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/l1030584edited1u.jpg/)

RG Coburn
August 30, 2009, 18:49
Are additional parts required for an 8mil to 7.62x51 conversion? Followers?

mitchellh
August 30, 2009, 19:32
All I sent Randy were the rifles and the NOS barrels. Thats it, no other parts, the barreled receivers were reblued after the conversion.

RG Coburn
August 30, 2009, 19:45
I have a 45 DOU with laminate stock and cupped buttplate,no import stamps.Would I be foolish to do the conversion? I'm not sure which are rare and which aren't. Original 8mm barrel is not great.Not toasted,but not new or excellent.

mitchellh
August 30, 2009, 20:26
RG,

Someone over in the Mauser sub-forum at Gunboards.com would be able to let you known about your rifle, and they would advise against the conversion.

Me, I have no 8mm and didn't want to stock another caliber. I have plenty of SA 7.62X51 surplus and wanted a back up to the FALs.

Ron Walker
August 31, 2009, 18:28
RG, my advice is to leave it as is. It is late war production so is not appealing for customizing work, and it is worth a lot more in original issue condition. If you want a custom buy one of the Brno/CZ barreled actions being sold by companies like R guns and J&G and redo it. Ron

wildwilly
September 01, 2009, 17:02
Product ID: RI1419 Condition: Poor Incomplete
Austrian K98, Cal. with dark bore. or any of the other 98 mausers. Sell the left over parts for any bolt parts you need. They are missing parts but you are going to use a short chambered barrel anyway. Should be able to do the whole thing for less than $200 dollars if you have the tools.

Fleabus
September 05, 2009, 14:59
Mitchell, Nice looking pieces you have. If you did the wood they turned out well. Used to collect old mausers. Still have some various "short rifles" in 7 and 8mm. Kudos on those pictured. J R...

PASHOOTER
September 16, 2009, 16:06
I have two sporter 98s I rebarreled using Adams & Bennett barrels, one 338-06 , the other in 30-06. At the time I did this ( 5 years ago) A&B barrels were being made by E.R. Shaw. I don't know if they still do. The barrels shoot well, both sub MOA. The 338-06 was used to take 6 African animals in August 05. You need to modify for the 06 calibers but not the 308. I have a VZ24 action rebarreled in 308 using an Israeli military barrel an no other modifications. Mausers are easy to work on. Have Fun!

saltshaker
September 16, 2009, 16:31
Interesting that there is a difference in the Turkish rifle threads...Glad you posted this as I was contemplating the same thing......as a back up 308 bolt gun.......hmmm.
I have a "fine" example of a Turkish "short" rifle I think that it's called....Got It in a trade, cleaned it up an was thinkin that the rebarrel jobby would be fun for my son and I to do as I understand that the rifle is not really collectible material..........My Mauser Knowlege is sadly lacking fer sure.......

saltshaker
September 21, 2009, 00:04
Mabey I am barking up the wrong tree. I assume that the 308 round has a smaller chamber dimension so reaming it a different cal. like 308 is out of the question?
I could go to the garage and measure but wife and I are tucked in for the evening and I don;t want to push my luck.....Any Turkish barrels in 308 available? Might just have to buy some surplus 8mm ......any suggestion on a good batch to look for? Thank you for your help w/ the questions fellas..
Larry

Yep no way need a new bwarrel any thoughts? would like to keep the military profile.......L

saltshaker
September 22, 2009, 00:53
:fal: